“Great place to stay for first night in Kenya” 5 of 5 stars

Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mombasa Road, Nairobi 00500, Kenya   |
Ranked #23 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
Lower Gwynedd, Pennsylvania
“Great place to stay for first night in Kenya”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Thank you to the entire staff - from security - to bell staff - to check in - to the breakfast staff - everything was fabulous. Our room was clean and comfortable and a welcome after long flights. Look forward to returning in 10 days and then for our final day. Thank you for making us feel safe and at home.

Room Tip: we faced the reserve on the 2nd floor and the room was absolutely fine!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
I thank you for taking time to give us your positive review.

I am very pleased that your stay was pleasant.

We look forward to welcoming you back home.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Nairobi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The hotel is quite nice and conveniently located near the airport. On the downside, the rooms don't offer all amenities that you would expect like toothpaste and toothbrush. And more importantly, after checking into the hotel; a day later I was stopped by a security guard asking me harshly where I thought I was going and when I explained I was staying there, I was given a blank stare. Then later on that night I got a call from reception saying I needed to identify myself. I took a few minutes in my room to cool down then went to reception and within a minute the person there managed to find a copy of my booking and all over sudden the mood changed.I don't know if this happened because I am Kenyan and maybe they thought only 'Mzungus' can afford to stay there or just mere negligence.Either way, never again. Adios Ole-Sereni!

Room Tip: If you are African, prepare to be accosted as you board the lift to your room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your reviews.

I am very shocked by your comments and do sincerely apologise for your experience.

May i please suggest that you give us an opporunity to discuss this over a call or if you could come over to Ole-Sereni.

I would really appreciate if you could revert with your contact details and we will take it up from there.

I look forward to your response.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stayed here for one night on our way home (after 2 weeks safari in Kenya and Tanzania) - our TA booked a "standard" room which we did not really look into in any detail. The room was extremely small and overlooked a road construction project but this this was more our fault than the hotel's as we did not check in advance the difference between various rooms - all other hotels/lodges/camps which our TA booked were in the super deluxe category so we did not even bother to double check this booking.

Overall the hotel was great - the common areas seem to be of a higher standard than the actual rooms. The staff were generally very professional - of particular note, we dined at the hotel's fine dining restaurant, Eagles. I must say - the service and food were totally world class - I highly recommend this restaurant. Unfortunately we were both so tied we could not do justice to the superb meal .

The location suited us perfectly - near Wilson and JNB airport. The concierge was also most helpful in tracking down our pre-booked driver and taking care of our luggage. The (included in our rate) breakfast buffet was also very good.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a room facing the national park and not the road construction project. Standard r...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to give us your positive review.

I am very pleased to learn that you found the Eagles experience upto your stisfaction.

Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

...problems with the bills as in being charged for the evening meal despite having booked inclusively and also trying to get three separate bills with a group of diners. That took half an hour!
Otherwise, it's a very nice place to stay away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
The rooms were well appointed with working air-con, the food was good and there's a pleasant pool to cool off in. Staff are helpful and polite. The place is clean and tidy, beautifully decorated too.
Breakfast is served very early though some staff told us it didn't begin until somehwere around 6am.
Advise you take local currency as they round up if you pay in US $.
There's a gift shop with a wide selection of tat.
The hotel scores with its views over parkland where animals and birds can be spotted.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park otherwise you will overlook a building site as a new road is under co...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

Our sincere apologies on the delay you faced in getting your bills sorted. We will address this concern right away.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I must say the location is fantastic,..first time round we had buffet sunday lunch ,while enjoying the beautiful view of the park which was beautiful.To my surprise after paying my bill in cash i was not given back my change.i inquired from the waiter who was serving us WHAT HAPPENED TO MY CHANGE .To be replied that the hotel does not give back change in coin.I just could not believe this.The manager was advised of my fury and also comfirmed NO CHANGE IN COINS.He was going to complementary us with a cup of tee.My second time round was in August for massage and lunch.the same thing happened again NO CHANGE IN COINS.I was going to give a tip or even leave the change,I JUST COULD NOT BELIEVE IT WAS HAPPENING TO US FOR THE SECOND TIME, Please do not come with search an excuse in a 5star hotel.i have been to many hotels in the world. This is my first time to hear that a hotel does to give change in coins.I would kindly want to know if this is the hotel policy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
I thank you for takign time to give us your feedback.

Allow me to apologise for the NO CHAGE given back to you. I am sure it was a one off situation which we are addressing right away. Under no circumstances is the waiter allowed NOT to give out what is owed to the guest after the bill is settled.

I will personally take up this issue and ensure it is not repeated gping forward.

May I request you to reconsider our services during your future travels to Nairobi and I look forward to welcoming you back.
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I have now stayed there twice for business and can highly recommend this hotel.
The staff, although slow at times, are extremely helpful and friendly.
The location is of course amazing as right next to the national park so if you are lucky you can spot wild animals from your room or restaurant terrace.
The gym has the latest equipment and the spa offers a great selection of treatments.
It is also quite close to the airport which is convenient for my type of business activities. The shop has a wide selection of gifts but the prices are on the high side. The food is also excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to give us your positive review.

I am very pleased to know that your stay was a pleasant one apart from Slow Service which we are addressing right away.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed for 1 night, with meetings at the airport, the perfect location, and you avoid the manic traffic in and out of the city.
Room very pleasant, if a little small, and always good to have free wifi.
Buffet dinner very good and plenty of choice.
Only moan would be the tardy check in/check out.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

I am pleased to learn that your stay was pleasant apart from the slow process at the reception.

We will address this concern right away.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi? Share your experiences!