“Great experience, will definitely return” 4 of 5 stars

Sankara Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Woodvale Grove, Westlands, Nairobi 00606, Kenya   |
Ranked #11 of 101 hotels in Nairobi
Wuhan
“Great experience, will definitely return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

All round, a low stress experience, reliable service, and fantastic decor. The Sankara mixes Asian design influences with local African elements and creates a unique hotel experience - something which is often missing in a world of bland and functional utilitarianism.

My flight was early and I took less than 10 minutes to clear customs and had no baggage, but the driver was already there. The car was in top class, and the driving perfectly safe. Check-in was efficient - I wanted a room on the garden side, away from the road which wasn-t available, so while I had some dinner they made one available. Dinner was good, service was fine, choice was sufficient. It's probably not the best food in Africa, but it was good enough not to feel the need to go out.

There were problems with the Aircon in my room, but this was fixed in less than 10 minutes. The power did go out a few times, but not for more than a minute or so at a time. The bar on the roof was great, as was the pool. And the gym facilities were excellent - the staff even called me in my room to see if I wanted a private session as they had some time free.

On the occasions I left the hotel, taxi's (eco-taci's at that) were quickly organised, and were clean. They also waited for me to take me back to the hotel.

All-in-all, a memorable visit, if for nothing else than the fact everything worked, and it was stress free.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

384 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Sankara Nairobi hotel March 11-19th and I must say that this hotel made my trip to Kenya!! The hotel is right in the heart of Westlands...there are tons of great lounges and wonderful restaurants..if you want Italian one night definitely pay a a visit to Meditteraneo which is 2 minutes from the hotel..it was delicious and very very reasonably priced as is most of the food items in my opinion are. Now to talk about our room----BEAUTIFUL! flat screen t.v. fully stocked mini bar..plush robes..turn down service..an amazing soaking tub..an electric scale in Ibs.. electrical cords that do not need transmitters...FREE internet with a very strong signal...housekeeping that delivers phone card minutes right to your room...a room bell...conceirge that absolutely make your stay fantastic and safe...whatever we needed they were able to provide..I volunteered at an orphanage the entire week I was there and getting back and forth to the hotel was a breeze and the doorman always checked on my return to make sure that everything went smoothly with the taxi! They had a taxi driver pick us up from the airport with a sign so that we recognized him too!
I am writing in a disjointed fashion because I am very excited to be writing this review!! Oh, and they have a pool on the 7th floor roof, a full gym..it was a grand hotel by African standards if I must say so! OH and they have a SPA!! what a great experience it was...and the spa was soooo cheap..for 12,600 KSH which translates to around 160USD I got a 3 hour pampering session...Ladies you know that usually at any nice SPA you pay at least $100 just for a 60 minute massage so the deal that they have going on with these spa packages at Sankara is unbelievable...I got a 60 minute FULL body massage, an 30 minute almond lemon Full body polish..and 30 minute face massage and 15 minutes lemon honey bath soak plus..fresh chilled tea, water and sliced watermelon!! it was fantastic!
They also have three restaurants in the Sankara, full room service which I used quite often and an amazing breakfast buffet that you can take advantage which was about 20 USD..to top off our trip we hired a taxi for a half day of service was 5000KSH =50USD and he took us to the Elephant orphange on the outskirts of Nairobi where we touched and saw up close and personal baby elephants and then we went to the Giraffe centre which was an absolutely amazing experience that you must do when you are here..the giraffes come right up to you and you can feed them hug them and even kiss them (if you have food to offer them,lol) and you must visit the Kazuri Beads store..the necklaces and jewelry are made by Kenyan women and they proceeds all go back to supporting them!

As you can see, I can go on and on about this trip..but if you want to visit Nairobi you should definitely consider staying at the Sankara..it was a fabulous experience where they really take care of you and you will feel safe..there are guards inside and outside of the hotel and someone is always on call to assist you in whatever you may need!

OH and one last thing..there is the Westlands Mall that is approximately a 10 minute walk from Sankara if you wanted to do some shopping!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

Have previously stayed at the Southern Sun and Intercontinental on several occasions. By comparison, I would give Southern Sun (Holiday Inn) 1*, Intercontinental 3-4, and Sankara a 5* by international standards. This hotel is just excellent! Some people have previously in thread pointed out that it's pricey. True. But judging by value, compared with others, there is no other option. Talking ranges in 250ish USD. We paid 242 per night, incl breakfast and internet.

Immaculate design, newly built with cool design all over. See pics. Splendid bed, haven't slept that well in ages away. The breakfast is so good, we were craving for it each morning. So nicely and fresh presented. Try their pancakes!

Pool area on roof top, the design is nothing for people suffering vertigo. Gym looked good too. Wonderful service all over. Staff seemed to express a true joy working there.

Dined in one of the hotel's restaurants several nights, which we enjoyed. Being able to sit outside was a nice treat for frozen Europeans. We tried as well the Tamambo restaurant, famous for ostrich beef, across the street inside mall.

On the minus side:
- check-out time is as early as 10 am.
- wifi did not function at all. SSID detected but with too low coverage to connect -- all over.

Sankara is the preferred choice if having the pleasure coming back to Nairobi.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Europe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

The Sankara is a very nice hotel with generally a good service. Rooms are excellent: beds are big enough, bathroom with great rainshower, good internet connections. Proper sized gym. Restaurants are ok: quality of food is good, wines and cocktails are good. Out of 3 nights I had diner here, service was not so good on one of them. It took very long to get the main course, which was solved by apologies and wine and desert on the house.
The only disadvantage is that it is very expensive, even for the quality it provides. Breakfast really is ridiculously expensive. As such, the value for money is so-so.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

Went for dinner to Sankara. Food took over an hour to come. Very average food. Service was excruciatingly slow. They have lots of staff, but they do not really know what they are doing. The kitchen is still very slow. The sommelier is excellent. Good wine selection.

I would not eat at Sankara. Walk outside, and there are a myriad of excellent restaurants in Westlands that offer better food, service and price.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

First let me explain that I work in the 5 star hospitality industry and this is a review from an industry professional to help you from making the same mistake I did (booking into this hotel). After travelling around Africa and staying in some rough places, my wife and I decided to treat ourselves to one night of luxury before heading back to London. We booked the Sankara thinking it looked great on the website, and it lived up to its images as it is a stunning hotel. However, once you get past the design, the hotel is a disaster. Check in took 20 minutes even though we were the only guests checking in and the receptionist forgot to give us our passports back, we had to ask for them. The room we were given had a gift for another guest with a note adressed to someone that wasn't us. The sink in the room did not drain and the DVD player in the room did not work. Once they fixed the DVD we settled in for a relaxing evening of watching movies, however the power went out 12 times in 30 minutes. No apologies were made to guests or any explanation. We then went for dinner in their South East Asian restaurant where the food was absolutely inedible. Service was terrible and the staff pay no attention to the guests and you must flag someone down to order a drink or anything. Then expect to wait 20 minutes!!

The following day before we went out for the day we spoke with the duty manager about these issues and she apologized and offered to take off the dinner from the previous night and offer us a drink when we returned. We were happy with this gesture and she also gave us late check out as our flight wasn't until 11:45pm. We had a spa treatment at their spa (AMAZING!!!) The only thing good about this hotel is their Spa!! One of the best massages ever! However, upon checkout we were charged for minibar things we never had and the food from the previous night was still on our bill. Manager checking us out took ages to sort out the issues and was not very friendly about our problems!

For 300$ there are much better places to stay than Sankara!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
SAN_NBO, Director at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, February 3, 2011
Dear Londontravellingbugs

I would like to thank you for your comments dated 30th January 2011.

I would like to reassure you that we take each comment received from our guests personally and seriously. As a newly opened hotel, our systems and facilities can sometimes be subject to setbacks. However, please be assured that we are committed to resolving these setbacks to ensure that our service and facilities are of the standards our guests expect.

I would like to take this opportunity to address some of the problems you experienced during your stay with us:

1. As a standard we strive to check-in all our guests within five minutes of arrival. To this end we sincerely apologise for the unnecessary delay in checking you in.We have since reviewed some of the technology we use, and have introduced some changes which we believe will considerable enhance our check in experience.

2. On receiving your complaint about the DVD player, a guest service agent and IT assistant both attended to the request and satisfactorily resolved the issue within ten minutes of receiving the call.

3. It is unfortunate that you experienced the inconvenience of power blackouts on the night of your stay which affected the entire hotel. On the night in question, the area was affected by an extraordinary number of electricity fluctuations. Due to the constant fluctuations experienced in the area, our standby generators kept starting and stopping repeatedly over a short period of time. This resulted in the repeated fluctuations that you experienced. We have since changed the settings of our generators, so that should this problem reoccur, the same situation will not happen again.

4. We appreciate that your meal at Muhibbah, our South East Asian restaurant, was not to your liking and we take your feedback wholeheartedly. Our F&B Manager did offer to waive 50% of the bill for the menu items that were unsatisfactory. Noting that this was not acceptable, our team offered and subsequently waived all food items from the bill.

5. Understanding that you’re experience was less than expected our team offered you a complimentary late check-out as well as access to our Club Lounge for complimentary evening drinks and use until your departure. The meal which was charged to your credit card was refunded and cleared on January 29th and a follow up email with the transaction slip was sent through to you for ease of mind.

I would like to assure you that Sankara Nairobi is committed to meeting your needs. I sincerely hope that you will give us an opportunity to offer you an experience that exceeds your expectations in the future.

Warm Regards,

Rohan Patel
Director
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

The staff at Sankara are incredible and the hotel itself is bliss! I arrived at the Hotel after three weeks on a safari so to say I was dishevelled and smelly would be an understatement. The check in staff could not have been friendlier and more accomodating so straight away I was one happy taveller. But then I was taken to my room which exceeded all expectations. Not only was the room immaculate and but my bed was so soft and comfortable that I almost fell asleep straight away! The shower also was one of the best I have had. I walked up to the pool bar where staff and other patrons alike were courteous and friendly and happily read my book and sipped cocktails - HEAVEN!! I ordered breakfast in my room and I have to also rave about the presentation and quality. The serving was HUGE. After two days I was regretting my decision to spend two days at the Fairview and regret it I did. My room at the Fairview was pokey and the bed uncomfortable. I am only 160cm and my feet hung over the end. The staff were lazy and not particularly friendly and even though the grounds at the Fairview are beautiful I missed everything about the Sankara. Thank you to all the staff there that made my stay a wonderful experience.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Been to Sankara Nairobi? Share your experiences!