“"OH YEAH" KARIBU SANA” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 154 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Lewiston Woodville
“"OH YEAH" KARIBU SANA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed our stay. Hibiscus Guest House was on point. It was like a home away from home. The food is great, on top of that, anything that I need, whether it was from the store or where ever, The Hibiscus staff gave us a hand without any problems. They also offer a car hire service, even a diver if you needed one. It’s located in a peaceful spot and not too far from downtown. My wife and I really enjoyed ourselves and planning on staying there again in a few more months...

I just want to say ASHANTE SANA to the Hibiscus staff for showing my wife and me a good time....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

The Hibiscus Guest House is a dream come true. The staff is excellent and helpful with everything. We were staying at a different location and were forced to relocate in the middle of the night. The staff at the Hibiscus woke up, found us space, and were so understanding of the situation. When we wanted to travel to Kisumu, they found us the correct shuttle line to take. When we wanted to get some dresses tailored, Phyllis recommended her tailor to us. The breakfast is filling, the rooms are large and clean. The grounds have nice gardens and the location is wonderful. It is close to the bus lines, Adams Arcade, and a short walk to the Yaya center and Junction. A great place I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

The friendly staff here certainly makes you feel at home! The rooms are simpel, but clean. Free wifi. Plenty of restaurants in the neighbourhood (try Ethiopian restaurant Habesha!).
Perfectly baked omelets by the friendly chef Sos. My friends who run projects in Kibera always stay here, now I know why!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Phyllis and her staff will make you feel like the Hibiscus is your home while in Nairobi! It's on a quiet street within a short walk of Ngong Road, one of the main thoroughfares in the city. The house is lovely with a large lounge area, dining room, and extensive gardens for relaxing. The bedrooms are simple but neat, with clean bathrooms. There is also free wifi available.

Breakfast is nice and filling, with eggs, sausage, and an assortment of cereals, fruits, juice, coffee, and tea. I was travelling with two friends, and all three of us arrived in Nairobi at different times. I arranged separate taxi pickups from the airport for all three of us and everything went off without a hitch.

It's the staff though that really make the Hibiscus shine. Everyone there was so friendly and helpful and made our short stay in Nairobi so memorable. Asante sana!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

What a truly wonderful staff. This place makes you feel more like family than like a paying guest. I highly recommend it - and the prices and internet are also really great!

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

I stayed at Hibiscus for about 2 and a half weeks during a business trip to Nairobi, and it suited my needs perfectly. The wi-fi at Hibiscus is great and you have free access to it anywhere inside the house. Breakfast is fantastic, with some combination of eggs, sausage, pancakes and fresh fruit, usually served, as well as tea , coffee, etc. For meals, there's a great restaurant called Katanazi right across the street (the back patio is nicest) or even better, get Sos, the chef, to cook for you. He made dinner for me almost every night and it was delicious, butternut squash soup, beans and rice, chicken and chips..it was all very good. The best part about Hibiscus really is the staff, they are so devoted to their jobs and always happy to help any way they can. Over the course of my time at Hibiscus, I have come and gone a bit, so I've stayed in 3 different rooms. I thought all of them were great. The rooms are clean and well maintained, and I felt perfectly at home in each of them. Each of the staff members has been lovely to meet. On this trip alone, I've stayed in 4 different hotels throughout Kenya (Nairobi and Western Province) and I can honestly say that Hibiscus has been the nicest experience of all of them, and I would recommend it to anyone wanted a clean room and great quality at an affordable price.

Room Tip: My favourite room was the pink room with the 4 poster bed.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Bangui
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, however, I do believe that the other posts extolling the Hibiscus Guest House are "plants" purposefully written to shield the truth about the accommodations. My husband and I were to stay at Hibiscus before going on safari. As we were arriving at different times, we had arranged airport transportation for each of us. The taxi driver never showed at either time causing much confusion and worry.

After hiring a taxing from the airport and arriving at Hibiscus, I was was very much underwhelmed by the accommodations. The house is quite dated and thus gives of the impression of being unclean. There are spots on the carpet, holes in the ceiling, sparse furnishings and the bathroom looks like a public bathroom of an out of the way gas station on a lonely road.

While Hibiscus may be located in Kilimani, it is very much out of the way and off the beaten path making it difficult for taxi drivers to find and not easy to walk to local amenities such as restaurants and shopping.

I would not recommend this place to other travelers.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hibiscus Guest House? Share your experiences!