“I liked it so much, I'm going back” 4 of 5 stars

Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mombasa Road, Nairobi 00500, Kenya   |
Ranked #25 of 134 Hotels in Nairobi
Gothenburg, Sweden
“I liked it so much, I'm going back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

On the edge of the Nairobi Park, close to the airport and far enough away from the chaos of downtown Nairobi, the Ole Sereni is in an ideal location. The only drawback is the construction work at the front of the hotel - but this only really affects the aesthetics. I found the service to be friendly even if the receptionists were not the most efficient, my room furnished to a high standard and clean, and the restaurant/ bar areas pleasant and comfortable. Breakfast was great, and dinner above average compared to other meals I have eaten in Kenya.
The hotel offers a transfer service to/ from the airport which is expensive, so if possible try and arrange for a local taxi service. Booking rooms directly through the hotel can be complicating and frustrating, so make reservations through hotels.com or some such site. (Note, however, that the prices do not differ.)

Room Tip: Rooms facing the park may afford you views of buffalo at the waterhole and promise to be quieter. Ho...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

I am pleased to learn that your stay was a pleasant one. We will address the booking concern you raised.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

First let me qualify this by saying that we did not intend to stay here as we were booked at a lodge in Nairobi Park. The Kenyan Wildlife Service decided that very day to ban night driving to deter poaching and we were re-booked at the Ole Sereni, The hotel is quite large and borders the park. It is very convenient to the airport which is a great plus in Nairobi where you can sit for literally hours in traffic. I believe it is also a meeting and conference hotel.

The rooms was quite nice and you would have everything that you might expect and need.
We left very early and the restaurant was not open at that hour so I cannot comment on the breakfast. We did have dinner in the Big Five restaurant the night we arrived and that was good. We ate on the patio.

Which brings me to the only caveat - we did have a room that was over the bar. This is not the best idea as people are in the bar out on the patio at all hours as it seems to be a popular place. (even at 1 a.m.) I would request a room as far away from the bar as possible.

Otherwise - a fine place to stay especially if you are hitting the airport early.

Room Tip: Try Not to get over any outside dining or drinking patio - although those are on the park view side.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback.

I am pleased that your stay was a pleasant one apart from the noise from the patio area and for that we do sincerely apologise.

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Spent 3 nights in Feb 14 (my 3 stay in 6 months) and remain undecided about where on the mix of good and not so good Ole Sereni represents. Generally the staff are excellent, cheerful and very helpful. The hotel is clean and the fabric well maintained.
The not so good, the bedrooms are small; I mean Japanese small; the bedroom air con makes a lot of noise but doesn't really affect the temperature. The same can be said for the mini bar.
Prices are not cheap at US$250/night. What shocked me even more was the breakfast at KES3,000 which came to over US$35. It used to be hearty buffet, but now all meats are portion controlled by staff; you can't have it both ways and expect guests to put up with it. Time to try a new hotel in Nairobi.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

We have taken note of your concern on the Room & Breakfast pricing. We believe we offer value for money and our aim is to continuously enhance the product. On the room size front, we are in the process of revamping the interiors.

We hope you will consider our services in your future travels.

Worcester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

How disappointing a hotel this was. Lovely setting although the new highway running alongside it will not enhance the views of the national park. Could not reserve a room online or by telephone with the reservations department. Ended up using booking.com. Not enough staff on duty at reception, porter etc. complete shambles.
Restaurant. Was great - good food and lovely setting.
Massage superb.
Deluxe room overlooking the park quite small and in spite of advertising "small" balcony it was only bars outside the windows. View was lovely though.
Wanted to charge 3000/- for a 20 minute taxi ride to the airport. We called one locally at half the price.
All in all an extremely disappointing stay.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms overlook the park. Standard rooms overlook the highway being constructed extremely clos...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

My sincere apologies on the service lapses you faced while booking the room. I have taken this up with my Team and we assure they are rectified now.

May we request you reconsider our services during your future visits to Nairobi as we assure you a superior experience.

Tafton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

My husband and I travel to Nairobi for 2 weeks almost every month. Although we have tried other hotels a few times we always come back to stay at the Ole Sereni. One of the main reasons is the superb dining. Thanks to the expertise of Executive Chef Kevin Barron and his staff we have had marvelous dining experiences. The Ole Sereni offers various levels of dining from savory bites and sandwiches at the Watering Hole, to scrumptious meals at the Big Five and now at their new restaurant, The Eagle, guests can experience fine dining at its best. Executive Chef Kevin Barron is a wonderful asset to the success of the Ole Sereni!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
I thank you for taking time to give us your positive review.

I will surely pass your sentiments to Kevin. He takes a lot of pride in what we offer and it is our constant endeavour to refine our culinary offerings.

We look forwar to welcoming you back.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

We landed at Nairobi Airport in the pouring rain on the evening of Friday 7th Feb and were taken by our tour guide to the Ole-Sereni for our first night in Kenya, before we set off on a long safari the following day. The Ole-Sereni was absolutely lovely - the staff very gracious, the room not huge but very beautiful and comfortable. The next morning the sun was shining and we had breakfast on the terrace, which is bordered by a reflecting pool and looks out over Nairobi National Park. What a perfect start to our Kenyan holiday.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you for taking time to give us your positive feedback.

We are very pleased to know that your starting point in Kenya was a memorable one.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I have travelled several times to Nairobi in the past and now have found a prefered hotel to fit my needs. I do not need extensive luxury in my room to spoil me in the evenings, I will settle for a clean, comfortable room, but will not compromise on good service, food and exercise facility. If it comes with a view on a game reserve, I will count my blessings. The Ole-Sereni provided exactly that.

The gym, together with the spa, are located in an adjacent, modern building. Without doubt the best combination I have experienced in my travels. Brimming with modern equipment, it was well designed with excellent staff in attendance. Food standard was high in the bar/ light meal section and with my choices providing plenty substance, I was never tempted to upgrade to the dining room.

My room was on the smaller side, with a shower and no bath. I suspect larger rooms will be available at a higher cost. The only negative point was that each passage was well guarded by lock controlled doors, nothing wrong with that, unless it gets bumped in a noisy fashion by trolleys or luggage. Despite me being a deep sleeper, I was woken a couple of times late at night. Wireless quality was poor in my room, requiring me to work downstairs in the public areas.

Considering all aspects, I will certainly look forward to my next stay at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
I sincerely thank you for taking time to give us your review.

I am very pleased to learn that your stay was up-to your expectations.