“Nice start to our African adventure trip!” 4 of 5 stars

Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mombasa Road, Nairobi 00500, Kenya   |
Ranked #22 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
Reno, Nevada
“Nice start to our African adventure trip!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

This was our first hotel for our trip to Africa. The hotel was quick and easy to get to after a long flight. Very nice lobby and lounge. Rooms was clean with a balcony offering a nice view into the adjacent park. Excellent breakfast as well

• Stayed July 2013
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

Happy to see a positive start to your African experience.

We hope you will consider our services in future as well.

512 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is only 10-20mins away by taxi from the international airport. The rooms are clean and comfortable; I got a park view room on both occasions I stayed there last week. The hotel borders the Nairobi National Park, so it is possible to see large game from your room or from the balconies of the 2 onsite restaurants. Food and drink were nice and reasonably priced.

I think the airport transfer pricing policy needs to be reviewed; this should be charged per car and not per person, please.

Otherwise a good recommendation for a first night or two after a long haul flight.

Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

I am glad to know that your stay was a pleasant one.

Jerzykowo, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This hotel is not Not Relaxing or particularly pleasant by any Hotel standards. Whether staying on holiday or business there are some key and very basic factors that let the hotel down, to save a long description they are listed below:
Noisy main Air Conditioning fans right over the pool area
Incessant "house" music by the pool.. a bit crass when overlooking the serenity of a National park!
Outside catering area for "Special Nights" located right under first floor rooms, so clattering with tables and set up during the afternoon, clattering of diners, shouts and laughters all evening, then clattering and shouting of staff clearing away at 02:30
Early morning 06:30 hotel staff making incredible noise dragging breakfast tables and gas heaters into position for breakfast time.
Doors to the rooms are not sound proof so during your "relaxing" day you will be constantly listening to the vacuum cleaner of the people servicing the rooms and the clattering and banging of the cleaning trolley...very noisy.
Gymasium charges hotel guests for use of the steam room after using the Gym- no notice posted of this and then they ask for 20 USD !
At the bottom of the stairs of the fire exit it is stacked with chairs and...yes, a propane gas cylinder!!
The Big Five restuarant is understaffed, you will always have to flag some one down to get a Tea or Coffee with the breakfast...and ...the T-pot dribbles, this annoys me more than anything :-)
The menus are big pieces of cardboard handed to you, old, grubby,dirty and sticky..puts you off your food and not hygienic.
The "Show and Cook" open kitchen is okay but what you get is the horrendous noise and view of the staff washing dishes and cutlery which is directly open to the dining area... not my idea of "Style" and pleasant dining ...
Food is not particularly imaginative or particularly tasty from the menu in the main restaurant. Generally lacklustre service in the restaurant and has a "rushed & unclean" feel, just doesn't feel professional.
Rooms are okay if you overlook the park and not the road construction side, my bathroom extract fan didn't switch off, very noisy,- safe didn't work, shower is weak- you have to lean back to get it to spray on your head, beds are very hard-buts that's a preference I suppose- but a good hotel would provide a medium bed to more satisfy everyone.
There are power lines marring the view to the game park, not the hotels fault but people should be aware of what they will actually get to see.

The hotel has a few plus sides, good breakfast, well equipped gym (but with terrible music), close to the airport and close to the industrial factories for work. Staff are all friendly enough but just don't seem to be keen and on the ball.

A place you would be happy to stay for a night or two on holiday just passing through so you wouldn't notice the shortcomings. Good management could make the place better, spark up the staff, improve responsiveness and cleanliness in the restaurant, pay attention to noise pollution from cleaners, staff, hotel processes and especially unnecessary and bad music .....right next to a game park...maybe that's why the animals don't come near ?????

I travel and work from hotels all the time, I believe this to be an accurate review- I do not pay for my visits to hotels so I am not biased by being "out of pocket" or "ripped off"- I like purely to reflect the reality in comparison to what is "Sold" in the advertising. Everyone has different likes and dislikes and can make their own choices. This is what I think.

Room Tip: Choose a higher level to escape the outside restaurant noise, choose a room in the middle of the cor...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to give us your constructive and unbaised feedback.

I regret to learn that your stay was unpleasant on many counts.

I am sure we could have addressed these issues there there if they were notified during your stay.

However, we will address your concerns in the most strict mannner and hope you will condier Ole-Sereni during your future travels.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We only stayed overnight before flying on but I have to say the hotel was excellent. Our room overlooked the national park although we didnt see any animals. The atmosphere was similar to other big hotel chains I have stayed in and the staff were very friendly. the restaurant offered a good, varied choice of food and the chocolate on the pillow at night was a welcome touch. the only negative point relates to the somewhat slippery floor in the room onto which a mat had been placed either side of our beds. This resulted in my slipping up although no harm was done. However it could have resulted in a nasty accident. Despite this I would stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for a park view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
I thank you for taking time to give us your positive feedback.

I am truly pleased that your stay was a pleasant one.

We do apologise on the slippery floor issue which is being sorted right away.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We only stayed in this hotel as a dayroom prior to flying back home after 10 day safari so I cannot speak for how it is for a night but the rooms were pleasant and the hotel restaurant and bar and gift shop were awesome and staff very friendly. My only complaint was that when they walked us to our room with luggage we noticed the air conditioning was not working and right then we told them but in the 6 hours we stayed there no one came to fix it.
The hotel is only 15 minutes from the airport so it is a good location for quick access.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

I am pleased that your stay was pleasant apart from the aircon being non-functional.

We sincerely apologise on the poor response time which is unacceptable.

I have taken this up with the concerned team memeebr we will ensure timely response.

Grantham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Have loved every minute of my stay at the Ole Sereni, the rooms are clean and spacious, the food is fresh and delicious and the staff are friendly and helpful. The big five restaurant overlooks the national park so there's the occasional wild animal traipsing past. The gym is filled with state of the art equipment and I have been nothing but amazed with the service I have received. Many thanks to Shadrak and his team for their hospitality.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
I sincerely thank you for sharing your positive comments.

It is truly overwhelming to learn that we exceeded your expectations.

Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I have ben staing at the Ole Sereni on and off for just over a year. I am hot and cold but would ultimately rate this hotel higher than the Intercontinental and the Hilton. Dependeing on where your business takes you, the location is great. 15 minutes from the airport and close to the main commercial and industrial parks. this means you miss the aweful traffic into the city centre.

Located across from the Nairobi national park, the view is serene, and on occasionally you get to see animals, albeit at a distance. I like the rooms, which are comfortable, tiled as opposed to carpeted which is always a good thing for me. (I hate dingy hotel carpets.)

I have had good food and bad food. (My beef fillet last night was definately beef, and definately not fillet.)

Overall the service is poor. We waited over an hour for our food order last night, and at breakfast it takes a lifetime to clear used tables. This hotel needs improved staff supervision. Management need to gt out of their hiding places and get things moving, and improve the general discipline. If they did this they could move this hotel from okay to superb

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to give us your constructive feedback which I sincerely appreciate.

I have taken stock of your concerns on delayed serviced delivery in the restaurant.

We will take this up with the highest priority and I can assure you that your future visits will experience enhanced service levels.

We look forwar to having you with us.

Been to Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi? Share your experiences!