“Highly Recommend - Fantastic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mombasa Road, Nairobi 00500, Kenya   |
Ranked #23 of 103 Hotels in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“Highly Recommend - Fantastic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

While visiting Kenya for a family wedding in December ‘13, I decided to stay at Ole Sereni because of location. Set on the edge of Nairobi National Park, this hotel really gives you the feeling like you’re not in Nairobi, yet a short drive takes you into the city centre.

Facilities are great including a pool, gym, lounge bar, several dining options, business centre and free Wi-Fi throughout the complex.

The room was clean and very well presented with views overlooking the National Park.

Staff were polite and service was impressive, as expected from a hotel of this calibre.

Transfers via the hotel's shuttle service to Nairobi Airport was only 10mins meaning we had enough time to enjoy a perfectly cooked steak and a bottle of red wine...

Will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Nairobi

Room Tip: Book a National Park facing room... Views are amazing...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for taking time to give us your positive review.

We are pleased that you found our services upto mark.

We look forward to welcoming you back and wish you a Brilliant 2014.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
New Castle, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

After a day of travelling it was nice to come to the Ole-Sereni upon arriving in Kenya. The hotel is close to the airport with a very attentive staff. The rooms are nicely appointed with roomy bathrooms. Not a great view from the room, however the view from the bar terrace was great. The hotel is adjacent to a game park, so you'll never know what animal surprises you may see.

The restaurant has a great menu selection and is very good service. Fee Wi-Fi, too (an added benefit). I would definitely stay here again at my next visit.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
I sincerely thank you for your positive feedback.

I am pleased to learn that your stay was a pleasant one.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Lilongwe
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed here the night of December 17th with my wife and 3-year old son. We had a good room, good service, and decent food. It was easy to get to from the airport and the construction noise wasn't an issue. In general we had a good experience here.

But, when I checked my credit card bill a few days later, I noticed that we had been billed for our room twice. Basically, the pre-authorization done at check-in had been charged to my credit card as well as the final bill upon check-out. I have been trying to get this charge reversed unsuccessfully for the last five days. The hotel was initially responsive saying they would look into the matter but did not provide any additional information or respond to a follow up email and so I had to call them. Right now, I have been told by the hotel that maybe this issue will be resolved by the end of the week.

So, what might have been a 3 or 4 star review has been reduced to one star due to this double-billing issue. I will revise my review a bit if the issue is resolved but I view this is a significant failing of the hotel - to incorrectly overcharge their clients, and would recommend anyone who doesn't want this to happen to avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for park side.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

I fully agree with your frustration on the double charge on your credit card and we have taken this issue up very sharply with our bank and await their revert.

Please allow us to respond as we want this inconvenience to be resolved.

We thank you for your patience.
Aalsmeer
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

On tuesday's and Saturday's they have a special price in the restaurant on the 4th floor which is highly recommendable.
The manager also provides with a nice gathering every week or so including drinks and a bite for guests to enjoy and get to know each other.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view on the park are nice, but with the restaurant/ bar open 24/7 it is recommended not...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your positive review.

We are pleased to hear that your stay was pleasant.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

This hotel is in a great location, right next to the national park. The rooms are basic, but clean and without problems.

The restaurants serve good food and it's not too expensive.

The only real gripe is with the reception staff who really don't seem to know what they're doing. Both checking in and checking out were painful experiences, with "computer problems" blamed on both occasions. I had to leave without my bill as they were unable to resolve in time and had to call "IT" - who never came.

This hotel could be so much better if the right calibre of people were employed - or appropriate training given to existing staff

All around the hotel was building works, so very noisy and dusty when I stayed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

My profound apologies on the inconvenience you faced at the Reception.

I have taken this matter up with the department and we assure you superior level of services during your future visits.

I look forward to welcoming you back.
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

These guys almost ruined our anniversary dinner.

Despite reserving a table for two (and a baby) earlier that afternoon i was surprised that the hotel did not book accordingly and what I had planned for my wife was not to be.

Instead i was told that i called the wrong phone line, the one i used was reserved for Gourmet Club members exclusively. i found this absurd because i spoke to a lady for almost 3 mins and she didn't mention this when i made the reservations. i was lectured that i should always get a name. I really kept my cool; didn't want to make the situation worse. I had earlier cancelled my reservation at a neighboring hotel and also wanted to avoid traffic. The hotel had also been given high marks by a friend, i had been there once before but was disappointed by the food; the chef even changed the meal after we complained.

My problems didn't start there; the parking lot was full and i was directed to a swampy area of the hotel, There were slots available that were marked reserved; i was informed that they were for management (at 8PM?) Luckily i got one after a lady pulled out.The slots were still empty when we left around 10.30 pm, looks like 'the management' didn't show up that evening.

The meals were average and we had to wait almost 10 mins to get the bill despite the fact that i sent 3 waiters for it.

We cancelled the reservation for the night. (ok we were not even booked so that can't qualify as a cancellation).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

We do sincerely apologise and would like to contact you on it.

Please allow us to touch base with you.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I had some reservations about the Ole Sereni after reading some of the reviews – I needn't have worried.
We were traveling to Kisumu and needed a place to stay in Nairobi that was convenient to the airport given the seemingly never ending traffic jams in Nairobi during peak hours. The Ole Sereni fitted the bill perfectly.
This hotel is located on the outskirts of Nairobi on the airport side yet far enough away not to be disturbed by aircraft noise. It also has the added benefit of overlooking part of the Nairobi National Park.
On arrival our check in was handled smoothly, we were given a welcome drink and in no time were shown to our room which was a welcome sight after more than 12 hours of traveling.
The room was clean, well furnished with a decent size bathroom, effective air-conditioning, a mini bar, TV, complementary water, a good selection of toiletries and reliable wifi.
Having said everything was handled smoothly at reception on check, I later discovered that our stay was on a room only basis despite having booked and paid for bed and breakfast.
I returned to reception to raise the matter and was told our booking was definitely room only. I asked them to recheck which the person did, this time with another member of staff who gave the same response. At this stage I was becoming a little frustrated and pointed out that I had been traveling for more than 12 hours, was tired and could do without the bewilderment of the reception staff particularly as I was able to show them a printed copy of my reservation which clearly showed bed and breakfast. To my astonishment a 3rd member of staff had now become involved who after some head scratching accepted that our reservation included breakfast.
I specifically asked that my details be amended and that a note be made on the system/message book to ensure no embarrassment was caused on check out the following day. Imagine then my surprise when I was given a bill for the breakfast we had just enjoyed!
Once again a lengthy debate ensued and the now expected referral (passing the buck) up the chain of command followed before I became annoyed and pointed out that I had gone through the whole process the night before and had been assured that their error had been corrected. I also pointed out that I had a plane to catch and should I miss it through their incompetence I would book an alternative flight at their expense. This seemed to do the trick.
Breakfast itself was superb with a huge choice of cereal, pastries, juices, eggs, omelets, fruits and even an Indian section. Although beware of the lattes and cappuccinos offered by the staff – they are classed as extras!
One other word of caution, we were allocated a room at the front of the hotel and noticed that construction work started around 7am. When I investigated further I found out that the authorities were building a new road and junction system which will literally come within feet of the boundary fence when complete. His will inevitably bring with it massive noise and dust/fume problems especially as the road is being designed with the main intention of diverting lorries and buses etc away from the main road into Nairobi. Work should be completed within 12 months but I would check before booking and always request rooms on the Park (rear) side of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for rooms overlooking Nairobi National Park.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to give us your constructive feedback.

I do sincerely apologise for the hassle you underwent on Breakfast being included in your room rate.

I have taken up this matter very sharply with our Front Desk and we assure you that your future visits will be a superior experience on every level.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi? Share your experiences!