“It's Okay....” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 126 Hotels in Nairobi
Johannesburg, South Africa
“It's Okay....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I have ben staing at the Ole Sereni on and off for just over a year. I am hot and cold but would ultimately rate this hotel higher than the Intercontinental and the Hilton. Dependeing on where your business takes you, the location is great. 15 minutes from the airport and close to the main commercial and industrial parks. this means you miss the aweful traffic into the city centre.

Located across from the Nairobi national park, the view is serene, and on occasionally you get to see animals, albeit at a distance. I like the rooms, which are comfortable, tiled as opposed to carpeted which is always a good thing for me. (I hate dingy hotel carpets.)

I have had good food and bad food. (My beef fillet last night was definately beef, and definately not fillet.)

Overall the service is poor. We waited over an hour for our food order last night, and at breakfast it takes a lifetime to clear used tables. This hotel needs improved staff supervision. Management need to gt out of their hiding places and get things moving, and improve the general discipline. If they did this they could move this hotel from okay to superb

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your constructive feedback which I sincerely appreciate.

I have taken stock of your concerns on delayed serviced delivery in the restaurant.

We will take this up with the highest priority and I can assure you that your future visits will experience enhanced service levels.

We look forwar to having you with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

It has a very beautiful scenery looking at the the Nairobi national park. Lovely place for an evening drink or dinner. It gets a bit chilly in the evening but they light up some gas fires that keep you warm. The lighting is also superb for a romantic dinner though they pride themselves as more of a business hotel

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your dining experience.

I am pleased to lean that we added delight to your experience.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at Ole serini for a day on June 8 2013. We arrived fairly early and the staff were kind enough to let us check in at 10 AM and since we had booked a room with the a garden view, we requested if we could get a room with the national park view. The staff checked and informed us that they might be able to arrange one for us. By noon they changed us to the room with the national park view and the views were breathtaking,,,,,Normally these rooms are at a premium but they gave offered it to us at the normal rate.

The staff were extremely friendly, good restaurants with stunning views of the national park and great breakfast with an amazing spread. The only issue was the rooms were slightly smaller in area but who cares when you have the best view of Nairobi national park that no other hotel in Nairobi can offer. The hotel touches the boundary of the park

Room Tip: Room with the national park view.....
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I sincerely thank you for sharing your positive experience.

Its truly a treat to hear from a satisfied guest.

I am glad to got to exprience the serene view of the National Park.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We've stayed here twice now. It is clean, comfortable, food is excellent and it overlooks the game park. It is quite expensive but seems to be in keeping with Nairobi prices.
For a bit extra you can have a room overlooking the game park.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to give us your positive feedback.

We look forward to having you with us soon.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night, in June, en route to the Masai Mara. I had booked well in advance (February) yet when we arrived after a long flight from Edinburgh to Heathrow to Nairobi, we were told that there was no record of our booking. I had booked online and also spoken to reception staff, on the phone and also via email, on several occasions, after booking the room. All seemed to be ok as they acknowledged my booking at the time. Luckily, I had brought the email confirmation and trail of the conversations I had had with reception. Fortunately, there were rooms available, but I was not best pleased with the attitude, which was less than helpful, or apologetic, under the circumstances.

The room was nice enough, so no complaints there. The buffet breakfast was included in the price and was extensive and tasty.

On checking out, I requested the use of a day room on our return the following week. Again,this had already been requested and confirmed at the time of making the original booking, so again, no record. However, after some time of staff conversations, they finally agreed to book me a room until 6pm. We were to be picked up for the airport transfer at 8pm, so that seemed not too bad for us.

On the return to the hotel, after our wonderful safari, we had to wait for 15 minutes whilst the 1 person on reception took care of a group of business men, who were clearly having issue with their check out. It seemed they had all been charged different rates for identical bookings! Eventually, someone came from the back office to attend to us, but with no sense of urgency or apology for keeping us waiting. We got our room sorted then took our bags up (no offer to help us, but as we were travelling light, not a problem, just poor service).

On checking out, it seemed to take a long time to complete paperwork...inefficient.

We also made use of the Business Area to print out our boarding passes. The printer failed after the first 2 were done, for no apparent reason. The message on the printer console was requesting a password to continue, yet no request for the initial successful prints. No staff around to attend to this, so I went back later in the hope that the problem had been resolved. 2 staff there in the room on my return, the printer still beeping and flashing, but neither had attended to the issue. I pointed out that I had tried to print but the error had appeared. One of the staff had a look at the printer, pressed a few buttons, opened and closed the paper trays, but to no avail. Eventually, she asked me to try again, then entered a password when it was requested. My boarding passes then appeared. Poor service from unwilling staff with no real clue. Disappointing.

On the flip side, the restaurant and bar staff were attentive, smiley and helpful. Likewise the concierge desk staff, who we had nice welcomes from and who helped us with bags and helped us into our taxi for the transfer to the airport. Not all bad then!

Handy for the airport, but some serious staff training and organisation is required. Not really value for money when the reception staff can't give the hotel a good first impression for travellers. They let themselves down, so I can't really recommend this hotel unless it's necessary to stay close to the airport. Just be sure to have printouts of any emails or booking confirmations with you for backup should their system not have your booking registered!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor were handy for getting to and from reception, dining room and other facility...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to give us your constructive feedback.

Our sincerest of apologies on the consistent delays you have faced at the Front Desk. Surely your reservation should have been active upon your arrival without you presenting the relevant evidence for it.

I have taken up your stay feedback with the Team and we are revisiting the entire check-in process to close any loop holes.

May I request you to reconsider our services during your future travels as you will experience a far superior service delivery.

I look forward to having you with us.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Overall, this was a great stay and a great hotel. I think for the price of the room, breakfast should be included or at the very least discounted. The breakfast buffet was $35 a person in addition to the $280 a night. This is expensive for Nairobi even though it sits on a "National Park". The food and the staff were AWESOME and extremely accommodating and willing to please. The rooms are nice but the beds were a bit hard for my liking. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone that stays in the Nairobi area. Matter of fact, I plan on staying here again during my follow up visit to Kenya.

I saw several posting about bad service in the bar/dining area. Unfortunately depending on who the server was, I did experience slow service, but I did observer the waiter being pulled in multiple directions, however Martha and Rickson were AWESOME and made dining there a pleasure. GIVE THEM A RAISE!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking time to give us your positive feedback.

I am very pleased to learn that your stay was a pleasant one apart from slow service.

We are addressing this concern by consistent On Job Training program.

I can assure that your future experinces will be even more positive.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Make sure you get a room towards the game park otherwise make sure you have earplugs! Traffic in Nairobi is a nightmare so the hotel is in a good location as you do not have to travel too far even though a hotel transfer of 20.- usd is in my opinion overpriced.

• Stayed June 2013
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi? Share your experiences!