“fantastic experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 162 Nairobi B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“fantastic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

What a truly wonderful staff. This place makes you feel more like family than like a paying guest. I highly recommend it - and the prices and internet are also really great!

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

I stayed at Hibiscus for about 2 and a half weeks during a business trip to Nairobi, and it suited my needs perfectly. The wi-fi at Hibiscus is great and you have free access to it anywhere inside the house. Breakfast is fantastic, with some combination of eggs, sausage, pancakes and fresh fruit, usually served, as well as tea , coffee, etc. For meals, there's a great restaurant called Katanazi right across the street (the back patio is nicest) or even better, get Sos, the chef, to cook for you. He made dinner for me almost every night and it was delicious, butternut squash soup, beans and rice, chicken and chips..it was all very good. The best part about Hibiscus really is the staff, they are so devoted to their jobs and always happy to help any way they can. Over the course of my time at Hibiscus, I have come and gone a bit, so I've stayed in 3 different rooms. I thought all of them were great. The rooms are clean and well maintained, and I felt perfectly at home in each of them. Each of the staff members has been lovely to meet. On this trip alone, I've stayed in 4 different hotels throughout Kenya (Nairobi and Western Province) and I can honestly say that Hibiscus has been the nicest experience of all of them, and I would recommend it to anyone wanted a clean room and great quality at an affordable price.

Room Tip: My favourite room was the pink room with the 4 poster bed.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Bangui
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, however, I do believe that the other posts extolling the Hibiscus Guest House are "plants" purposefully written to shield the truth about the accommodations. My husband and I were to stay at Hibiscus before going on safari. As we were arriving at different times, we had arranged airport transportation for each of us. The taxi driver never showed at either time causing much confusion and worry.

After hiring a taxing from the airport and arriving at Hibiscus, I was was very much underwhelmed by the accommodations. The house is quite dated and thus gives of the impression of being unclean. There are spots on the carpet, holes in the ceiling, sparse furnishings and the bathroom looks like a public bathroom of an out of the way gas station on a lonely road.

While Hibiscus may be located in Kilimani, it is very much out of the way and off the beaten path making it difficult for taxi drivers to find and not easy to walk to local amenities such as restaurants and shopping.

I would not recommend this place to other travelers.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Pontiac, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Hibiscus Guest House for 2 nights, as we were entering and leaving Kenya. Both rooms were very clean, the beds comfortable, and the staff is very accommodating and helpful. On the way in, we had a very early flight out the next morning and had to be at the airport by 5:30 a.m. However, Phyllis, the manager, got up early and had breakfast waiting for us at 4:30, despite being up after 10:00 p.m. the night before to greet us when we arrived. On our return visit, we had a day in Nairobi before our flight back home. We went downtown and walked around a bit, but decided to return to the Hibiscus house and just sit in their pleasant yard and enjoy the peace and quiet for a few hours. They also provided storage for our luggage and allowed us to use their facilities to change before leaving for the airport, even though it was late afternoon and well beyond the typical "check out" time. They even asked if we wanted to take a shower one last time before leaving! Overall this is a great place to stay and also a great value.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Webuye, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in January 2012 for a night. We flew into Nairobi late at night and had another flight out the next afternoon, so we stayed here for a night during our stopover. We were so impressed with everything about this location. The staff was incredibly friendly and went out of the way to do everything for us. The room was perfect, and a nice bed and warm shower were just perfect after several hours of flight from the US. The breakfast the next morning was just perfect. Overall, it was a great, great location that I am recommending to all my friends/family who need a place to stay in Nairobi. The staff alone make the place amazing - thank you for your warm welcome and for all you did for us!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Linköping, Ostergotlands Lan, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights while traveling from Sweden to the west of Kenya in December 2011. It was a wonderful 2 nights and even though I were just passing Nairobi, Hibiscus Guesthouse had a really good impression on me. The staff is very friendly, the food was great and the location of the guesthouse is ideal for reaching JK international airport fast!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

i was traveling from Holland to Tanzania for new years celebration and stayed at a hotel that gave me the worst experience ever,the food was terrible and the staff were very arrogant.on my way back,i decided to go for a safari to Maasai mara and hence used Elida tours and safaris which happens to be the sister company to hibiscus,and hence booked me for 6nights at the guest house.ooh i loved everything about it,i was received by Phylis the guest relation officer,she was kind,respectful and very helpful.the rooms were so organized and very clean,with safe's to ensure maximum security although i did not feel insecure.i will surely go back with my family many more times,thanks to Elida for joining me with the spectacular home away from home guest house.highly recommend it.

Room Tip: annex rooms are calm and very quite,plus are self contained and well designed,am sure what ever you...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hibiscus Guest House? Share your experiences!