“Escaping to nature” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Malu

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Malu
Ranked #17 of 107 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“Escaping to nature”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

From horse riding to bird watching, and buffalo too, this was a true escape to nature.
A group of ten of us were made to feel totally at home, and the cottages were extremely romantic.
All the staff were fantastic - just very sweet.
The location was wonderful for nearby game parks, and we enjoyed the feeling of being far away from the hustle and bustle too.
Lying on the sofa on my cottage terrace... watching the tiny Dik Dik dears running through the grass. Just magical!

Room Tip: Ask for the cottage at the end of the row... secluded and lovely!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this review, October 6, 2014
Thank you for your lovely review. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay at Malu and hope that we will be able to welcome you back again one day soon. We always appreciate our delighted guests taking the time to tell us of the brilliant things as much as we appreciate the need for some guests to remind us where we need to do a little better and try a little harder. Thank you.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Nairobi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Malu Farm is really run down and needs a thorough clean up especially the cottages and bathrooms! They were dusty and full of cobwebs! We spent 2 nites in the cottages and the bugs and cobwebs were there despite the beds being done!
The food definitely needs to be improved......not Italian at all as per your website Waiters should know wha'ts on the menu for each meal and they were slow serving the meals especially with kids! They had no juices for the children!
The farmyard needs to be more kid friendly with staff that can talk about the animals too! My kids did enjoy milking the cow and collecting the chicken eggs though!
The highlight of our stay was the Plunge Pool! Absolutely amazing!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this review, October 6, 2014
Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you feel Malu is "run down" - We received some lovely reviews from other guests staying at the same time as you and I looked into your complaint to see if there was something underlying - and I am not sure - we had guests who extended their stay over the period, we had others staying at the same time who booked to come back at the end of their Kenya stay - they loved it. We had a large group that I think overlapped with you and their review was superb. I am sorry that we didn't meet your expectations and I will ensure that we do all that we can to raise our standards - we really aren't happy until ALL of our guests are happy. Thank you for taking the time to offer us a review and we will take your comments on board and strive to be better.
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Malu is a beautiful lodge in a private forest reserve about 95 kilometers out of Nairobi. We got in after they were done serving lunch but they were still kind enough to go back to the kitchen and prepare lunch for us. A very friendly service man - Joseph explained where our cottage was (not an easy feat to get it in the night and with heavy rains). The romantic cottage is quite old and has a rustic feel, needs major refurbishing all round. Overall I greatly enjoyed my time here, it was peaceful and serene and just the ideal place to relax. The food was great and they even offer to bring it to the rooms. They light up a fire in the cottage which is great. The staffs are super friendly. The swirl pool isn't all that, so don't get your hopes high.. All said a lovely place and worth a visit. Work on the rooms and i'd give an excellent rating. Would definitely go back :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this review, October 6, 2014
Thank you SO much for your kind review. It is often that people take the time to review when they have a complaint, rather than when they have a wonderful time - so I am deeply appreciative of those that take the time to leave a kind review when they have had a good time. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Malu again soon.
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The staff at Malu Lodge are absolutely lovely. From the ladies who set up a fire for you in the evening, to the staff in the restaurant, they are delightful people. They also go the extra mile to make sure children have a wonderful experience. They love setting up donkey cart rides and showing the kids how to milk the resident cow.

Aside from the staff and the activities provided for the children, we were a bit disappointed, especially after reading other reviews. The food is average - nothing special. The cottages are very cute, but need to be cleaned. Our bathroom was in pretty bad shape, for example, including a very dirty toilet seat. For the price we paid, we simply expected better. For less money you can stay at the lovely Chui Lodge (AMAZING food + game drives in their conservancy) or one of the other wonderful properties at Lake Naivasha or nearby at Lake Nakuru.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this review, October 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry your room was not up to our high cleanliness standard and I am appalled by the idea of a "dirty loo seat" - I am mortified and please accept our deepest apologies - I hope that it was only dirt in terms of dust! With regards pricing I am quite concerned as we are CONSIDERABLY cheaper than Chui, which is also a lovely lodge, however they are a much higher price point than Malu. Five times more expensive having just looked at a recent Trip Advisor price. Unfortunately we cannot control or dictate the cost given to you by an Agent - most Agents will charge our standard rates - but that is not to say that an unscrupulous agent can't charge whatever they like - We feel at Malu we are VERY reasonably priced, and of any complaint we may receive - value for money, as a complaint is a deeply bitter pill for us to swallow. Once again - thank you for taking the time to give us an honest opinion.
Nairobi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Maul is a beautiful farm with lovely cottages. The rooms have a fireplace which makes the rooms quite cosy and warm. The meals provided are really good from breakfast to the in room dinner service for when you want to eat in. I spent two days in malu and enjoyed every bit of it. If you are looking for a break from Nairobi and looking for a place to go with the family or just a romantic getaway, this is the place. I recommend the tree house if you are going with a large group of 6 or more. It's beautiful with a small river crossing below. It's quite secluded so its not for those who are not used to this. Recommend having a barbecue outside, if you rent the tree house. The service is in this place is great!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this review, October 6, 2014
Thank you very much for your kind and honest review. You will be pleased to hear we have cleared even more area around the treehouse to make that special area even more fun! We look forward to welcoming you back.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Malu Hotel is a small country hotel in a private forest reserve with fabulous views over Lake Naivasha about 95 kilometers out of Nairobi.
Over the years I had heard such great reviews of this place that my expectations were very high when we set out for the Easter weekend. We got in late and were met by a very friendly manager Dan who explained where our cottage was (not an easy feat to get it in the night and with heavy rains). My biggest disappointment was the romantic cottage (boy, was I looking forward to a romantic weekend), the cottage is very old and clearly needs major refurbishing all round, the net over the bed has droppings from the thatched roof that have accumulated over time, the bath area also needs attention. For the price tag they can surely do some upgrading of facilities.
Once I got over the cottage I must say I greatly enjoyed my time here, it was peaceful and serene and just the ideal place to relax. The food was good and they even offer to bring it to the rooms ( in my view highly overworking the few cleaning gals who sometimes had to do it in the rain). They light up a fire in the cottage which is great. The staffs are super friendly. The highly spoken about swirl pool was again underwhelming but as I said this may be due to my overly high expectations.
All said a lovely place and worth a visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this review, October 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry for your initial underwhelming thoughts, but I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall and that our staff looked after you well. The natural hot spring pool is natural and fed from underground springs - during the rainy season, this can become filled with run off rain water and become a little "underwhelming as you say" - the small downside of a natural spring in middle of the forest - I am sorry. You will be pleased to hear the rooms are undergoing renovations. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to Malu again soon. Once again, thank you for your honest review.
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I went in November last year with my mother (over 70) and my son (under 2) and all three of us were enchanted by the place. Quiet and peaceful, great staff, delicious food. The farm was great for my little son who collected eggs and fed the chickens and even helped me milk a cow.

I would recommend this place to anyone who has small children. I was really happy because there are not many places which are not too far from Nairobi that also cater well for children.

Will definitely go back and explore the property more.

Room Tip: If you don't bring your car and have small children stay in cottage 1 which is closest to the re...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed it. We have plans for a little play area for children and some more farm animals - piglets soon we hope, and we have our new little puppy that has begun to steal guests hearts! - have a look at our Malu Facebook page for updates.

Been to Malu? Share your experiences!