“Cheap but not very cheerful” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Upper Hill Campsite

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Upper Hill Campsite
Othaya Road - Lavington | PO Box 29886 00200, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Warminster, United Kingdom
“Cheap but not very cheerful”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I hadn't stayed in a Backpackers place for a while, but I don't remember them ever being as dreary as this. We stayed in a private en-suite room for KSH3000. Of course this is very cheap, but I would still expect cleanliness (the bathroom was dirty), friendliness (the local staff openly ogled my girlfriend), peace and quiet (our room adjoined the living room where the TV was blaring) and welcome (the place is full of those annoying and patronising signs telling what you can and can't do).

There were a host of other niggling things which all conspired to spoil what should have been a chilled-out stay: very dim lighting in our room, the smell of cigarette smoke permeating through from the communal area, very low water pressure and an uncomfortable bed.

Room Tip: Avoid a room in the main house if you want a quiet stay.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

55 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Excellent inexpensive accommodation in Nairobi, which was a surprisingly expensive city. Jessi was extremely helpful on things to do and other questions and her colleagues were very good. Although the rooms are basic, they are clean, spacious and the hostel is safe. Transportation, which I arranged with the hostel, was always on time (including my pickup at the airport). Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
New Plymouth, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

My husband and I plus our two children aged 8 and 13 stayed here for 3 days at the start of our trip and then for 2 days at the end. I am also surprised at some of the reviews as we found the place comfortable and Jessie helpful. The family room was dark but reasonably comfortable. The double bed felt a little cramped because of the mosquito net (not box net) and we could have done with a bed sheet that was big enough to stay put on the mattress. On the positive side it was a secure compound, had a lovely garden for the kids and nice common area/restaurant where kids were pleased to catch up on kids TV. Jessie even brought DVD's through for my daughter to watch. On our return journey it was just myself and my daughter and we were able to change room with no problem. We found the food reasonably good and had no issues with the dogs who were mostly quiet at night. The other staff were pleasant and the safety boxes for valuables gave us piece of mind.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
london, uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Myself and my partner stayed here for a night at the beginning of our trip and a night at the end. The manager described below, we found friendly, outgoing and helpful so I'm surprised at some of the reviews below. We had to leave at 6am and she ensured she was up to see us off and to give us the breakfast we had ordered the night before.

We stayed in a room in the main house on the first night and an outside cabin for the second night. Both had large double beds which were really comfortable. The bathrooms and showers are fine and for the price you pay, I think all in all, it is a bargain, particularly when you compare it to prices for pretty poor hotels in Nairobi.

In terms of the food, it is ok. A bit overpriced compared to local restaurants but still quite cheap and if you're just wanting to relax for an evening, quite handy. The samosas though are fantastic and I recommend you stock up on them!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
travellingwilbury66
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

The only saving grace of this place is....oh hang on, there is no saving grace! The manager is a lunatic woman who gets roaring drunk in the evenings and abuses the guests (not me, I stayed my distance). The rooms are horrible and the food is below average. After one night I moved to Wildebeest camp. To be fair, the management at Wildebeest left a lot to be desired (what is it about expat hotel owners in Africa!? They're all absolute idiots with offensive views on local residents!) but it was still way better than Upper Hill. AVOID!

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

My partener and I stayed here for 1 night as a stopover in Nairobi, and I can honestly say I have never met an owner who is more rude. When we arrived we had to wait for the owner (a woman with long hair and lots of tattoos - I cannot remember her name), who rather bluntly listed off a series of rules whilst leading us to our room. We were shown to a cramped, overcrowded dorm room, in which the only spare beds were on opposite sides of the room. My partener then asked the woman if we could possibly stay in a different room, where we could at least stay closer together - a perfectly reasonable request seeing as we had passed other empty rooms. The manager then propmtly said "no, we dont do that". We were both a bit taken back by her blunt reply, and my partener asked her why we could not, as there were other rooms avaliable. The manager then became very aggressive, saying things like "we have a no bulls**t policy here, you wanna cause a problem?!" At this point I was completely taken back, and could see my partener was getting upset. I sais to the woman that I could not see what the problem was, as all my girlfriend had asked to do was see another room, to which the manager replied something about us obviously being troublemakers, and storming out. She returned a few minutes later announcing that there was no problem now, as she had called us a taxi and we would now find somewhere else to stay. This was not an option for us, as it was about 9pm, and there was no where else near by to stay. Worried at the prospect of having nowhere to stay during the night in Nairobi, I went to the desk to try and reason with the manager. She proceeded to make us appologise for 'being difficult', which we had no option but to do, before she allowed us to stay.

My partener and I are both in our early 30s, both proffessionals, and very polite. We are, and were not, in any way 'difficult', as the manager stated. Apparently it is too much to ask to have a look at a different room, even though you are paying for the service. The manager was an aggressive bully, and was obviously aware that we had nowhere else to go. Please stay away from this hostel, as not only will you experience this utterly unfriendly atmosphere, but you will also be putting money into the pocket of a very nasty woman. (We heard her shouting at several members of staff as well as turning 3 young girls away, even though they had booked in, becuase they had arrived after 10pm which is the hostel's 'cut-off time'. It was 10.15 when they arrived, and they left crying.)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Zichron Yaakov, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

i stayed at upper hill for a while, on and off while traveling in kenya, and really loved it!

the rooms were decent (best to call in advance to reserve a room, it can get a bit cold at night in the tents) and comfortable, the food delicious, the staff very accommodating.
the place offers safety boxes for security (for a fee), taxi services (slightly overpriced by the cab company, not the guesthouse) and long-term back storage for travelers planning to come back to nairobi.
the location of upper hill is not actually in upper hill, but is in a nice neighborhood with easy access to the city.

the only issues i had were as follows-
the common area closes around 10 pm, after which there isn't really were to go, unless the bar is open which doesn't happen often.
if you chose to stay after 12:00 the day you check out, an additional "hanging out" fee is charged.
besides that, the food is a bit more pricey than places in the city, and you can't really go anywhere without calling a taxi once it gets dark.
also, this wasn't an issue for me but the managers have a few dogs that roam around the campsite, i loved them and played with them but some people didn't enjoy their company as much as i did.

i heard of a few people who had issues with the management while staying at upper hill, but i really loved the staff. they were very helpful and i really enjoyed the company of the jessie, the manager who i had a few conversations with and also gave directions and tips for anything and everything i asked about.

altogether, i would definitely recommend this place, i had a great time and managed to meet many other travelers along the way. it just has a really great vibe to it, homey and welcoming.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to Upper Hill Campsite? Share your experiences!