“Not what we expected...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Malu

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Malu
You added Malu to your Saves list
Naivasha, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Offers & Announcements
Mid week - 3 nights for 2
Ranked #16 of 124 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Washington, DC
“Not what we expected...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The staff at Malu Lodge are absolutely lovely. From the ladies who set up a fire for you in the evening, to the staff in the restaurant, they are delightful people. They also go the extra mile to make sure children have a wonderful experience. They love setting up donkey cart rides and showing the kids how to milk the resident cow.

Aside from the staff and the activities provided for the children, we were a bit disappointed, especially after reading other reviews. The food is average - nothing special. The cottages are very cute, but need to be cleaned. Our bathroom was in pretty bad shape, for example, including a very dirty toilet seat. For the price we paid, we simply expected better. For less money you can stay at the lovely Chui Lodge (AMAZING food + game drives in their conservancy) or one of the other wonderful properties at Lake Naivasha or nearby at Lake Nakuru.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this review, October 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry your room was not up to our high cleanliness standard and I am appalled by the idea of a "dirty loo seat" - I am mortified and please accept our deepest apologies - I hope that it was only dirt in terms of dust! With regards pricing I am quite concerned as we are CONSIDERABLY cheaper than Chui, which is also a lovely lodge, however they are a much higher price point than Malu. Five times more expensive having just looked at a recent Trip Advisor price. Unfortunately we cannot control or dictate the cost given to you by an Agent - most Agents will charge our standard rates - but that is not to say that an unscrupulous agent can't charge whatever they like - We feel at Malu we are VERY reasonably priced, and of any complaint we may receive - value for money, as a complaint is a deeply bitter pill for us to swallow. Once again - thank you for taking the time to give us an honest opinion.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Nairobi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Maul is a beautiful farm with lovely cottages. The rooms have a fireplace which makes the rooms quite cosy and warm. The meals provided are really good from breakfast to the in room dinner service for when you want to eat in. I spent two days in malu and enjoyed every bit of it. If you are looking for a break from Nairobi and looking for a place to go with the family or just a romantic getaway, this is the place. I recommend the tree house if you are going with a large group of 6 or more. It's beautiful with a small river crossing below. It's quite secluded so its not for those who are not used to this. Recommend having a barbecue outside, if you rent the tree house. The service is in this place is great!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this review, October 6, 2014
Thank you very much for your kind and honest review. You will be pleased to hear we have cleared even more area around the treehouse to make that special area even more fun! We look forward to welcoming you back.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Malu Hotel is a small country hotel in a private forest reserve with fabulous views over Lake Naivasha about 95 kilometers out of Nairobi.
Over the years I had heard such great reviews of this place that my expectations were very high when we set out for the Easter weekend. We got in late and were met by a very friendly manager Dan who explained where our cottage was (not an easy feat to get it in the night and with heavy rains). My biggest disappointment was the romantic cottage (boy, was I looking forward to a romantic weekend), the cottage is very old and clearly needs major refurbishing all round, the net over the bed has droppings from the thatched roof that have accumulated over time, the bath area also needs attention. For the price tag they can surely do some upgrading of facilities.
Once I got over the cottage I must say I greatly enjoyed my time here, it was peaceful and serene and just the ideal place to relax. The food was good and they even offer to bring it to the rooms ( in my view highly overworking the few cleaning gals who sometimes had to do it in the rain). They light up a fire in the cottage which is great. The staffs are super friendly. The highly spoken about swirl pool was again underwhelming but as I said this may be due to my overly high expectations.
All said a lovely place and worth a visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this review, October 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry for your initial underwhelming thoughts, but I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall and that our staff looked after you well. The natural hot spring pool is natural and fed from underground springs - during the rainy season, this can become filled with run off rain water and become a little "underwhelming as you say" - the small downside of a natural spring in middle of the forest - I am sorry. You will be pleased to hear the rooms are undergoing renovations. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to Malu again soon. Once again, thank you for your honest review.
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I went in November last year with my mother (over 70) and my son (under 2) and all three of us were enchanted by the place. Quiet and peaceful, great staff, delicious food. The farm was great for my little son who collected eggs and fed the chickens and even helped me milk a cow.

I would recommend this place to anyone who has small children. I was really happy because there are not many places which are not too far from Nairobi that also cater well for children.

Will definitely go back and explore the property more.

Room Tip: If you don't bring your car and have small children stay in cottage 1 which is closest to the re...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed it. We have plans for a little play area for children and some more farm animals - piglets soon we hope, and we have our new little puppy that has begun to steal guests hearts! - have a look at our Malu Facebook page for updates.
ouagadougou
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Malu Farm is a fantastic place for a nice week end away from Nairobi. The cottages are absolutely fabulous: cozy, comfortable, clean, with a fireplace, and a fantastic view over Lake Navaisha. The food is fantastic, and the service impeccable.
This is a great place for families: children can see and feed the farm animals, it is possible to hike around the farm, enjoy the hot water hole, and ride horses.
Our only deception was that we did not see a lot of wildlife on the farm. But we will definitely be back to try the fabulous looking tree house !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review - I am sorry that you didn't get to see much wildlife, they can do a good job of hiding! - I would recommend some night game drives as one can see quite a bit with a spot light and the car's headlights - game drives at night are not allowed in the National Parks, but at Malu on our private 2000 acres you can explore all night until your heart's content and you can sometimes get lucky with seeing a Leopard at night. I hope that you will come back again soon and we will work on making sure that you get to see some animals! Thank you.
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

This place is expensive, but you get what you pay for. The cottages are beautifully decorated! The food was pretty good. There are lots of activities for kids, but we just went to relax. The views from your cottage of the hills are stunning. They even bring you your dinner to your cottage if you don't feel like going to the restaurant, which is a bit of a distance. The staff is very nice and friendly. Not that close to the lake, but not that far either.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Thank you for your kind review, and I am sorry if you feel that we are a little expensive - we do try so hard to keep our costs down, and in turn our rates, but the managing of the 2000 acres and trying to keep the highest quality in linens, food, included activities etc takes its toll on our costs - however we will continue to work hard at providing the best value for money!
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

10 of and my friends and I had a fabulous time at the Malu treehouse this past weekend. The staff were AMAZING - kudos to Emmanuel and his team, who were more than generous and indulged our whims. The chef made an amazing spread - we were constantly eating. Beautiful views and the river just rushing beneath were a great accompaniment to the whole experience.

The road getting there is not for the faint of heart. It gets plenty cold at night too, but the duvets and blankets provided were more than enough. We had a great time and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: If you're a loud group like we were, go for the tree house. It gives you privacy, plus you don...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
I'm so glad that you had fun at the Tree House - it is a special place. We have some improvements in the pipeline for the Tree House so hope to make it even better! It is a special and fun place though.

Been to Malu? Share your experiences!