“Nice for a night or two” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Milimani Backpackers & Safari Centre

Milimani Backpackers & Safari Centre
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Milimani Backpackers & Safari Centre
You added Milimani Backpackers & Safari Centre to your Saves list
Milimani Road | P.O Box 21005-00505, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #33 of 99 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Sydney
“Nice for a night or two”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I stayed at Milimani Backpackers for two nights on either side of a Maasai Mara Safari. I organised a transfer from the airport and was met by a representative at the arrivals hall.

The accommodation is very cheap and free wifi is a bonus. They also run tours from the backpackers including city tours and safaris.

Dorms were very empty when I stayed, only one other person in the 6 person room. Bathroom facilities are average but offer hot water (at times) which is a bonus. Bar and common areas were very quiet both times and meals took an age to arrive each time, between 45 minutes and an hour. Located quite close to the CBD

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Antwerp Province, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I think back with fond memories of my trip to Kenya. Milimani backpackers has played a huge role in this. Emmediately when I arrived I just felt at home in this place :)

The area is nice. The accomodation is good. The prices are fair. But those are not the reasons why I would return there. I would just return for the awesome vibe that floats around this cozy little place :D Meeting new people, exchanging travelling stories in the evening while having a drink, planning future endavours, everything is possible there.

So, If you are coming to Nairobi and are in in doubt where to stay. Doubt no more. You have found the perfect place!

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I stayed at Milimani for one night in a dorm. The staff was very friendly, and so were the other guests. The dorms are clean and cozy, with lockers and mosquito nets. I don't understand why you need to pay 100ksh to use the locker, even if you have your own lock. I only noticed three bathrooms in the whole place (for those in dorms), which wasn't a problem because the dorms weren't anywhere near full, but I could see it being a problem if it was.

The common area is nice, though smaller than what you get at Upper Hill hostel, where I usually stay. There's a tv, books, and information for things to do around Nairobi or Kenya. I loved the free, fast wi-fi. I did not like the dog hair all over all the couches.

The restaurant offers decently-priced food (about 500ksh for an entree, 250-300 for a burger, 120 for fruit and yogurt). The location is fairly convenient, there's a matatu not too far to go to the city centre.

Overall, I had a great time there, it felt very home-y because it was a smaller place and not too busy. I would stay again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

I have stayed here on two occasions, the first time was in a private room and the second time was in a dorm. The private rooms are clean, comfortable and quite and so too are the dorms but the lounge area could do with a renovation, however, it's still in acceptable condition. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The wifi is free which I think is essential for travelers. It is within walking distance to the city centre which is also important. There is no bar but beer can be bought. The food was average and the quantity could do with increasing. However, I would recommend this to people of any age. Very happy!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

N.b. this review refers to the guest house in Oldeani Crescent. Milimani backpackers offers reasonable rates in very basic but comfortable rooms in a relatively quiet area of the city. They serve food, have a bar and organise tours. The staff is very friendly. Showers deliver warm (not hot) water. Wifi is available here but rather slow.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Ham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

I found a lot of the reviews on Tripadvisor about this place a little off-putting but I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived.

My partner and I shared a private double room and were happy with the cleanliness and presentation of the two rooms we stayed in although the showers are not hot no matter how long you wait.

There is free wi-fi which was a huge bonus in our eyes, the food is OK (the chef is lovely) and very cheap and it is nice to meet other people who are on their travels.

The customer service was good too, I found some of the staff helpful on a few occasions but on the whole very friendly and personable.

The laundry service there is also handy if you are traveling light!

I would stay here again and would recommend to friends who are looking for a base in Nairobi.

Lastly, we organised a couple of trips through Milimani, we were NOT at all happy with the guide we were given for our Mount Kenya climb and did leave feedback for Milimani to look for someone else to use as he was extremely dangerous and unsuitable unless you are a super experienced mountaineer-er.

The safari we did however was good and reasonably priced so I would recommend that!

Room Tip: I like having a private room and thought those were good but what I saw of the dorms was good too!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I have stayed at Milimani many times, and when I'm there I feel as if I'm at home! The staff are very friendly and helpful, it is a very clean and comfortable environment, and it is easy to meet other travelers there. The location is good because it is safe, and also within walking distance of the city centre. I would highly recommend Milimani to travelers of any age.

Room Tip: Dorms are great
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Been to Milimani Backpackers & Safari Centre? Share your experiences!