“Pretty Decent” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sentrim Nairobi Boulevard Hotel

You added Sentrim Nairobi Boulevard Hotel to your Saves list
Sentrim Nairobi Boulevard Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Harry Thuku Road | PO Box 43436, Nairobi 00100, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)   |
Ranked #61 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
Calgary, Canada
“Pretty Decent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

My Dad and I stayed here in February 2012. The room we had was decent. It had 2 single beds that were okay. It didnt have AC but it wasnt that hot in that room. The swimming pool is really nice. It's being cleaned all the time and the service there is great! The front desk people are almost useless. Every time we had a question they would just mumble something and not know the answer. The restaurant is decent a bit over priced. I felt safe here. There is a safe in the room if you feel you need it (we used it.) It is a bit rundown in some places but just remembering the fact you are in Africa makes all the tiny problems no big deal.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on 3 different occassions with my last visit being in February this year.

The rooms are clean and comfortable with large bathrooms. While there is no air conditioning they do have fans and you are able to open the window without being annoyed by traffic noise and pollution as they hotel is set on large grounds away from the road. The room also offers bottled water, tea and coffee making facilities and flat screen tv.

It is in a great location and just a few minutes walk into the centre of town (3-5 minutes) where you can find ATMS, banks, restaurants, shops and tourist attractions. It is also very close to the National Museum (a few minutes walk). It is also not too far from the airport and a taxi will cost around $20USD one way.

There is a restaurant and bar and I have enjoyed dinner here most trips. There is a good menu selection at dinner (I am vegetarian) and while the buffet breakfast isn't the best I have had it is reasonable and they offer a hot and cold selection.

The hotel also offers an internet cafe and wifi (paid) and both options are very well priced.

All the staff I encountered - Manager, housekeeping, food and bev, security etc have all been very friendly and helpful whenever I needed assistance.

I was very happy with my last stay and will stay here again when I return to Kenya in September.

I believe the poor reviews are due to the fact that people may have unrealistic expectations of hotels in Kenya - it is Africa... There are lots of 5 star hotel options however most charge 5 star prices too. This is a hotel which offers a great location with friendly staff and is a great price.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

This hotel was suggested by our travel agent and tour group Kumuka to stay here. After reading the reviews on trip advisor before we left I was still a bit sketchy about it. We arrived at the hotel the night before our tour began and the staff were rude and not very helpful. I had an unexpected emergency that I had to deal with back home that I found out just before I got on the flight to Nairobi and in order to deal with it I required the use of the internet and a phone. I was informed by staff that neither were working and I couldn't make outside phone calls. I later found out that the internet business room was open and working.

On our way back from our amazing tour we were dropped off back at the Boulevard. Some people we met on the tour were staying there one more night and offered for us to use their hotel room so we could freshen up and re pack our bags while we waited for our flight later that night. The front desk called up their room demanding that they will be charged an extra $100 per bag/person that is in their room. They clearly didn't understand that we were not sleeping the night there. We then had to store our bags in the store room which was not locked at all times, eventhough they assured us it was.

As for the breakfast it is ok but the rooms are very basic and only one fan in there. Overall, I really don't think the hotel gets its' value for money. Don't stay there and I wouldn't recommend Kumuka or travel agents to suggest it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
El Fondo de les Neus, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

What terrible run down 60's leftover !! From the less than effusive front office male clerks through to the rock solid pillows this place is a shocker
Plus points though are the majority of the F&B staff and the room attendants . The rooms , hot and airless , are so well maintained , and when I ran hotels I would have given a lot for such a team. The F&B staff , apart from the Breakfast Team , do a good job pushing out some very poor offerings , the cooking is truly slap dash.

The pool is cloudy and in very poor condition and is a perfect example of what lies inside the building !

To add spice to our stay --- after I paid for WiFi connection and told it did not work I was refused a refund , I very politely told the Business Center Guy that I would not accept this ! He seemed genuinely surprised that I should object to funding his life style , after a little pep talk he agreed to allow me to use his computers instead !!

This hotel , to my amazement , seems to have regulars , they greet the very amiable staff warmly and order the food ; life is full of surprises !!

I cannot recommend this lodging to any one who lives in the 21 st century, I was in the business , I have seen run down properties milked for all they were worth -- this beats the band !!!

Room Tip: Do not risk it !!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Västra Götaland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Boulevard both before and after a safari overland trip last summer, mainly because the hotel serves as a meeting point for GAP Adventures. We didn't get disappointed though - the rooms are nice and clean, and the location is good - a walking distance downtown, and close to Nairobi National Museum aswell.

The rooms were big enough for two persons, with two single beds, a closet with a safe and a small fridge. Water was given after cleaning, so there were always a new bottle waiting after a looong day walking in Nairobi... the bathroom was nice aswell, very clean and quite new (in the rooms we stayed in).

There is a highway right outside the hotel area, with loads of heavy traffic, but we didn't find it disturbing (I guess you get kind of used to it after a few hours in nairobi!). The hotel area is guarded, and fenced with a gate at the front. The garden was nice, and there was a pool - but we didn't swim, and we didn't see anyone else do that either... but there is one!

The restaurant was nice - breakfast was included in our booking, and the buffet was great with loads to chose between. We also had dinner a couple of nights, and the a la carte was great aswell - but watch out for the papadam masala, it was SUPER hot... I usually love spicy food, but this was... extreme ;) the food wasn't that expensive either, not compared to what we are used to in sweden, so I would definately recommend this restuarant!

And, something else; if you're planning a walk downtown, and don't want to get stuck right outside the gates of the hotel, do NOT talk to the guys in the small shops right outside the gates... we were stuck there for half an hour, and eventually bought thwo necklaces for 10 USD just to get rid of them... well, we are quite a bit wiser now ;)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012 via mobile

Very basic rooms for the cost. Breakfast is average. Location not the best and place needs a good coat of paint.

• Stayed December 2011
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Bulevard Hotel was the perfect holiday destination for my Wife and I. Our requirements were, quiet, secluded, intimate surroundings for us to relax and laze the days away.

Though we wanted a relaxing break from work,Amos(manager) of sunset africa safaris did arrange excursions for us during the few days we stayed the Hotel. We went for 5 days Masai Mara,Nakuru and Lake Naivasha safari which we actually really enjoyed.. Also took a trip to City tour Karen Blixen visit.
sunset africa safaris are the best in safaris while in Kenya,No fault they are the best recommendable.

Hotel:

Staff - The staff were attentive and polite always.

Surroundings - Quiet and relaxed surroundings.

The service was really second to none, We've stayed in hotels, hostels, boutiques all over the world and at Boulevard they really try to make your stay the best possible.

No complaints from us and we would definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sentrim Nairobi Boulevard Hotel? Share your experiences!