“Fantastic hotel to stay in before safari” 5 of 5 stars

Sankara Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Woodvale Grove, Westlands, Nairobi 00606, Kenya   |
Ranked #12 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic hotel to stay in before safari”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

A hidden gem of a hotel in Nairobi.We stayed here for a couple of nights to get over our jet lag and chill out before flying off on Safari.It was fantastic.Not too big,excellent staff,fab rooftop pool and very good food

Room Tip: All the rooms are good but the higher up and/or executive club slightly better
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

365 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I visit Nairobi often, but this was the first time I've stayed at the Sankara. My review may well be influenced by the fact that i was upgraded to a suite, but the room was outstanding, the service was excellent and the bar on top of the building was a great place to be on a warm Nairobi evening.

The only downside is the cost - there are certainly cheaper options in the city, but it's a great place to indulge

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Lovely hotel in Nairobi, completely new and in a great location, right from the pickup from the airport with a Mercedes upto the check out all very very good.

Would recommend it to anyone who comes to Nairobi. would definately stay here whenever in Nairobi.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
greatexpectationss
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Good if pricey, well located.

Beds overly soft - loved by some, hated by others.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

So, we didn't actually stay here. My girlfriend/long lost cousin and I took the kids out for breakfast after church (we are ex-pats living in Nairobi) and got to restaurant at 11:15, 15 mins after they stopped serving breakfast. The staff were cordial but rigid that we couldn't order anything but would have to wait 45 minutes for brunch. The prospect wasn't all together appealing so we asked to see the manager . After a short discussion. he set us up in the coffee area, assigned the charming, Michael to wait on us and 15 minutes later we were tucking into well made beautifully presented dishes. The kids cleared their plate (always a good sign) and I ate most of my muesli served in a huge red wine glass with what tasted like home made yogurt. Michael was very attentive and the manager returned once to find out how we were getting on. There was a slight lapse in service between courses but on the whole the staff were warm and efficient. I questioned them closely about the muesli mix and they must have thought I was potty. However for those of us with sensitive stomachs it's important to know what's in a dish. Alas I have suffered all day from IBS and I can blame it squarely on the muesli. However as a goodwill gesture they had not charged us for it, so I won't deduct a star either for my stomach ache! It was a nice outing although being Sankara, rather pricey.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

This was my first time staying at the Sankara Hotel in Westlands. I have stayed in a number of hotels in Nairobi including Tribe and Serena, but this one has the best rooms by far. The rooms are larger, the beds are bigger, the bathrooms are spacious, and with satelittle tv. There is a nice poolside bar upstairs where you can have wine, cocktails, tapas, or shisha. There is a gym which is fine for cardio but could use some heavier weights. The hotel restaurant is very good and features a really good breakfast with a mix of Indian, Kenyan, and other foods. Cybercafe with several computers provided to guests with no charge. If no traffic, it is ten minutes away from the UN Regional headquarters, and a number of embassies including the U.S. Embassy. I plan to stay in this hotel during future trips to Nairobi.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

In my 20+ reviews I've never written one as good as this.

Look, it's expensive. It's eight times the price of the hotel I stayed in last night. But I returned here, having stayed last weekend also, because it's just unbelievably good.

Rooms are modern and immaculate with not a scuffmark on them. The window in the bathroom to allow you to watch telly in the bath (with in-bathroom volume control) reminds me of the Westin Sydney which was my favourite hotel a decade ago. Bed is unbelievably comfortable, doing that trick that refurbished Marriotts do of having an under-duvet/comforter, but it seems like there's memory foam in there somewhere too.

But it's the service here that gets to you. Everyone you meet seems genuinely friendly and helpful. I stay in dozens of hotels a year, but I only see this service perhaps once every two or three years - Taj Goa, Ritz-Carlton St Louis, Imperial Delhi, Gritti Palace Venice are other hotels I can remember that also exhibit this friendly understated excellence.

I came back from a late lunch to find my bed being stripped and all the linen replaced as they were performing a turndown service with slippers - I only checked in at lunchtime today and had dozed for a couple of hours. A call for a shaving amenity kit was answered within one ring, and turned up within two minutes.

The rooftop bar is amazing. Great place to take a date, or just hang out alone. There's a small pool there too, if you like that sort of thing. The gym looks amazing too - I really should go.

If you're looking for a top-class hotel outside of the big chains which in Nairobi appear to be trading on their global reputations hawking tired old rooms and lousy service, then your choices really come down to Sankara in Westlands and Tribe in Village Market (which is way off the beaten track, and only much use to you if you have business at the UN). I've stayed at both, and in fairness I think Tribe's rooms are slightly better (although at Tribe you'd better know your partner very well, as the toilet is open-plan to the bed). But on service there's absolutely no contest: Tribe's service was mediocre at best, whereas Sankara is truly world class.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Sankara Nairobi? Share your experiences!