“convenient hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 92 hotels in Nairobi
Aalsmeer
“convenient hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

On tuesday's and Saturday's they have a special price in the restaurant on the 4th floor which is highly recommendable.
The manager also provides with a nice gathering every week or so including drinks and a bite for guests to enjoy and get to know each other.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view on the park are nice, but with the restaurant/ bar open 24/7 it is recommended not...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your positive review.

We are pleased to hear that your stay was pleasant.

456 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

This hotel is in a great location, right next to the national park. The rooms are basic, but clean and without problems.

The restaurants serve good food and it's not too expensive.

The only real gripe is with the reception staff who really don't seem to know what they're doing. Both checking in and checking out were painful experiences, with "computer problems" blamed on both occasions. I had to leave without my bill as they were unable to resolve in time and had to call "IT" - who never came.

This hotel could be so much better if the right calibre of people were employed - or appropriate training given to existing staff

All around the hotel was building works, so very noisy and dusty when I stayed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

My profound apologies on the inconvenience you faced at the Reception.

I have taken this matter up with the department and we assure you superior level of services during your future visits.

I look forward to welcoming you back.
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

These guys almost ruined our anniversary dinner.

Despite reserving a table for two (and a baby) earlier that afternoon i was surprised that the hotel did not book accordingly and what I had planned for my wife was not to be.

Instead i was told that i called the wrong phone line, the one i used was reserved for Gourmet Club members exclusively. i found this absurd because i spoke to a lady for almost 3 mins and she didn't mention this when i made the reservations. i was lectured that i should always get a name. I really kept my cool; didn't want to make the situation worse. I had earlier cancelled my reservation at a neighboring hotel and also wanted to avoid traffic. The hotel had also been given high marks by a friend, i had been there once before but was disappointed by the food; the chef even changed the meal after we complained.

My problems didn't start there; the parking lot was full and i was directed to a swampy area of the hotel, There were slots available that were marked reserved; i was informed that they were for management (at 8PM?) Luckily i got one after a lady pulled out.The slots were still empty when we left around 10.30 pm, looks like 'the management' didn't show up that evening.

The meals were average and we had to wait almost 10 mins to get the bill despite the fact that i sent 3 waiters for it.

We cancelled the reservation for the night. (ok we were not even booked so that can't qualify as a cancellation).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

We do sincerely apologise and would like to contact you on it.

Please allow us to touch base with you.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I had some reservations about the Ole Sereni after reading some of the reviews – I needn't have worried.
We were traveling to Kisumu and needed a place to stay in Nairobi that was convenient to the airport given the seemingly never ending traffic jams in Nairobi during peak hours. The Ole Sereni fitted the bill perfectly.
This hotel is located on the outskirts of Nairobi on the airport side yet far enough away not to be disturbed by aircraft noise. It also has the added benefit of overlooking part of the Nairobi National Park.
On arrival our check in was handled smoothly, we were given a welcome drink and in no time were shown to our room which was a welcome sight after more than 12 hours of traveling.
The room was clean, well furnished with a decent size bathroom, effective air-conditioning, a mini bar, TV, complementary water, a good selection of toiletries and reliable wifi.
Having said everything was handled smoothly at reception on check, I later discovered that our stay was on a room only basis despite having booked and paid for bed and breakfast.
I returned to reception to raise the matter and was told our booking was definitely room only. I asked them to recheck which the person did, this time with another member of staff who gave the same response. At this stage I was becoming a little frustrated and pointed out that I had been traveling for more than 12 hours, was tired and could do without the bewilderment of the reception staff particularly as I was able to show them a printed copy of my reservation which clearly showed bed and breakfast. To my astonishment a 3rd member of staff had now become involved who after some head scratching accepted that our reservation included breakfast.
I specifically asked that my details be amended and that a note be made on the system/message book to ensure no embarrassment was caused on check out the following day. Imagine then my surprise when I was given a bill for the breakfast we had just enjoyed!
Once again a lengthy debate ensued and the now expected referral (passing the buck) up the chain of command followed before I became annoyed and pointed out that I had gone through the whole process the night before and had been assured that their error had been corrected. I also pointed out that I had a plane to catch and should I miss it through their incompetence I would book an alternative flight at their expense. This seemed to do the trick.
Breakfast itself was superb with a huge choice of cereal, pastries, juices, eggs, omelets, fruits and even an Indian section. Although beware of the lattes and cappuccinos offered by the staff – they are classed as extras!
One other word of caution, we were allocated a room at the front of the hotel and noticed that construction work started around 7am. When I investigated further I found out that the authorities were building a new road and junction system which will literally come within feet of the boundary fence when complete. His will inevitably bring with it massive noise and dust/fume problems especially as the road is being designed with the main intention of diverting lorries and buses etc away from the main road into Nairobi. Work should be completed within 12 months but I would check before booking and always request rooms on the Park (rear) side of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for rooms overlooking Nairobi National Park.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to give us your constructive feedback.

I do sincerely apologise for the hassle you underwent on Breakfast being included in your room rate.

I have taken up this matter very sharply with our Front Desk and we assure you that your future visits will be a superior experience on every level.

I look forward to welcoming you back.
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

My travel agent booked this hotel for me for an overnight stay before flying out the next day to the Maasai Mara. The hotel was designated as “Medium Class” on my travel documents, so imagine my surprise upon entering this elegant, Western-style hotel close to both the international airport (Jomo Kenyatta) and the local airport (Wilson Aerodrome)! Beautiful reception area—including a “welcome drink”—with attentive and friendly staff; and, a world-class dining room featuring all types of food (European, Indian, American, etc.) to satisfy every taste. Service was not great, but all the staff in the dining room was friendly and I always got what I wanted eventually. My room was spacious and comfortable enough for one person and tastefully decorated and I even had a nice sunset view—though it overlooked the rabid construction in the area). Overall satisfied with my stay and I would return there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
I thank you for taking time to give us your positive review.

I am very pleased to learn that your short stay was a pleasant one.

We however do apologise on the service delays you faced and we are addressing it right away.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very clean in comparison to other hotels in the area and it is very secure. The Resturant and bar staff are so friendly but at times the service is slow but nothing major. Some of The reception staff seem stressed all the time and not very friendly. With that's said it is a very nice hotel not one of the best but very good considering the local area

• Stayed November 2013
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
I thank you for taking time to give us your reviews.

Thank you pointing out the service delays which we will address right away.

I look forward to having you with us soon.
The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

The Ole Sereni is a nice hotel close to the airport and located on the edge of the Nairobi NP. We used this hotel to spend our last night in Kenya and eave to the airport early morning for our flight back home. For that purpose this hotel is great.

They have a couple of good restaurants that aren't too expensive. The food taste very good.
The rooms are not big but hey, you only come there to sleep. It is decorated very nice and the room is nice and clean.

Since we left the hotel before breakfast we ordered our breakfast on the room (with no extra costs). They were nice on time with the breakfast and the taste was also good.
Check in and check out went very smoothly.

Overall this is a nice (transfer) hotel and perfect for your first and/or last night of your holiday or to use as a business hotel.

Chantal & Remi

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I sincerely thank you for taking time to give us your positive feedback.

I am very pleased to learn that your stay was pleasant.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi? Share your experiences!