“Awesome view but terrible service” 3 of 5 stars

Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mombasa Road, Nairobi 00500, Kenya   |
Ranked #22 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
nairobi
“Awesome view but terrible service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

We went there for drinks in the evening and to enjoy the sunset overlooking the Nairobi national park. Entrance is through the hotel on the first floor. We waited near the door that goes to the open terrace to be seated at a table outside. The view from that terrace is amazing. If you're lucky, you get to see some animals in the distance in the national park. Its a great place to see the sunset in Nairobi. So we waited and waited with tables empty but nobody came to ask if we wanted a table until finally one of us went and said please arrange a table for so many people (we were about 10). The waitress said okay in a very subtle tone and hurriedly put one together. Got a good view right near the edge of the park. So we ordered and had our drinks, etc..saw the beautiful sunset. Bill came we paid and got the receipt and change back. We always cross check the bills there for obvious reasons. So the change was short. When asked, the waitress said 'oh we don't have that change'. We spoke to the managing guy there and said its not like we would have minded but its courtesy to tell customers such things. Not everybody checks their change always. Even then, not a single apology from them! I'm not sure whether its a racist issue or what! I just did not have a pleasant experience with the service there.

• Stayed January 2013
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
I Thank You for taking time to give us your reviews.

I would like to sincerely apologise on the service lapse you experienced. Ole-Sereni surely does not stand for this level of customer care.

May I request that you allow us another opportunity to make up on the error.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

495 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Great view in a busy city next to wildlife park. Hotel staff accommodated change of plans to extend a day of travel. Transportation provided around the city, for a fee. Buffet good but pricy. Get rooms facing the park. Animals not plentiful because of the proximity to the city, but few hotels in a city have impala, giraffes, ostriches grazing outside. A good place to stay in a busy, congested city.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
I sincerely Thank You for taking time to give us your feedback.

I am very pleased to know that your stay was a pleasant one.

We look forward to having you with us soon.
Bromham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

we've used this hotel a few times now as either a first stop before going on safari or at the end of our trip. The hotel provides a perfect place to relax, lounge by the pool and still watch wildlife wander past as it is located right next to the Nairobi National Park.

Food is very good - breakfasts in particular are great.

Rooms,whilst not huge, are very good and nothing is too much trouble for the attentive staff. Be sure to ask for a room on the park side though, the other side faces a onto a busy road.....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim,

Thank you for taking time to give us your positive review.

I am very pleased to learn that your stay was a pleasant one.

We look forward to having you with us soon.
Kampala, Uganda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I use the Ole Sereni frequently for business. During my last visit we saw an amazing sight thanks to Shadrack Wawire! He called us (my wife and I) at 7 a.m. to tell us to look out the window. We opened the curtain and there was an amazing gathering of giraffes, zebra, ostriches and antelopes at the water hole! It was a great visit.

Other than that, the service and staff are great! Very friendly staff and a great breakfast. Try the braised lamb shank when you're there!

PS: Unfortunately all I had was my cell phone for a photo but if you zoom in you'll see some of the water hole "customers"!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Mr. James,

I thank you sincerely for taking time to give us your positive feedback.

It's our Team's constant endeavour to ensure that every guest of ours enjoys the finest of service levels ad I am glad that Shadrack ensured it is delivered.

We will surely share your sentiments with Shadrack and thank you for acknowledging his efforts.

I look forward to welcoming you back.
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here for one night at the start of our trip and for us, the hotel was superb. We flew into Nairobi in the evening, and the hotel was a perfect stopping off point for the evening. Outside of the city proper and close the airport, sits on the border of the Nairobi National Park.

We were greeted at the door by efficient porters and handed a glass of fresh mango juice in reception while our check-in was being sorted.

Rooms were large and well-decorated and equipped, and ours at least was very clean.

Breakfast was a large buffet with a chef cooking certain items fresh on demand. Also, considering many reviews say there are no animals by the hotel, we were lucky enough to see giraffe and impala grazing nearby whilst we ate our breakfast, so I think it just depends on your luck!

Overall, a good choice for us.

• Stayed February 2013
I thank you for taking time to give us your poitie feedback.

I am truly pleased to learn that your experience overall was a pleasant one.

Thank you for clearing the air on sighting of animals in the Park. Its not consistent but a matter of sheer luck andI am glad you got the opportunity to spot them.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for two days for business. The location is perfect to enjoy the peaceful atmosphere of africa even if you stay only a few days in kenya. the hotel is facing the Nairobi national park and very near from the airport.
The rooms were clean and confortable. The restaurant offers a wide variety of tasty and fresh food. I would recommend this hotel. If you have a bit of time, I also recommend a game drive in the park.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view on the park.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
I sincerely Thank You for taking time to give us your positive feedback.

I am indeed pleased to learn that your stay was pleasant and we will surely share your sentiments with the Team.

We hope you will reconsider Ole-Sereni during your future travels to Nairobi.
Portsmouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I had no expections and was therefore really delighted with every aspect of this hotel. My only slight negative was that the mattress was incredibly hard but I still slept ok. The staff were fantastic and the food was delicious and there was a really good selection.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Ms. Rachel,

Thank you for taking time to give us your positive comments.

I am truly delighted to learn that your stay was a pleasant one except for the hard mattresses.

Please allow us to lok into it right away.

I thank you again for sharing your views and look forward to weloming you back.

Been to Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi? Share your experiences!