“Sweet getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
New Delhi, India
“Sweet getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

A small restaurant nestled in mountainous terrain overlooking a narrow valley and connected by monkey bridge. The place is a sweet getaway spot for those looking to go far from the madding Nairobi traffic. The place offers a neat place to play football or paintball.

Sydney, Australia
“Great for team building and getaway with friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The paintballing experience here was so much fun. There is also an open field for playing soccer or any other game you want to. The accommodation too was awesome. I like the idea of crossing the hanging bridge to get to the place.

Visited June 2013
Kampala, Uganda
“Down Memory Lane ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I knew the late Rolf when he was still chef at the InterConti at the time and was just about to leave and open his Red Bull in the heart of Nairobi. His Zuricher Geschnetzeltes was one of my favourite dishes and I kept following him from the city to the Horseman in Karen before I move to Uganda.
A visit to the Silole Sanctuary allowed to pass by Rolf's Place, located beyond Rongai, and to my delight was the meal still available and still tickled my taste buds. My host must have been staring with incredulity at me as I ate up ever last morsel on the plate. I guess many of us miss Rolf and his antics, his passion for horses and polo and cooking and living in Nairobi but at least he left a legacy behind. Thanks to his son by the way for letting me see part of the house and his trophies and pictures, from the various kitchens he lorded over to his winning ways on the polo fields. Great lunch, thanks to Will Knocker of Silole Sanctuary!

Visited May 2014
“Impressive view”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

As many of other reviewers pointed out, the road to the place is horrible. Its dirt and stone, with the bumps on every few meters, so be prepared to be shaking for few kilometers. Once you reach the place, you have to leave the car and pass the swing bridge over the gorge to actually get to the place. The view is beautiful and I must say worth the suffering on the road (at least it was for me). You have to pass several other stairs to get to the restaurant upstairs and if you can find a place outside on the terrace you can enjoy a breathtaking view. The food that we ordered was good (at least not that bad as other reviews point out). The inside of the restaurant is also very interesting. It is decorating with the ostrich eggs' chandeliers. Then you have the option of getting to the pool, which is situated a bit apart from the restaurant itself. There you can also get some food and stay and swim for a charge. So if you are around Karen and sightseeing you may want to pass by there, which will be a good addition to your day trip.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Horrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

First, as noted by others, the road getting here is horrific, even in our Prado. Second, our table was given away to someone else, even though we were only 10 minutes late. Third, we had to wait an hour and a half for our food. Fourth, most of our food was disappointing, including the fattiest steak I've ever seen. I would honestly skip the restaurant and go up to the bar & grill at the pool. We wish we had done this -- likely cheaper, with decent meat and a nice pool.

• Visited May 2014