“Better than expected!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Milimani Backpackers & Safari Centre

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Milimani Backpackers & Safari Centre
You added Milimani Backpackers & Safari Centre to your Saves list
St Hellen Ln Off Langata Road, Karen | P.O Box 21289, Nairobi 00505, Kenya   |
Ranked #32 of 126 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Ham, United Kingdom
“Better than expected!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

I found a lot of the reviews on Tripadvisor about this place a little off-putting but I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived.

My partner and I shared a private double room and were happy with the cleanliness and presentation of the two rooms we stayed in although the showers are not hot no matter how long you wait.

There is free wi-fi which was a huge bonus in our eyes, the food is OK (the chef is lovely) and very cheap and it is nice to meet other people who are on their travels.

The customer service was good too, I found some of the staff helpful on a few occasions but on the whole very friendly and personable.

The laundry service there is also handy if you are traveling light!

I would stay here again and would recommend to friends who are looking for a base in Nairobi.

Lastly, we organised a couple of trips through Milimani, we were NOT at all happy with the guide we were given for our Mount Kenya climb and did leave feedback for Milimani to look for someone else to use as he was extremely dangerous and unsuitable unless you are a super experienced mountaineer-er.

The safari we did however was good and reasonably priced so I would recommend that!

Room Tip: I like having a private room and thought those were good but what I saw of the dorms was good too!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I have stayed at Milimani many times, and when I'm there I feel as if I'm at home! The staff are very friendly and helpful, it is a very clean and comfortable environment, and it is easy to meet other travelers there. The location is good because it is safe, and also within walking distance of the city centre. I would highly recommend Milimani to travelers of any age.

Room Tip: Dorms are great
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Milimani got some of its own medicine being kicked off their old premises around Milimani Road, where Manyatta is located now. I think Milimani continues to provide misleading information about their business (also online, for example the weird warnings on their website) because it has not enough quality to compete in another way. Don’t expect the cool vibe or atmosphere here with lots of other young travelers that actually makes you go to hostel instead of staying at a hotel. And like usual, also don’t expect the bathroom facilities like a decent hotel room, this place even managed to take it to another extreme by not having running water in the morning at all. On the bright side, for those that always complain about unreliable Wi-Fi and the noise of all other travelers having fun with each other at the bar, Wi-Fi’s reliable and there’s nothing that will wake you up at Milimani. Their emphasis on the whole safety issue is a false argument; a guard and a gate are nothing more usual and they do not have such a good name when it comes down to having you stuff stolen. The thing with Nairobi seems to be a bit that on the one side really good and beautiful travelers’ places (like Wildebeest) are quite far from the center, while on the other side it can also be nice to just be able to easily walk to the center and have transportation, nice café, restaurant and decent nightlife options a bit more nearby. But also for the location, Milimani is not a really good choice I think. For example, their competitor Manyatta on Milimani Road (this name issue can be confusing) has a more convenient and nicer location. Some places run by locals I really like, but Milimani is just another dishonest business that contributes to the perception that western hostel management better caters for the need of young travelers and provides a much better source of information, more fun and a better vibe and atmosphere.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I stayed here whilst going in and out of Africa and loved it! It's not a resort or a hotel but a simple and lovely place to catch up on some rest and get some quiet. I was with a big group so we kind of took over the place but there were others there traveling from all over the world who were like minded as us and were free spirits just enjoying Africa.

This place is great and a quick walk to the markets, java house (a must!), and extremely close to a pharmacy (also attached to Java House up the road). The food served on the outdoor little patio is great, didn't have to venture out else where. We enjoyed the nightly fire in the common room and it was a great place to play games. Indoors is another living room that had a big tv and sofas, perfect for catching up on news and movie channels.

I would recommend this place to people who want to be among natives as well as other travelers.

Be on the look out for Scooby, he really is a love of a dog :)

Oh, and it's safe! There are guards at the gated entry.

Room Tip: I stayed in Simba which has a lot of bunk beds, loved it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Milimani backpackers is an ideal base from which to explore Nairobi or the rest of Kenya.It is in a nice secluded compound South of the centre, has a beautiful garden, and relaxed atmosphere to find other travelers to explore Nairobi with. I made some great friends there, and drank many a relaxed beer on the patio. The food is decent, (especially some great breakfasts), the rooms are clean and comfortable, and staff is super helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

The hostel itself was ok if you are looking for a cheap place to stay in Nairobi. Nothing too special, not too clean, not too dirty. It is located in a peaceful area some kilometres from the city center and easily reached from the airport.

The service was sometimes really weird as they wanted to charge us phone calls we never made and breakfast we never got. When trying to solve the problem, they just told us we are wrong.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
New Orleans
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

GOOD: Third-party safari destination that they send you too is everything a safari should be!!! Peter, our driver, and Asmon, the chef, were a true delight. Fairly clean, average hostel.

BAD: Barely a common area to meet with other travelers, and an office-sense about the entire thing. Worst experience I had in Africa was not getting all my things stolen (bc our driver left the van unlocked where they brought us for lunch), but instead dealing with the wolfish owner after the fact. We lost over $800 in cash, all of our photos, a journal with 4 years of experiences, $1500 worth of gear, ALL of our gear, and medicines. I reasonably asked that her business not profit ($300) off of our misfortune (due to their employee) and maybe extend a hand to help us realize the rest of our plans --I was met with 3rd World stone-walling. $100 slap-in-the-face refund was offered so that we wouldn’t “blackmail” her with a bad (TRUE) review. It was particularly disturbing when she raised her hands to the air exclaiming, “I have done right in the eyes of God.” I 100% would tell anyone thinking about staying here not to support such a person as this. Oh and if she punished or fined the employee that messed up and her pockets saw the gain, how incredibly gross and even more unethical. Bad business, lady - and bad karma for your avarice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Milimani Backpackers & Safari Centre? Share your experiences!