“A sanctuary that isn't far away” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gracehouse Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Gracehouse Resort
Save Saved
You added Gracehouse Resort to your Saves list
Ring Road, next to Yaya Center | Kilimani, Nairobi 2010, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)   |
Ranked #25 of 158 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Maputo, Mozambique
“A sanctuary that isn't far away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

I have been working for Kenya for almost two months and stay at the Grace House whenever I am in Nairobi. Not only are the staff friendly and helpful, but there is a lovely garden and wireless internet throughout the hotel. It's also next door to the Ya Ya Centre, which has a supermarket, post office and some nice restaurants.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

For the price of the Gracehouse Resort it's good value for money.
This is the second time I've stayed here and it's always clean, great friendly staff and right next door to the Yaya centre which means good food and Awesome Coffee at Java Coffee House.
If you are looking for a 5 star resort, this isn't it but neither is the price. The resort is really comfortable and feels very safe.
Free wireless internet and the breakfast is good.
I'd recommend it - great value for money
Has a small lounge area with about 5 rooms connecting off it so is good if there are a number of you travelling together but not sharing the same room.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Muskoka District, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

I stayed here 3 nights total in November of 2010 and while I was very nervous being a young blonde female in Nairobi, this hotel made me feel completely safe. I got a good sleep every night I stayed here, and the breakfasts were included and delicious (omlettes, potatoes, tomatoes, fresh fruit, beans, toast, coffee, tea, juice). This hotel was perfect. It may not have been a spa, but I had a great time, the people were wonderful, the rooms were clean and spacious enough for short stays!! I would highly reccommend this hotel!

• Stayed November 2010
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

Gracehouse is a friendly, homely accommodation in the central Kilimani area of town. It is popular with NGOs and missionary tour groups. The rooms are simple but spacious and more than adequate for the price. The staff are delightful, and free, fast wireless is a bonus. I can sympathise with the reviewer below in some respects, but did not have nearly as negative an experience. The shower system is not dilapidated, but heated with an electric head, and on the right intensity works absolutely fine. Unless you have an appetite for large buffets every night (900KSH) and enjoy a tee-total, evangelical atmosphere you won’t want to hang around socially much, but Gracehouse is right next to the Ya Ya shopping complex and a number of good restaurants.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

When looking for a hotel in Nairobi, we found that either you had to pay through the nose for a room at a large hotel, or opt for a cheaper guesthouse. We chose the latter, since we figured we wouldn’t be spending a great deal of time there (we were visiting Nairobi for a wedding and to see friends).

When we arrived, therefore, we didn’t expect a lavish room with all the trimmings and a spectacular view - which is just as well, since we were on the fifth floor (with no lift) with a window facing a brick wall. Not only that, but we were directly above the kitchen where they began cooking what smelled like Nyama Choma (barbequed goat) every morning – great, until you start smelling of it yourself. Being optimistic, we told each other we would just deal with it.

My nerves began to fray when I had a shower for the first time. It was a bath/shower with two taps, yet the hot tap just spun round continuously, producing no water. The cold tap worked, and I managed to have a shower under the powerless stream of water that tricked out of the head, which was unreassuringly taped to the water pipe with green insulation tape (the water is heated somehow as it passes through the head). We discovered that of the two taps in the wash basin, again, only the cold one was working. We informed reception about the situation and they said that somebody would have a look whilst we were out.

And did they? No. We got back to find nothing had changed. No note was left for us and not a peep was spoken from reception on our way in. As there are no phones in the room, we went back down to reception (remember, five flights of stairs each time) to tell them, again, about the problem. This time, we were accompanied back to our room by an austere housekeeper, who came to have a look. She raised her eyebrows and then stated simply and unapologetically that you don’t need both taps to work the shower – one will do. I asked how I would run a bath, and she said that I would have to run the shower into the bath to fill it! When I objected to this (well, we were paying full price for a room in which the basic amenities weren’t properly working), she then informed us that none of the rooms are supplied with hot water, hence the hot taps being defunct. Blooming marvellous. And we were foolish for even entertaining the thought that they would discount us for our stay – because it didn’t happen.

At this point, it was difficult to retain any positivity about the place. The rail of the mosquito net was bent and broken, creating large gaps in the net – there was really no point in using it. The extra blankets cupboard was (unsurprisingly) empty. The lock on the cupboard door showed obvious signs of being previously tampered with, and as there was no safe, it left few places to securely store anything. The working bath tap eventually gave up on us and fell off, mid shower! It just went from bad to worse. We were actually trying to laugh about it, to save ourselves from being overcome with frustration. Forget trying to quell your frazzled nerves with a beer – it’s a Christian run guesthouse, so they don't condone alcohol on the premises.

In a nut shell, it is shoddy, dilapidated and in desperate need of restoration. There was a lack of urgency in attending to problems and getting things fixed, so I can't imagine any restoration work will commence any time soon. The rooms and furniture are extremely dated. The lack of a lift makes it very tiring lugging heavy suitcases up and down.

For all the negative things I’ve mentioned, there were three things I felt were good. First was the breakfast, which included fruit, toast, cereals and cooked sausages, beans, eggs etc. The pancakes and omlettes, cooked to order, were delicious. Second, was the super speedy dry cleaning service. My partner had a couple of shirts cleaned, pressed and returned within a couple of hours, for a very good price! Last but not least, the staff. They worked hard at their jobs and were mostly extremely pleasant – bar the surly receptionist (but I suppose nobody likes a complainer, so I don’t take her dislike for us personally). I am just so sorry that they couldn’t work in a better place.

With all of this said, I can say that I categorically do not recommend this place. Do find somewhere else to stay in Nairobi.

Reasons for ratings (out of 5):

Cleanliness - 3. The place is generally clean and the staff work hard to maintain this. The rooms are tidied daily.
Location - 2. Although conveniently located next to the Yaya Centre, the Gracehouse is not very central it is difficult to go anywhere without a taxi or a driver.
Rooms - 1. Very poor furnishing and facilities.
Service - 2. Mostly pleasant, friendly staff, except when you have a problem with the room. Slow to respond to a problem / they don't take it seriously.
Value - 1. Although cheaper than the larger hotels, I don't agree that you get what you are paying for.
Sleep Quality - 1. Gaps in the mosquito net allowed a few mosquitoes to get in and caused a couple of sleepless nights. Also, traffic and a noisy school playground could be heard easily with the window open (and it was hot, with no fan or A/C, so we had to open the window for air).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Gracehouse Resort? Share your experiences!