“An oasis in the city” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Upper Hill Campsite

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Upper Hill Campsite
Othaya Road - Lavington | PO Box 29886 00200, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #18 of 90 Specialty lodging in Nairobi
Edmonton, Alberta
“An oasis in the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

My husband and I ( both late 50's) stayed here in October 2011 for 2 nights each on two seperate occassions. It was an oasis of safety and greenery in the midst of Nairobi. It is near the embassies, and within walking distance of a modern mall, tho slightly far from downtown. We enjoyed the food which was very reasonably priced. Our room, in the main building, was huge and comfortable, but slightly dark, with a private bath.The camping tents and small bungalows around the gardens looked very inviting but I prefer having a private bath. The best part of Upper Hill was Jessie, the owner. If you have time to hear her life story thus far, consider yourself lucky! We will be first in line to buy her book!! We also were able to arrange our safari from an amazing travel guide, Jessie called for us, and were picked up directly from the hostel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Mtito Andei, Eastern, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Stayed at Upperhill Campsite and to my horror found out that the bed I slept in, was neatly made when I checked out in the morning. Not with new sheets however but with the same ones I slept in. Another person confirmed that this had happened to more beds when she stayed there. This is just disgusting. The matrasses itself where horrible, you could feel the woodenbords of the bed through them.
The staff was friendly and the food was good but I found the owner less then friendly. The prices for the taxis are very high. With a trusted driver or a normal taxi the prices are at least 2/3 rd of what they offer.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Warminster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I hadn't stayed in a Backpackers place for a while, but I don't remember them ever being as dreary as this. We stayed in a private en-suite room for KSH3000. Of course this is very cheap, but I would still expect cleanliness (the bathroom was dirty), friendliness (the local staff openly ogled my girlfriend), peace and quiet (our room adjoined the living room where the TV was blaring) and welcome (the place is full of those annoying and patronising signs telling what you can and can't do).

There were a host of other niggling things which all conspired to spoil what should have been a chilled-out stay: very dim lighting in our room, the smell of cigarette smoke permeating through from the communal area, very low water pressure and an uncomfortable bed.

Room Tip: Avoid a room in the main house if you want a quiet stay.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Excellent inexpensive accommodation in Nairobi, which was a surprisingly expensive city. Jessi was extremely helpful on things to do and other questions and her colleagues were very good. Although the rooms are basic, they are clean, spacious and the hostel is safe. Transportation, which I arranged with the hostel, was always on time (including my pickup at the airport). Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
New Plymouth, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

My husband and I plus our two children aged 8 and 13 stayed here for 3 days at the start of our trip and then for 2 days at the end. I am also surprised at some of the reviews as we found the place comfortable and Jessie helpful. The family room was dark but reasonably comfortable. The double bed felt a little cramped because of the mosquito net (not box net) and we could have done with a bed sheet that was big enough to stay put on the mattress. On the positive side it was a secure compound, had a lovely garden for the kids and nice common area/restaurant where kids were pleased to catch up on kids TV. Jessie even brought DVD's through for my daughter to watch. On our return journey it was just myself and my daughter and we were able to change room with no problem. We found the food reasonably good and had no issues with the dogs who were mostly quiet at night. The other staff were pleasant and the safety boxes for valuables gave us piece of mind.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
london, uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Myself and my partner stayed here for a night at the beginning of our trip and a night at the end. The manager described below, we found friendly, outgoing and helpful so I'm surprised at some of the reviews below. We had to leave at 6am and she ensured she was up to see us off and to give us the breakfast we had ordered the night before.

We stayed in a room in the main house on the first night and an outside cabin for the second night. Both had large double beds which were really comfortable. The bathrooms and showers are fine and for the price you pay, I think all in all, it is a bargain, particularly when you compare it to prices for pretty poor hotels in Nairobi.

In terms of the food, it is ok. A bit overpriced compared to local restaurants but still quite cheap and if you're just wanting to relax for an evening, quite handy. The samosas though are fantastic and I recommend you stock up on them!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
travellingwilbury66
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

The only saving grace of this place is....oh hang on, there is no saving grace! The manager is a lunatic woman who gets roaring drunk in the evenings and abuses the guests (not me, I stayed my distance). The rooms are horrible and the food is below average. After one night I moved to Wildebeest camp. To be fair, the management at Wildebeest left a lot to be desired (what is it about expat hotel owners in Africa!? They're all absolute idiots with offensive views on local residents!) but it was still way better than Upper Hill. AVOID!

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Upper Hill Campsite? Share your experiences!