“excellent” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Milimani Backpackers & Safari Centre

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Milimani Backpackers & Safari Centre
You added Milimani Backpackers & Safari Centre to your Saves list
St Hellen Ln Off Langata Road, Karen | P.O Box 21289, Nairobi 00505, Kenya   |
Ranked #24 of 137 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Antwerp Province, Belgium
“excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I think back with fond memories of my trip to Kenya. Milimani backpackers has played a huge role in this. Emmediately when I arrived I just felt at home in this place :)

The area is nice. The accomodation is good. The prices are fair. But those are not the reasons why I would return there. I would just return for the awesome vibe that floats around this cozy little place :D Meeting new people, exchanging travelling stories in the evening while having a drink, planning future endavours, everything is possible there.

So, If you are coming to Nairobi and are in in doubt where to stay. Doubt no more. You have found the perfect place!

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I stayed at Milimani for one night in a dorm. The staff was very friendly, and so were the other guests. The dorms are clean and cozy, with lockers and mosquito nets. I don't understand why you need to pay 100ksh to use the locker, even if you have your own lock. I only noticed three bathrooms in the whole place (for those in dorms), which wasn't a problem because the dorms weren't anywhere near full, but I could see it being a problem if it was.

The common area is nice, though smaller than what you get at Upper Hill hostel, where I usually stay. There's a tv, books, and information for things to do around Nairobi or Kenya. I loved the free, fast wi-fi. I did not like the dog hair all over all the couches.

The restaurant offers decently-priced food (about 500ksh for an entree, 250-300 for a burger, 120 for fruit and yogurt). The location is fairly convenient, there's a matatu not too far to go to the city centre.

Overall, I had a great time there, it felt very home-y because it was a smaller place and not too busy. I would stay again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

I have stayed here on two occasions, the first time was in a private room and the second time was in a dorm. The private rooms are clean, comfortable and quite and so too are the dorms but the lounge area could do with a renovation, however, it's still in acceptable condition. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The wifi is free which I think is essential for travelers. It is within walking distance to the city centre which is also important. There is no bar but beer can be bought. The food was average and the quantity could do with increasing. However, I would recommend this to people of any age. Very happy!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

N.b. this review refers to the guest house in Oldeani Crescent. Milimani backpackers offers reasonable rates in very basic but comfortable rooms in a relatively quiet area of the city. They serve food, have a bar and organise tours. The staff is very friendly. Showers deliver warm (not hot) water. Wifi is available here but rather slow.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Ham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

I found a lot of the reviews on Tripadvisor about this place a little off-putting but I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived.

My partner and I shared a private double room and were happy with the cleanliness and presentation of the two rooms we stayed in although the showers are not hot no matter how long you wait.

There is free wi-fi which was a huge bonus in our eyes, the food is OK (the chef is lovely) and very cheap and it is nice to meet other people who are on their travels.

The customer service was good too, I found some of the staff helpful on a few occasions but on the whole very friendly and personable.

The laundry service there is also handy if you are traveling light!

I would stay here again and would recommend to friends who are looking for a base in Nairobi.

Lastly, we organised a couple of trips through Milimani, we were NOT at all happy with the guide we were given for our Mount Kenya climb and did leave feedback for Milimani to look for someone else to use as he was extremely dangerous and unsuitable unless you are a super experienced mountaineer-er.

The safari we did however was good and reasonably priced so I would recommend that!

Room Tip: I like having a private room and thought those were good but what I saw of the dorms was good too!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I have stayed at Milimani many times, and when I'm there I feel as if I'm at home! The staff are very friendly and helpful, it is a very clean and comfortable environment, and it is easy to meet other travelers there. The location is good because it is safe, and also within walking distance of the city centre. I would highly recommend Milimani to travelers of any age.

Room Tip: Dorms are great
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Milimani got some of its own medicine being kicked off their old premises around Milimani Road, where Manyatta is located now. I think Milimani continues to provide misleading information about their business (also online, for example the weird warnings on their website) because it has not enough quality to compete in another way. Don’t expect the cool vibe or atmosphere here with lots of other young travelers that actually makes you go to hostel instead of staying at a hotel. And like usual, also don’t expect the bathroom facilities like a decent hotel room, this place even managed to take it to another extreme by not having running water in the morning at all. On the bright side, for those that always complain about unreliable Wi-Fi and the noise of all other travelers having fun with each other at the bar, Wi-Fi’s reliable and there’s nothing that will wake you up at Milimani. Their emphasis on the whole safety issue is a false argument; a guard and a gate are nothing more usual and they do not have such a good name when it comes down to having you stuff stolen. The thing with Nairobi seems to be a bit that on the one side really good and beautiful travelers’ places (like Wildebeest) are quite far from the center, while on the other side it can also be nice to just be able to easily walk to the center and have transportation, nice café, restaurant and decent nightlife options a bit more nearby. But also for the location, Milimani is not a really good choice I think. For example, their competitor Manyatta on Milimani Road (this name issue can be confusing) has a more convenient and nicer location. Some places run by locals I really like, but Milimani is just another dishonest business that contributes to the perception that western hostel management better caters for the need of young travelers and provides a much better source of information, more fun and a better vibe and atmosphere.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends