“Great hotel, central location” 5 of 5 stars

Sankara Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Woodvale Grove, Westlands, Nairobi 00606, Kenya   |
Ranked #13 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Oslo, Norway
“Great hotel, central location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

Very pleased with this relatively new hotel - excellent service, well equipped and spacious rooms, excellent location, good food. They also have the Angsana Spa in the hotel, which I was extremely pleased about - it used to be my favorite when living in Sri Lanka, and it really lived up to its expectations. The roof top pool is great, and the loungy bar up next to it very nice.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Lagos, Nigeria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

Great hotel, great service. Sankara is located at a very prime location in Westlands area in Nairobi. The rooms are very modern and nice and the staff is very helpful. Most of all it has an amazing spa.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

I travel extensively for work and have done so for the past 15 years. Hence I've seen "hundreds" of hotels in many different locations. Admittedly I tend to stay in the chain hotels such as IC, Hilton or Marriott, mainly to limit the research effort and since I should know what to expect (although that is clearly a hit and miss between the member hotels...)

I' d never heard of Sankara before and it was booked through one of our foreign offices. I assumed it'd be part of an Asian chain or what have you.

OK. They messed up the pick-up from the airport. But that was really the only let down during our stay.From then on it was stella performance all around.

The standard is second to none (alright except perhaps for some of the high-high end and select Dubai hotels). The only structural thing I reacted to was the fact that the ceiling was pretty low. I'm not even 5 10 and I could reach the ceiling with my hand.

Food selection for both lunch and dinner very good. I had breakfast in my room so cannot judge the breakfast buffet. What I got was delicious.

The gym is of a high hotel standard, too.

So the "bare" necessities are all covered from a pretty spoiled business travellers point of view.

What really makes the hotel outstanding though is the staff (and I presume management, I couldn't always tell who is who). I don't ever think I've been to a hotel where every single person was this friendly, from the maid through to the front desk management. Highly professional at all times, but still with a good sense of humour, approachable and always trying to help and make your stay better. I believe I had a similar experience once in the Conrad Bali, but nothing else comes to mind right now.

I don't get to go to Kenya very often. So now I'm only disappointed Sankara is not a worldwide chain after all....

Wuhan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

All round, a low stress experience, reliable service, and fantastic decor. The Sankara mixes Asian design influences with local African elements and creates a unique hotel experience - something which is often missing in a world of bland and functional utilitarianism.

My flight was early and I took less than 10 minutes to clear customs and had no baggage, but the driver was already there. The car was in top class, and the driving perfectly safe. Check-in was efficient - I wanted a room on the garden side, away from the road which wasn-t available, so while I had some dinner they made one available. Dinner was good, service was fine, choice was sufficient. It's probably not the best food in Africa, but it was good enough not to feel the need to go out.

There were problems with the Aircon in my room, but this was fixed in less than 10 minutes. The power did go out a few times, but not for more than a minute or so at a time. The bar on the roof was great, as was the pool. And the gym facilities were excellent - the staff even called me in my room to see if I wanted a private session as they had some time free.

On the occasions I left the hotel, taxi's (eco-taci's at that) were quickly organised, and were clean. They also waited for me to take me back to the hotel.

All-in-all, a memorable visit, if for nothing else than the fact everything worked, and it was stress free.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Sankara Nairobi hotel March 11-19th and I must say that this hotel made my trip to Kenya!! The hotel is right in the heart of Westlands...there are tons of great lounges and wonderful restaurants..if you want Italian one night definitely pay a a visit to Meditteraneo which is 2 minutes from the hotel..it was delicious and very very reasonably priced as is most of the food items in my opinion are. Now to talk about our room----BEAUTIFUL! flat screen t.v. fully stocked mini bar..plush robes..turn down service..an amazing soaking tub..an electric scale in Ibs.. electrical cords that do not need transmitters...FREE internet with a very strong signal...housekeeping that delivers phone card minutes right to your room...a room bell...conceirge that absolutely make your stay fantastic and safe...whatever we needed they were able to provide..I volunteered at an orphanage the entire week I was there and getting back and forth to the hotel was a breeze and the doorman always checked on my return to make sure that everything went smoothly with the taxi! They had a taxi driver pick us up from the airport with a sign so that we recognized him too!
I am writing in a disjointed fashion because I am very excited to be writing this review!! Oh, and they have a pool on the 7th floor roof, a full gym..it was a grand hotel by African standards if I must say so! OH and they have a SPA!! what a great experience it was...and the spa was soooo cheap..for 12,600 KSH which translates to around 160USD I got a 3 hour pampering session...Ladies you know that usually at any nice SPA you pay at least $100 just for a 60 minute massage so the deal that they have going on with these spa packages at Sankara is unbelievable...I got a 60 minute FULL body massage, an 30 minute almond lemon Full body polish..and 30 minute face massage and 15 minutes lemon honey bath soak plus..fresh chilled tea, water and sliced watermelon!! it was fantastic!
They also have three restaurants in the Sankara, full room service which I used quite often and an amazing breakfast buffet that you can take advantage which was about 20 USD..to top off our trip we hired a taxi for a half day of service was 5000KSH =50USD and he took us to the Elephant orphange on the outskirts of Nairobi where we touched and saw up close and personal baby elephants and then we went to the Giraffe centre which was an absolutely amazing experience that you must do when you are here..the giraffes come right up to you and you can feed them hug them and even kiss them (if you have food to offer them,lol) and you must visit the Kazuri Beads store..the necklaces and jewelry are made by Kenyan women and they proceeds all go back to supporting them!

As you can see, I can go on and on about this trip..but if you want to visit Nairobi you should definitely consider staying at the Sankara..it was a fabulous experience where they really take care of you and you will feel safe..there are guards inside and outside of the hotel and someone is always on call to assist you in whatever you may need!

OH and one last thing..there is the Westlands Mall that is approximately a 10 minute walk from Sankara if you wanted to do some shopping!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

Have previously stayed at the Southern Sun and Intercontinental on several occasions. By comparison, I would give Southern Sun (Holiday Inn) 1*, Intercontinental 3-4, and Sankara a 5* by international standards. This hotel is just excellent! Some people have previously in thread pointed out that it's pricey. True. But judging by value, compared with others, there is no other option. Talking ranges in 250ish USD. We paid 242 per night, incl breakfast and internet.

Immaculate design, newly built with cool design all over. See pics. Splendid bed, haven't slept that well in ages away. The breakfast is so good, we were craving for it each morning. So nicely and fresh presented. Try their pancakes!

Pool area on roof top, the design is nothing for people suffering vertigo. Gym looked good too. Wonderful service all over. Staff seemed to express a true joy working there.

Dined in one of the hotel's restaurants several nights, which we enjoyed. Being able to sit outside was a nice treat for frozen Europeans. We tried as well the Tamambo restaurant, famous for ostrich beef, across the street inside mall.

On the minus side:
- check-out time is as early as 10 am.
- wifi did not function at all. SSID detected but with too low coverage to connect -- all over.

Sankara is the preferred choice if having the pleasure coming back to Nairobi.

Europe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

The Sankara is a very nice hotel with generally a good service. Rooms are excellent: beds are big enough, bathroom with great rainshower, good internet connections. Proper sized gym. Restaurants are ok: quality of food is good, wines and cocktails are good. Out of 3 nights I had diner here, service was not so good on one of them. It took very long to get the main course, which was solved by apologies and wine and desert on the house.
The only disadvantage is that it is very expensive, even for the quality it provides. Breakfast really is ridiculously expensive. As such, the value for money is so-so.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Sankara Nairobi? Share your experiences!