“Looks much nicer on the inside” 5 of 5 stars

Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mombasa Road, Nairobi 00500, Kenya   |
Ranked #23 of 110 Hotels in Nairobi
Melbourne, Australia
“Looks much nicer on the inside”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Driving past this hotel I didn't think much of it but once we got inside it was beautiful.
I stayed here for 1 night with my sister and my dad as our flight to Tanzania left very early the next morning.
We ate lunch and dinner in the hotel and both were very nice.
The buffet lunch had lots of variety and the balcony had a nice view over the game park.
Staff were very friendly and helpful.
Rooms were very clean and quite roomy i though. Everything was well stocked and the tv had a good variety of channels. Not a lot of sound proofing though, I could hear the people next to us and above us all night but it didnt bother me too much.
The gift shop was very good as well. Not overpriced and still had a good variety of knick knacks for sale

Room Tip: Ask for one that overlooks the game park. Its nice to look out the window and see something run past
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback.

We are in the process of installing sound proof windows.

I am truly pleased to hear that your stay was pleasant and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

The hotel had been chosen by our Travel Company for an overnight stay before flying onto Tanzania. Unfortunately our flight did not arrive in Nairobi until 9.45pm so we arrived at the Hotel around 11.15pm, in the dark, which is not the best way of seeing it.
The hotel was well situated, with guarded gate and strangely enough an airport type security scanner for baggage at the reception entrance.
We were all very tired and the hassle of booking in did nothing to endear us to the Hotel. It was slow to the extreme despite there being four desk positions, but only two attended, I suspect it was lack of staff.
Everything got worse, since the electronic door keys failed to work and this meant a queue of guests at reception attempting to get assistance to enter their rooms.
You soon found out that everything is quite laid back and a "hurry-up" mentality just does not exist.
The room we were given however was the Masai Suite which was just heavenly but we could not open the windows due to the mosquitos and other flying insects.
Also having to be collected at 6am the following morning did nothing to allow us to appreciate this great ex-American Embassy building.
I am told that a game park comes right up to the Hotel but being dark on arrival and departure, nothing could be seen.
Under other circumstances, I am sure this Hotel would be great, we just hit the ground running so did not have the chance to experience the pleasures and daylight.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

My sincere apologies on the series of inconveniences you faced during the check-in process.

greatexpectationss
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

A very disappointing visit.....

Staff were slow and inattentive, and tried to overcharge me in many ways, from food i had not ordered, to overcharging certain items.

So i left disappointed and it got worse after that. The overall bill was put through multiple times on my card. I believe that this was done deliberately based on the earlier unsuccessful attempt to overcharge me.

No response from the hotel when i wrote to complain.

There are far better options in Nairobi - I suggest you go elsewhere or pay in cash. Do not trust this establishment with your credit card.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to share your feedback.

In regards to your complain we did investigate the matter and strict corrective measures have been taken to ensure they are not repeated.

We sincerely hope that we don't lose you as our guest and look forward to welcoming you back.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Recently in Nairobi and we selected the Ole Sereni; close to the airport, was the former US embassy with tight security and is quite stunning. The best part is that it overlooks the National Game Park and we saw giraffe while having breakfast. I found the staff accommodating.

Room Tip: try for a room overlooking the park
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you for sharing your positive experience.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The view from the hotel is absolutely stunning and the service quality is great. I stayed at the hotel for three nights for business and I will return if my road leads back to Kenya. I did however expect more from a 5 star property - everything is on par with a 3/4 star property. Room was clean, restaurant was good quality and good wifi, but nothing exceptional...

Good location to the airport.

Room Tip: Task for a room with a view of the National Park.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to share your positive review.

We are in the process of adding value on all levels of hotel operations and I am sure your future visits will be memorable.We look forward to welcoming you. back.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

While the hotel itself was OK, the service was really not good.

- I made the reservation online. When I needed to add another night, and another guest, I had to make multiple phone calls. I was told that the reservations dept doesn't deal with internet bookings. How can they not deal with bookings made on their own website?? When they finally agreed to add a night as one off thing, I had to call 3 times before they finally emailed me a confirmation.

- On arrival I was told I can't get a twin room (even though I had a guest joining on the second night). Was told I could have a king, and switch to a twin on the second night. I was then led to a smoking room. The bell boy (who was very good by the way) then called, and got me transferred to a non-smoking twin room. Apparently they did have twin rooms!!

- That night I dined at the eagles restaurant. I was sat and told that it would take a while to take my order. Someone finally showed up after 10 minutes!! This is the fine dining restaurant. I was given an iPad to order drinks. I ordered one. Nothing came. The waiter then told me the iPad system doesn't work. Why give me one in the first place??

- On checkout, I was given a really confusing bill, which didn't add up to the total I was being charged. I even had to go back to the reception and they finally gave me an itemised bill, albeit still very confusing.

Room Tip: Park view, non-smoking.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your feedback.

We truly apologize for the inconveniences you had faced and assure you that your future stays will be memorable.

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The Ole Sereni is close to the airport, has amazing service for travellers - from the friendly and helpful porters to the quick and efficient desk staff. I stayed one night which was a pit because my trip was very rushed. However for a business traveller the restauart is open 24 hours so breakfast before the very early flight is a possibility. Ask for a park facing room so you can see the animals in the morning (I hear but had a city facing room). Clean and well furnished rooms although the one bedroom was a tad small for my liking. The bathroom kind of feels like its inside the bedroom. Overall though about 10 minutes away from the airport (20 in some traffic) and I will definitely be staying there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a door away from the passage entry door - the sound of cards in that door kept me awake for...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
I thank you for taking time to share your positive experience.

We are truly pleased to know that your stay was memorable and look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi? Share your experiences!