“Very nice!!” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mombasa Road, Nairobi 00500, Kenya   |
Ranked #22 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
“Very nice!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I've been here for over a week and love it. The staff here is very nice and accommodating. I love the opportunity to wake up and view the African wildlife from my room. I would recommend a stay here to anyone.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
I sincerely appreciate you taking time to give us your positive feedback.

We wish you a continued memorable stay.

514 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Reno NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We kicked off our African honeymoon here and really liked it. It was close to the airport -- convenient since we arrived in from the US late. Nice rooms, modern and tasteful. Stable wifi and very friendly and helpful concierge. The highlight for us was breakfast. It was probably the best breakfast we had in Africa. Lots of choices: omelet/ egg station, health foods and cereal, charcuterie, pastries, fruit, fruit juices and great coffee. Service is slow at the restaurant but that's normal in Africa. We had a park view room; it was a lovely view but we didn't see any animals.

Room Tip: Get a park view room. You may not see animals but it's still a prettier view than the other si...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to give us your positive review.

I am very pleased to know that we added an extra charm to your Honeymoon.

Wish you pleasant and memorable travels through Africa.
Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Very nice hotel, located close to the airport and the Kenya national park, where you can see animals roaming around.

You may never see the animals as its a large expanse of land, but its a quiet serene area.

The hotel food is very good, they serve food 24hrs and have a good transport service to and from the airport. The hotel service fairly good.

• Stayed July 2013
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your positive feedback.

I am pleased to learn that your stay was a pleasant one and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel provides a lot of security on the outside with checks on vehicles including mirrors as well as a scanner at the door for guests. This is a comfortable and welcoming site to see when there is complications in the area; for example "when I was there, we had threats on the area from a terrorist group. The hotel provided extra security including guards and dogs walking the complex.

Th rooms are fine and decorated in your Kenyan colours and decorations. Beds are a little hard but air conditioning works well.

Gym has been increased and now built under the pool area, brilliant gym compared to what it was like before. There is also now steam and saunas which is a great pleasure to see.

Food is always wonderful, however be careful with the salad and buffets as a few of my colleagues have been affected by the fish. I suppose it depends on your stomachs; I have had fish and chips, burger, meat, stews, pizzas and more from the numerous times I have been there and have always been fine. Food is excellent priced as well as drinks. Please take note service time is very slow to sometimes waiting up to 80 minutes for food.

You can book trips with the hotel, orphanage, elephants, giraffes, safaris and much more.

Your friendliness of the staff can sometimes be like gambling, majority are incredibly welcoming and others are rude and think they are something special.

PRE WARNING WITH ROOMS AND SECURITY

Please take note a lot of guests have complained of theft, to even which I have had staff asking to lend a charger for my iphone to charge one they have FOUND! Also asking how to switch the phone on, this is not encouraging. If you are there for a few days put your sign on the door and just ask for clean towels if needed, never leave valuables out and use safe. Better to be safe and sorry as the hotel will most likely not help you. The service rating I have provided reflects the negative experiences I have received a few times as well as the few facts I placed up in this review.

This might contradict what I have said on this review I do and I don't recommend, if you follow these steps, I do, if you don't and can't accept some cultures being different then I don't. I have left happier on more occasions than I have leaving disappointed if that helps.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your sincere and constructive feedback.

I am pleased to learn that you have noticed the upgrades Ole-Sereni is offering compared to your last visit.

I can assure you that we place security on top of our list and will constantly ensure we strengthen it.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

This was our first hotel for our trip to Africa. The hotel was quick and easy to get to after a long flight. Very nice lobby and lounge. Rooms was clean with a balcony offering a nice view into the adjacent park. Excellent breakfast as well

• Stayed July 2013
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

Happy to see a positive start to your African experience.

We hope you will consider our services in future as well.
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is only 10-20mins away by taxi from the international airport. The rooms are clean and comfortable; I got a park view room on both occasions I stayed there last week. The hotel borders the Nairobi National Park, so it is possible to see large game from your room or from the balconies of the 2 onsite restaurants. Food and drink were nice and reasonably priced.

I think the airport transfer pricing policy needs to be reviewed; this should be charged per car and not per person, please.

Otherwise a good recommendation for a first night or two after a long haul flight.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

I am glad to know that your stay was a pleasant one.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Jerzykowo, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This hotel is not Not Relaxing or particularly pleasant by any Hotel standards. Whether staying on holiday or business there are some key and very basic factors that let the hotel down, to save a long description they are listed below:
Noisy main Air Conditioning fans right over the pool area
Incessant "house" music by the pool.. a bit crass when overlooking the serenity of a National park!
Outside catering area for "Special Nights" located right under first floor rooms, so clattering with tables and set up during the afternoon, clattering of diners, shouts and laughters all evening, then clattering and shouting of staff clearing away at 02:30
Early morning 06:30 hotel staff making incredible noise dragging breakfast tables and gas heaters into position for breakfast time.
Doors to the rooms are not sound proof so during your "relaxing" day you will be constantly listening to the vacuum cleaner of the people servicing the rooms and the clattering and banging of the cleaning trolley...very noisy.
Gymasium charges hotel guests for use of the steam room after using the Gym- no notice posted of this and then they ask for 20 USD !
At the bottom of the stairs of the fire exit it is stacked with chairs and...yes, a propane gas cylinder!!
The Big Five restuarant is understaffed, you will always have to flag some one down to get a Tea or Coffee with the breakfast...and ...the T-pot dribbles, this annoys me more than anything :-)
The menus are big pieces of cardboard handed to you, old, grubby,dirty and sticky..puts you off your food and not hygienic.
The "Show and Cook" open kitchen is okay but what you get is the horrendous noise and view of the staff washing dishes and cutlery which is directly open to the dining area... not my idea of "Style" and pleasant dining ...
Food is not particularly imaginative or particularly tasty from the menu in the main restaurant. Generally lacklustre service in the restaurant and has a "rushed & unclean" feel, just doesn't feel professional.
Rooms are okay if you overlook the park and not the road construction side, my bathroom extract fan didn't switch off, very noisy,- safe didn't work, shower is weak- you have to lean back to get it to spray on your head, beds are very hard-buts that's a preference I suppose- but a good hotel would provide a medium bed to more satisfy everyone.
There are power lines marring the view to the game park, not the hotels fault but people should be aware of what they will actually get to see.

The hotel has a few plus sides, good breakfast, well equipped gym (but with terrible music), close to the airport and close to the industrial factories for work. Staff are all friendly enough but just don't seem to be keen and on the ball.

A place you would be happy to stay for a night or two on holiday just passing through so you wouldn't notice the shortcomings. Good management could make the place better, spark up the staff, improve responsiveness and cleanliness in the restaurant, pay attention to noise pollution from cleaners, staff, hotel processes and especially unnecessary and bad music .....right next to a game park...maybe that's why the animals don't come near ?????

I travel and work from hotels all the time, I believe this to be an accurate review- I do not pay for my visits to hotels so I am not biased by being "out of pocket" or "ripped off"- I like purely to reflect the reality in comparison to what is "Sold" in the advertising. Everyone has different likes and dislikes and can make their own choices. This is what I think.

Room Tip: Choose a higher level to escape the outside restaurant noise, choose a room in the middle of the cor...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to give us your constructive and unbaised feedback.

I regret to learn that your stay was unpleasant on many counts.

I am sure we could have addressed these issues there there if they were notified during your stay.

However, we will address your concerns in the most strict mannner and hope you will condier Ole-Sereni during your future travels.

Been to Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi? Share your experiences!