“Home away from hom” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Upper Hill Campsite

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Upper Hill Campsite
You added Upper Hill Campsite to your Saves list
Othaya Road - Lavington | PO Box 29886 00200, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #28 of 134 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Montreal, Canada
“Home away from hom”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

My husband and I have been staying at Upper Hill campsite since early 2008, and for the most part, we have enjoyed it immensely. There is a really community feel to the place, and if traveling alone you will have no problems meeting people. Jessi and her husband Richard go out of their way to see that you are happy and give great advice on places to see and things to do.
My only complaint is that you are not allowed to use your hairdryer. The breakfasts are very generous, and the meals are modestly priced...for Nairobi.
Upper Hill is also a very safe place in which to stay.
The beds are somewhat uncomfortable and the sheets tend to be too small for the mattresses, but for the price you can't complain. It is recommended that you bring along your own pillow.
Rooms are also adequate. On our last trip we stayed in one of the outdoor Bandas which have individual little porches and set in a beautiful garden.
All in all, Upper Hill is a pretty good bet for the money

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Juba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I stayed at Upper Hill campsite for 3 days while in Nairobi. There is a real community feel to the place, a home away from home, which was a welcome relief for me coming out of the bush in South Sudan. The food was good, and I enjoyed the company of the other guests and staff.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

We stayed in dorm at Upper Hill Campsite for four nights. It was clean, green and friendly. The staff they helped us with all our questions and made sure we hade a good stay. Great food for a great price. I would love to go back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

My husband and I ( both late 50's) stayed here in October 2011 for 2 nights each on two seperate occassions. It was an oasis of safety and greenery in the midst of Nairobi. It is near the embassies, and within walking distance of a modern mall, tho slightly far from downtown. We enjoyed the food which was very reasonably priced. Our room, in the main building, was huge and comfortable, but slightly dark, with a private bath.The camping tents and small bungalows around the gardens looked very inviting but I prefer having a private bath. The best part of Upper Hill was Jessie, the owner. If you have time to hear her life story thus far, consider yourself lucky! We will be first in line to buy her book!! We also were able to arrange our safari from an amazing travel guide, Jessie called for us, and were picked up directly from the hostel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Mtito Andei, Eastern, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Stayed at Upperhill Campsite and to my horror found out that the bed I slept in, was neatly made when I checked out in the morning. Not with new sheets however but with the same ones I slept in. Another person confirmed that this had happened to more beds when she stayed there. This is just disgusting. The matrasses itself where horrible, you could feel the woodenbords of the bed through them.
The staff was friendly and the food was good but I found the owner less then friendly. The prices for the taxis are very high. With a trusted driver or a normal taxi the prices are at least 2/3 rd of what they offer.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Warminster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I hadn't stayed in a Backpackers place for a while, but I don't remember them ever being as dreary as this. We stayed in a private en-suite room for KSH3000. Of course this is very cheap, but I would still expect cleanliness (the bathroom was dirty), friendliness (the local staff openly ogled my girlfriend), peace and quiet (our room adjoined the living room where the TV was blaring) and welcome (the place is full of those annoying and patronising signs telling what you can and can't do).

There were a host of other niggling things which all conspired to spoil what should have been a chilled-out stay: very dim lighting in our room, the smell of cigarette smoke permeating through from the communal area, very low water pressure and an uncomfortable bed.

Room Tip: Avoid a room in the main house if you want a quiet stay.