“Great location, watch the charges” 3 of 5 stars

Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mombasa Road, Nairobi 00500, Kenya   |
Ranked #22 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“Great location, watch the charges”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

If you need a hotel that is close to airport, serves excellent food, and you want a view over the national Park, then this is the place for you. The hotel is on the expensive side for Nairobi Hotels, but it has been built to high standards. What can let it down is the level of service, and the price of breakfast, and other services.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

We do apologise for the service delays you experienced and we are addressin this concern right away.

We request you to reconsider our services during your future stays as it will be assured of superior levels.

490 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I learned about the hotel from friends in the US that stayed there during their honeymoon. From an architectural design perspective, I was impressed since I was born in Kenya and have been to several hotels there, I liked how this was modern with African elements and using green design as compared to other luxury hotels I've been to.

I'd booked a room for my 10th wedding annivery but cancelled via email way ahead in order to avoid getting charged. I still got charged 4 days before I was due to check in. I emailed the Reservation Officer who forwarded my request to someone else to handle it. I received an email saying that the charges would be reverted back. But they never did!

I called the hotel and spoke to 1 person who said they'd verify my information after I'd forwarded them previous email correspondence. She promised to call me back in 5 minutes, I didn't here from her. After 20 minutes, I called back and was told this person had left for the day. Then I explained my situation to another person, she said they had the emails but they needed to wait until the original manager came back to work. By then I had a family medical emergency and needed a room for my father before he could be checked into Aga Khan hospistal to see a specialist. I was told by the reservation manager on duty that I'd preferred to use the payment for a room at the hotel since they'd already charged me. She (Catherine) explained to me that the original charge was only a hold. I told her that that's not the case because my bank distingueshes holds and charges differently, however I'd wait and see after my father's stay to make sure that it was adjusted correctly.

Once my father checked out, I was billed AGAIN. I've sent emails requesting my bill to be corrected and I haven't heard from anyone. I've delt with 6 people about this issue and even had to show up in person to deal with it. It would be nice to have someone actually follow through and do something right. I've seen similar complaints about double billing, I would hope the hotel has someone that verifies entries and ensures good customer service.

Room Tip: You either get the highway under construction or the view to the park.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

My profound apologies on the billing error you faced.

I have taken stock of your cocerns with my team and my apologies once agaon in the delayed reponse on the refund.

I understand that the refund has been made yesterday (6th Jan).

I sincerely hope you will reconsider our services in future.

We look forward tow elcoming you back.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

While visiting Kenya for a family wedding in December ‘13, I decided to stay at Ole Sereni because of location. Set on the edge of Nairobi National Park, this hotel really gives you the feeling like you’re not in Nairobi, yet a short drive takes you into the city centre.

Facilities are great including a pool, gym, lounge bar, several dining options, business centre and free Wi-Fi throughout the complex.

The room was clean and very well presented with views overlooking the National Park.

Staff were polite and service was impressive, as expected from a hotel of this calibre.

Transfers via the hotel's shuttle service to Nairobi Airport was only 10mins meaning we had enough time to enjoy a perfectly cooked steak and a bottle of red wine...

Will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Nairobi

Room Tip: Book a National Park facing room... Views are amazing...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking time to give us your positive review.

We are pleased that you found our services upto mark.

We look forward to welcoming you back and wish you a Brilliant 2014.
New Castle, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

After a day of travelling it was nice to come to the Ole-Sereni upon arriving in Kenya. The hotel is close to the airport with a very attentive staff. The rooms are nicely appointed with roomy bathrooms. Not a great view from the room, however the view from the bar terrace was great. The hotel is adjacent to a game park, so you'll never know what animal surprises you may see.

The restaurant has a great menu selection and is very good service. Fee Wi-Fi, too (an added benefit). I would definitely stay here again at my next visit.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
I sincerely thank you for your positive feedback.

I am pleased to learn that your stay was a pleasant one.

Lilongwe
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed here the night of December 17th with my wife and 3-year old son. We had a good room, good service, and decent food. It was easy to get to from the airport and the construction noise wasn't an issue. In general we had a good experience here.

But, when I checked my credit card bill a few days later, I noticed that we had been billed for our room twice. Basically, the pre-authorization done at check-in had been charged to my credit card as well as the final bill upon check-out. I have been trying to get this charge reversed unsuccessfully for the last five days. The hotel was initially responsive saying they would look into the matter but did not provide any additional information or respond to a follow up email and so I had to call them. Right now, I have been told by the hotel that maybe this issue will be resolved by the end of the week.

So, what might have been a 3 or 4 star review has been reduced to one star due to this double-billing issue. I will revise my review a bit if the issue is resolved but I view this is a significant failing of the hotel - to incorrectly overcharge their clients, and would recommend anyone who doesn't want this to happen to avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for park side.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

I fully agree with your frustration on the double charge on your credit card and we have taken this issue up very sharply with our bank and await their revert.

Please allow us to respond as we want this inconvenience to be resolved.

We thank you for your patience.
Aalsmeer
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

On tuesday's and Saturday's they have a special price in the restaurant on the 4th floor which is highly recommendable.
The manager also provides with a nice gathering every week or so including drinks and a bite for guests to enjoy and get to know each other.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view on the park are nice, but with the restaurant/ bar open 24/7 it is recommended not...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your positive review.

We are pleased to hear that your stay was pleasant.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

This hotel is in a great location, right next to the national park. The rooms are basic, but clean and without problems.

The restaurants serve good food and it's not too expensive.

The only real gripe is with the reception staff who really don't seem to know what they're doing. Both checking in and checking out were painful experiences, with "computer problems" blamed on both occasions. I had to leave without my bill as they were unable to resolve in time and had to call "IT" - who never came.

This hotel could be so much better if the right calibre of people were employed - or appropriate training given to existing staff

All around the hotel was building works, so very noisy and dusty when I stayed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

My profound apologies on the inconvenience you faced at the Reception.

I have taken this matter up with the department and we assure you superior level of services during your future visits.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi? Share your experiences!