“Worst night ever for that price” 1 of 5 stars

Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mombasa Road, Nairobi 00500, Kenya   |
Ranked #24 of 122 Hotels in Nairobi
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Worst night ever for that price”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Staying at Ole-Sereni in an attempt to have a night comfortable night in transit. For the price they charge you, that is at least what you'd expect ... Nevertheless, i got a room without water supply - no shower, not even able to use the bathroom!! And that for a nice 250USD/night! It's a bargain, really!! To add to the fun, they also switched off the ACs ... So i am now paying an excruciating amount of money for no shower, no toilet, and a bloody hot room. This is absolutely insane!!!!! The worst place ever!!!!
I could accept that things happen by accident. BUT when i checked in people could have warned me ... Hey, it may even have been an idea to put guests in another nearby hotel ... or at least off er that option. MAYBE one could have provided bottled water - enough to wash your face with or brush your teeth ... MAYBE ... A voucher for a free dinner? ... Not sure, but there's about 100 options that are better than the treatment we are receiving here tonight.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Rustington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed for three nights, clean comfortable rooms, not huge rooms but adequate and were very noisey - you can hear light switches being clicked on/off in the room next door.

The food was good, not earth shattering but decent honest fayre.

Loved sitting on the veranda with a cold beer.

Service was either excellent or lack lustre. Checking in was a slow farce and room not even ready (arrived at 10pm)!!

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for taking time to share your feedback.

I have taken note of your concerns and we will rectify them right away.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

5 stars for the bar and restaurant area (perfect for meetings before getting on a plane) and for the gym/ spa which is very nice.

5 stars also for Raphel - a member of the front desk staff - who was superb, helping me with an IT problem when I stayed there earlier in 2014 (I've had his name jotted down in my note pad to share with Ole Serini management for really good customer service, sorry for the delay).

However a maximum of 3 stars for the rooms.

They just seem not as good (and a good deal older) compared to other top-end Nairobi hotels such as the Kempinski, the Crowne Plaza or Tribe. This is even before considering the fact that they back on to the building site for the new Mombasa road, which can get very noisy.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience.

I will surely share your sentiments with Raphael and thank you for acknowledging his efforts.

On the rooms interiors, I am glad to inform you that we are in the process of giving it a face lift and also all rooms are undergoing the installation of 'Double Glazed Windows' which will kill the noise coming from the noise.

Edwards, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It's close to both airports, clean, great restaurant - including breakfast and rooms are perfect. They have a lot of safety features which make one feel very secure staying there. The staff is both friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your positive experience.

Falkirk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was travelling in Africa for 10 weeks on a budget but decided for my last night to treat myself. For me it really did have a good location for a last night stay - a nice hotel close to the airport and avoiding the traffic in Nairobi. I suppose everyone's experience and expectations are different but this mostly delivered on what I wanted for my last day with only a few very minor exceptions.
Airport transfers are around $25 USD. I emailed the hotel to book an airport pick-up which was confirmed. Unfortunately due to a Kenya Airlines technical fault I was delayed in Malawi for quite some time - when I tried to call the hotel to advise them of the delay and a change of pick-up time it wasn't a very successful experience. Due to lack of success on the phone to the hotel and limited wifi in Malawi airport in the end I had to call a friend in the UK to email my change of plans to the hotel. Someone was there to pick me up on time at the airport. Not sure if they monitored my flight or took note of my friends update email.
The room I had overlooked the new planned road at the back of the hotel and not the National Park. I paid £135 in advance for my room for single occupancy - room only. Single occupancy always tends to be steep and maybe I would have thought this hotel was good value had I been travelling with a friend to share the costs with.
The room was very comfortable, the staff very pleasant and the restaurants and food were reasonable value.
I checked out at noon but my flight wasn't until midnight so I asked reception staff if there was somewhere I could have a shower later on in the day. I was told I could arrange to have a shower at the health club. This is possibly my error as I didn't specifically arrange it. When i went to have a shower at the health club at the end of the day there wasn't a member of staff around. On exiting the shower I was told I had to pay $20 for taking the shower. I ended up being taken to the managers office and having to apologise to the manager for not arranging it in advance in order to avoid this charge - not a good experience.
On arrival I gave reception staff my card for a pre-authorisation amount of £50 USD. On check-out I was told this was cancelled however on returning home my bank account still noted this as an outstanding authorisation. I then had to email to ask for it to be removed but received no response. However a couple of days later it disappeared from my account.
Overall this is a nice hotel and my experience was generally good with only a few irritating little things.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Thank you so much for taking time to share your feedback.

I am glad to learn that your stay was pleasant.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

we were stuck overnight in Kenya until our safari guide could pick us up the next morning. breakfast was a little pricey but delicious. rooms were modern and clean. pool and views are great. no complaints.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you for sharing your positive experience.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great rooms - even on the highway-side - the lack of view didn't bother me as I was traveling for business, and could take in the scenery over breakfast. Very comfortable bed. Fantastic breakfast. Quality internet. Courteous, friendly, enthusiastic personnel. Good gym with pretty much everything you'd need. Even more important than all of that, however, is the location - perfect for access to Mombasa Road businesses and the airport, and avoiding most of Nairobi traffic jams.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for taking time to share your positive feedback.

I am very pleased to learn that your stay was pleasant.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi? Share your experiences!