“Very interesting, but not for faint of heart” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kibera Tours

Kibera Tours
Starts at Adamsarcade, Java house, Nairobi, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)
(0)7 23669218
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 126 Activities in Nairobi
More attraction details
Owner description: info@kiberatours.com.
Santa Barbara, Cal., USA
20 attraction reviews
“Very interesting, but not for faint of heart”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our tour was led by Ezra, Frankie and Phillip into the largest slum in Africa. I would caution anyone taking tour to wear good hiking shoes ( definitely no open kind of footwear) and long pants. This tour takes you through tiny walkways and narrow streets that are nothing but slippery mud. There are dangers of corrugated tin sticking out houses.. I am sure that any accidental cut could expose one to tetnus and a multitude of other infections.
All that being said, it was very interesting. With no electricity or running water, and only public restroom facilities, the people were all very friendly. We never felt any danger to our security. I took a large bag of candy and passed it out to children as we walked along. I also took a suitcase of clothing, which we gave to a school. I am not sure that these clothes went to the school kids, rather than the clothing shops. But we tried.

Visited December 2011

Veere, The Netherlands
11 attraction reviews
“a must see/do/experience in Nairobi!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Today we went with Kiberatours (www.kiberatours.com) to Kibera, the biggest slum of Africa with 800.000 people living and working there. This is a must experience for everyone coming to Nairobi interested enough to support the poor of the city, since the fee of 25 euro per person is going to the people who live there. For this 25 euro we had a most lovely guide named Godfrey Isali who took us to a school with 70 children and to a project where woman who are hiv affected create beautifull handcraft which made nice and affordable gifts for our friends back home in the netherlands. then we walked through the amazing unpaved roads, crossed a railway and we walked to the end of this slumcity where the forest began at one side, and new high flats were rising on another side. i highly recommand this for everyone with a heart and a sense of adventure, it is not dangerous at all and also nothing to be ashamed off, the people of Kibera are very friendly and welcoming and are happy if outsiders come to see, talk and maybe buy something (no hassle like everywhere else in Nairobi!)

Visited October 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
6 attraction reviews
“Kibera Slum Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Established and run by Kibera Locals who show first hand the wealth of talent among hardworking local people driven to start up small businesses to improve their lives and the prospects of their children. This is a great tour, the guides proud and knowledgeable and the overall experience surprising, interesting and heartwarming. Opportunities to make donations and buy stuff, so take some smaller currency. Don't miss Charles and his fantastic jewellery and the Power Women - these are women who are living with HIV/AIDS who are simply inspirational. Completely safe, don't think of it as a slum but as a neighbourhood, however do wear some closed in washable shoes.

Visited July 2012
Dublin, Ireland
4 attraction reviews
“One of best things I have done in Nairobi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Great tour that I would totally recommend to anyone visiting Nairobi.The tour guides are both informative and friendly as well as making you feel safe. The community projects you visit are great examples of efforts going on in Kibera to help people improve their lives. Paid the KES2500 which is good value and gave the tour guys a small tip at the end but there was no push for this. Great work guys!

Visited June 2012
Kansas City, Kansas
11 attraction reviews
“Access to a part of Nairobi unavailable to outsiders”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I arranged this tour over the phone after seeing it in the Rough Guide and checking it out on the web. I opted to have them pick me up at my hotel at rates slightly higher than I would have paid by getting a taxi myself. I was appreciative of the convenience and happy to spend my money with them. One of the most valuable parts of the tour is the access. As a female traveling on my own, I simply would not have gone into Kibera without a local. As much as for being there, I felt I was paying for the insider local knowledge when the guide carefully and thoroughly answered all of my many questions. I didn't mind being offered the opportunity to buy small craft items to support a cause. I was happy to pick up a few souvenirs and spend my money here instead of a big shop. There was not a security guard, but I did not feel that one was needed. My shoes got really mucky. I was glad I brought my camera. I wish I would have brought a little more cash for purchases and tipping.

Visited May 2012

Been to Kibera Tours? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Kibera Tours, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.