“Nice place to stay but needs some maintenance” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sochati House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sochati House
You added Sochati House to your Saves list
Gitanga Groove off Gitanga Road, Nairobi 254, Kenya   |
Ranked #125 of 184 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice place to stay but needs some maintenance”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

Ok, this is going to sound like a bad review, but my overall impression is it's a nice place to stay. I was booked in here by a friend who recommended it. It's got nice setting - lush gardens, and you wouldn't know youe were in a captial city. The staff were really really good, for some reason I kept ending up on long conversations. You know, like when someone has a real intrest in you VS someone just doing customer service.
The food quality was good with a nice selection for breakfast - though I didn't eat dinner there as I was out visiting friends.
Now the bad points all regarding maintenance - The window handles were coming off and Icoudln't close the windows - I actually repaired these myself as the bolt has just come loose. The TV wouldn't work - which I found due to the aerial plug had come off it's lead, so I repaired this. Then I plugged in my mac which has an aluminium case and when I touched it - I got an unpleasant shock. So an earth problem! Thankfully a different socket was ok. Lastly I went for a shower. They had warned me it takes a while for the hot water to come through. After 10 minutes I gave up and had to take a cold flannel stood at the side. Fatal flaw - unfortunately.

I've still left this place as recommended - I know the hotel is up for sale - so hopefully a new owner will come in and get these issues sorted and it would be a great place to stay. The staff and location make it worth it - but ring before booking to see what the latest is with the hot water!
PS Their wifi is good - once everyone had gone to bed, I managed to get a video link on skype to my other half back in the UK.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo