“Paradise in Nairobi” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Upper Hill Campsite

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Upper Hill Campsite
Save Saved
You added Upper Hill Campsite to your Saves list
Othaya Road - Lavington | PO Box 29886 00200, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #18 of 95 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Chester, United Kingdom
“Paradise in Nairobi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

About three weeks ago I had a night's stop over in Nairobi before a journey to Mombasa so myself and my two friends decided to give Upperhill a call and see if they had a room. We got Jessi and she was super helpful with directions and offering to send a taxi for us. When we arrived we were all amazed (having come from living with the Masai for two months it was serious luxury!) and even though the kitchen was about to close they agreed to stay open late and prepare us dinner. Jessi gave us tons of advice for Mombasa and before she went off to bed she gave us a slip of paper with numbers for accommodation, her favorite taxi driver and a restaurant she'd recommended where you have to book. We left a big bag in storage for our trip and promised we'd be back to stay again before one of my friends flew back to England the following week. After our amazing stay in Mombasa we were more than happy to go back and again chatted with Jessi, Rich and Jessi's brother for the evening. Jessi told us we should go down on the following Friday for a big night out (my last night in Kenya) and after our amazing times there so far we decided it was worth it to head down again. Unfortunately Jessi was too sick to go out on Friday night so the two of us went out alone but because she felt bad that my friend and I had come all that way on her account she gave us our accommodation on the house.... Upperhill is an absolutely amazing place, brilliant food and great atmosphere. I think the staff at Upperhill more than prove that it's the people who make the party! Would recommend it to anyone and I will be back there as soon as I'm next in Nairobi.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Upperhill is a great place to stay...It is out of Nairobi and once inside the compound is like stepping into a relaxing garden atmosphere.It is a fair way out but taxis can be organised for a fixed price and there is the local bus near by.They can also arrange pickups from the airport.We also left our luggage there whilst on safari which was great.Food is great and the staff are very helpful and willing to assist. I stayed with my daughter and her friends in the big room with private bathroom which was great. As some of the other reviews say the dogs can be annoying..We had one night of little sleep due to their noise....would recommend earplugs..But the garden, price and staff more than make up for it.....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kisumu, Nyanza, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Upper Hill is great for its price, location, good food, and relaxing atmosphere. The problem is that a person stays at a guest house primarily to SLEEP and that was not possible given the four or five dogs that bark all night while jumping and crashing against a sheet metal fence. If not for the dogs, I'd be back without hesitation. Unfortunately with the dogs, I can't consider it or recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed here for 3 days and we felt very much at home and welcome. Jesse and Rich did an amazing job in building the place as well as in taking care of their guests. They provided us with information about things to do in Nairobi and Jesse patiently answered all our questions regarding safety. She organized our shuttle bus down to and even booked our accommodation in Arusha.

We booked a double room (#1). It was nice and clean. Although a little noisy when people leave early (sometimes before dawn). Apart of that we were very happy whith the place. The food was delicious, all employees were very friendly and outgoing, and we felt very safe.
The cab from the city center was about KSH1000.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mombasa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

First place that we stayed at when we landed in Kenya. Jessie is one of the owners, and she is a vibe! She will keep you entertained with story after story, if you give you a chance, of all the crazy things that travelers have done. I read the negative review of the backpackers, and I can state that there is hot water, however it is only between certain times (6-10 am & pm) and in the outside showers. There is an inside shower, but its powered by a solar heater, and does not keep that much hot water.

My only complaint would be the mattresses, some are more comfy than others... but there are lots more in the cup

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Amazing hot showers, good food, reasonable prices for accomodation, food and bar, comfy beds, very clean showers,toilets etc... What else could you ask for? The owner Jessie is a star! She'll help you out and give you advice on al, things Kenyan. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place... Would be good if they got some wifi happening though!

Room Tip: The cabins are good with really comfy beds!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bradford, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I planned to stay at Upper Hill for five nights but left after two. The buildings and location were great, with very nice hot showers outside and comfortable beds in the tents. However, the food was inconsistent and a little pricey, and I had two major problems with this accommodation. First, I asked for a second blanket as a result of being a little cold the first night and was informed that they had no spares and would not take one out of another tent for me, despite the fact that only 2 of the (roughly 15) tents were occupied and it was 9PM at night. Second, I was woken up early both mornings by staff carrying out construction, and the consistent barking of three or four dogs, one of which was fenced in. I appealed to the staff at the reception desk to deal with the dog but they were unwilling. At this point, I asked to speak to the manager, who was then unavailable and un-contactable on her phone for the next two hours meaning that I was unable to communicate my disappointing experience to her before I left. This place has a lot of potential, but they need to improve their customer service and control the dogs better.

Room Tip: Big tents are only 200 KSH more than small tents. Avoid anywhere outside because of dogs!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Upper Hill Campsite? Share your experiences!