“great stopover” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 134 Hotels in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“great stopover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Booked a one night stay for a stopover en route to the Mara for a safari. Arranged a hotel car to meet us at the airport $30 USD for 2 passengers. We were met with a nameboard on arrival and taken to the hotel which took about 15 minutes at approx 10.00pm.

Checkin was painfully slow but this was apologised for... no real reason though as we were the only people checking in.

Room was ok, clean and spacious. Bed was like concrete though!!! Probably the hardest bed I've ever slept on.

Breakfast next morning in the Big 5 restaurant was great, fresh, appetising, prompt service and friendly waiters. We departed with a hotel car to Wilson airport which had been prebooked and was prompt and efficient, again $30USD.

Room Tip: away from elevators. Overlooking game park (though I'd be surprised if you see anything) and o...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

I have taken note of your concern on the bed mattress and the slow check-in process. we will address it right away.

We hope you will consider our services during your future travels to Nairobi.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I've been here for over a week and love it. The staff here is very nice and accommodating. I love the opportunity to wake up and view the African wildlife from my room. I would recommend a stay here to anyone.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
I sincerely appreciate you taking time to give us your positive feedback.

We wish you a continued memorable stay.
Reno NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We kicked off our African honeymoon here and really liked it. It was close to the airport -- convenient since we arrived in from the US late. Nice rooms, modern and tasteful. Stable wifi and very friendly and helpful concierge. The highlight for us was breakfast. It was probably the best breakfast we had in Africa. Lots of choices: omelet/ egg station, health foods and cereal, charcuterie, pastries, fruit, fruit juices and great coffee. Service is slow at the restaurant but that's normal in Africa. We had a park view room; it was a lovely view but we didn't see any animals.

Room Tip: Get a park view room. You may not see animals but it's still a prettier view than the other si...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to give us your positive review.

I am very pleased to know that we added an extra charm to your Honeymoon.

Wish you pleasant and memorable travels through Africa.
Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Very nice hotel, located close to the airport and the Kenya national park, where you can see animals roaming around.

You may never see the animals as its a large expanse of land, but its a quiet serene area.

The hotel food is very good, they serve food 24hrs and have a good transport service to and from the airport. The hotel service fairly good.

• Stayed July 2013
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your positive feedback.

I am pleased to learn that your stay was a pleasant one and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel provides a lot of security on the outside with checks on vehicles including mirrors as well as a scanner at the door for guests. This is a comfortable and welcoming site to see when there is complications in the area; for example "when I was there, we had threats on the area from a terrorist group. The hotel provided extra security including guards and dogs walking the complex.

Th rooms are fine and decorated in your Kenyan colours and decorations. Beds are a little hard but air conditioning works well.

Gym has been increased and now built under the pool area, brilliant gym compared to what it was like before. There is also now steam and saunas which is a great pleasure to see.

Food is always wonderful, however be careful with the salad and buffets as a few of my colleagues have been affected by the fish. I suppose it depends on your stomachs; I have had fish and chips, burger, meat, stews, pizzas and more from the numerous times I have been there and have always been fine. Food is excellent priced as well as drinks. Please take note service time is very slow to sometimes waiting up to 80 minutes for food.

You can book trips with the hotel, orphanage, elephants, giraffes, safaris and much more.

Your friendliness of the staff can sometimes be like gambling, majority are incredibly welcoming and others are rude and think they are something special.

PRE WARNING WITH ROOMS AND SECURITY

Please take note a lot of guests have complained of theft, to even which I have had staff asking to lend a charger for my iphone to charge one they have FOUND! Also asking how to switch the phone on, this is not encouraging. If you are there for a few days put your sign on the door and just ask for clean towels if needed, never leave valuables out and use safe. Better to be safe and sorry as the hotel will most likely not help you. The service rating I have provided reflects the negative experiences I have received a few times as well as the few facts I placed up in this review.

This might contradict what I have said on this review I do and I don't recommend, if you follow these steps, I do, if you don't and can't accept some cultures being different then I don't. I have left happier on more occasions than I have leaving disappointed if that helps.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your sincere and constructive feedback.

I am pleased to learn that you have noticed the upgrades Ole-Sereni is offering compared to your last visit.

I can assure you that we place security on top of our list and will constantly ensure we strengthen it.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

This was our first hotel for our trip to Africa. The hotel was quick and easy to get to after a long flight. Very nice lobby and lounge. Rooms was clean with a balcony offering a nice view into the adjacent park. Excellent breakfast as well

• Stayed July 2013
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

Happy to see a positive start to your African experience.

We hope you will consider our services in future as well.
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is only 10-20mins away by taxi from the international airport. The rooms are clean and comfortable; I got a park view room on both occasions I stayed there last week. The hotel borders the Nairobi National Park, so it is possible to see large game from your room or from the balconies of the 2 onsite restaurants. Food and drink were nice and reasonably priced.

I think the airport transfer pricing policy needs to be reviewed; this should be charged per car and not per person, please.

Otherwise a good recommendation for a first night or two after a long haul flight.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

I am glad to know that your stay was a pleasant one.

We look forward to welcoming you back.