“Great” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kibera Tours

Kibera Tours
Starts at Adamsarcade, Java house, Nairobi, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)
(0)7 23669218
jersey
5 attraction reviews
“Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

I really liked the tour. My tour guide Philip was very friendly and gave me lots of information. I learned many things about Kibera and Kenya. Bring comfortable walking shoes and clothes you don't mind getting dirty. Thanks!

Visited February 2014

Portland, Oregon
30 attraction reviews
“Devastating and Insightful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Such a powerful experience! I was so very grateful to Freddy and John for their insightful tour of Kibera. Having experienced tours of slums in India and Rio, I was still not prepared for the utter disparity between rich and poor neighborhoods in Nairobi. It was distressing to learn that the life-expectancy is only 30 years and that 1 in 5 children die before they are 5. As a sustainability coordinator, it was also difficult to face the utter devastation of the sewage and plastic trash in the muddy paths (wear sturdy shoes!!). However, it was deeply moving to receive the hospitality of the residents of Kibera and learn of their ingenuity and resilience. From the HIV health care clinic and bone factory to the biogas factory and recycling center, people are doing what they can to meet the needs of their community. I respect Freddy and John for creating this educational experience and appreciate their reinvest in the community.

On the other hand, I was disgusted to learn that the travel agency totally took advantage of us and charged an exorbitant rate to arrange the driver and tour with Freddy. The Kibera Slum Tours only received a small proportion of the fee, when they did all of the work. I highly recommend that you make your arrangements with Freddy directly. Whatever complaints others might have of being taken to places to buy jewelry and make donations, at least it feels like you are investing money back into the community.

Visited November 2013
San Francisco
23 attraction reviews
“Must Do! By Far the Best Thing We Did in Nairobi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Skip the elephant place (so crowded and contrived - see elephants in the wild instead) and the Giraffe center (total rip off) and go instead to see Kibera. It will change your life. Freddy and Martin are amazing - so warm, so passionate about being ambassadors for the place they have called home their whole lives. They will show you one of the largest slums in the world from an insider's point of view (they even welcomed us into one of their homes so we could see how people live - fascinating!) We saw several community projects - a school, power women collective for women with HIV who are selling crafts, biofuel from human waste, jewelry from bones rather than ivory. All so interesting and the people were incredible - so inspiring. Of course, we gave a donation and this is part of the point, but we were not pressured to do so at all. We bought some jewelry made by the power woman and bone workmen - inexpensive and really unique and I wear mine all the time. We also gave a donation to the school. But what Freddy and Martin are most interested in is changing the world's perception of the slum by showing people what it is really like. You will be remembering this place for a long time after your visit. The community spirit is infectious.

London, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
“one of my highlights”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We had a informative , inspiring enjoyable time with our guides .
Phillip was very informative and took lots of pictures with my camera .
we walked alround the area meeting local businesses and people .

Phillip was awonderful young man pasionate about helping his community help them selves and fight poverty , ignorance and discrimmination .

Nottingham, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
“A different side to Nairobi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Having spent a few days in central Nairobi my friend and I had found the city a little unfriendly. We decided to do this tour and experienced a whole other side to the city. Phillip and Freddie were our guides and were great at answering a whole range of questions about kibera. Group numbers are limited to six so we felt that the visit was personalised and not intrusive. We visited a range of community based projects where people were happy to explain what they were doing and how it was helping to improve living conditions. Phillip himself was leading a number of community and youth schemes in the area and was happy to chat about these. Many of the projects are inspirational and it is heartening to talk to so many people who have little but are so welcoming. The trip ended with a visit to Freddie's mums house which was surprisingly cosy. Overall, this is an excellent way to speak to people about their lives and country.
I would advise anyone on his tour to wear good footwear as much of the slum has uneven and poor pathways between businesses and housing.

Visited August 2013

Been to Kibera Tours? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Kibera Tours, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.