“Close to airport, but several flaws” 3 of 5 stars

Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mombasa Road, Nairobi 00500, Kenya   |
Ranked #22 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Dallas, Texas
“Close to airport, but several flaws”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Close to the airport with clean rooms yet a few flaws. The check in takes forever, BOTH times that we checked in, even if there is only one person in front of you or the first time we were the only persons checking in after flying for two days! I was served a glass of juice in a broken glass, etc. simple things that need correcting / attention. Stayed here twice once upon arrival to Kenya and right before departure. The first time we were on the 1st floor and the internet worked in our room, the second time on the 3rd floor and it did not work in our room. We went downstairs for a snack one night and signed for the coffee and cake although the waitress could not explain the bill, once back in the room and undressed ready for bed due to an early flight they called and said you can not bill anything to your room from the restaurant so my husband had to get dressed and go back downstairs and pay for the snack. I mentioned this when we checked out and was told that was not correct we could have billed the charge to the room and that they made a mistake. Our wake up call was 15 minutes late and our breakfast we ordered the night before was about 15 minutes late, was not hot and missing some of the order. The first time we stayed there we had breakfast downstairs and it was good, the staff was nice but there were just too many little things that need attention. It is very well located and would stay there again as so easy to get to and from the airport but this time will set my own alarm!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us yor comments.

I would like to sincerely apologise on the series of inconveniences you and your husband had faced. I can assure you that Ole-Sereni stands for far superior standards which obviously we failed to deliver.

I would request you to reconsider our services based on my personal assurance in delivering the finest of service levels.

Once again, i thank you for sharing your views and we look forward to welcoming you back.

494 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This hotel was converted from a warehouse to be the interim US Embassy after the original was attacked & the new one was under construction. Then the hotel converted it into Ole-Sereni. Convenient location to airport in order to avoid traffic all the way to downtown. One side of hotel faces "game park" - not much to see there but ostrich. Pool is nice, and the bar/restaurant facing onto the game park is nice with added touch of reflecting water feature. Food isn't great but service is with a smile. Rooms are pretty small and average.

Room Tip: facing the game park.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your positive comments.

Its unfortunate that you were not able to see much game in the park.

We hope you will choose us in your future travels as well and we look forward to be of service to you.
Centurion, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Location is a major factor when choosing a hotel in Nairobi. Bad traffic makes staying near wherever one needs to visit very important. So on a recent overnight there, between a late-evening international arrival and an early-morning domestic flight, I thought I’d give the Ole-Sereni a try. It’s near to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (about 5 km), in a great location (on the edge of the Nairobi game park), and impressive-looking (apparently, a conversion of the building used for a while by the American Embassy, although one would never guess from its appearance these days).

Unfortunately, what looks like a five-star hotel offers only average facilities and inadequate service. I checked in just after a tour group, and found no porter available to help with my luggage. (To his credit, the reception clerk saw me struggling with my bags in the tiny elevator/lift and came to assist.) When I got to my room I found that the air conditioning didn’t work. The porter who finally arrived agreed that it was broken. But when I phoned the duty manager, she kept trying to teach me (and the porter) how to use the remote control rather than offering another room. By the time I convinced them to move me, my short night was an hour shorter. The room was OK, nicely furnished but small. The bed was comfortable.

The hotel’s public areas feel like a big lounge – well furnished but crowded (when I arrived) and impersonal. The dining room food was only adequate. The view of the game park from the hotel patio was interesting, but I doubt that people ever see much game so close to the city fence.

On my next overnight turnaround I will try a different hotel near the airport. Otherwise, Nairobi offers much better choices in other parts of the city.

Room Tip: If you choose to pay and extra USD 20 for a room on the park side, stay away from the lower numbered...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Mr. Phil,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments

I regret to learn that your stay experience was not upto to your expectations and for that I apologise.

I have taken stock of the concerns you have highlighted and we assure that your future visits will experience a superior product.

Once again, i thank you for sharing your views and we hope you will give us an opportunity to serve you in future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We were booked into Ole-Serni for only one night, and for such a short stay, we unfortunately had a disapointing experience. Firstly, our transfer did not show up at the airport after having phoned the day before to book and confirm the transfer. However, a kind man lent me his phone and the transfer came to pick us up after we spoke with them. Luckily, the hotel is very close to the airport and we waited only 45 minutes. The driver then told us that he never recieved the booking, leaving us unsure of what had caused the confusion.

Once we arrived we spoke with the reception regarding the half day safari we had book via email weeks prior to our arrival. They appeared to know very little about the safari or our booking. Becasue it was very late, they advised us to visit the travel desk in the morning, insuring us the safari car would leave between 6.30 and 7.30. We woke very early to have breakfast and be ready by 6.30am, only to arrive at the travel desk and be told to wait. After over 2 hours waiting, and many attempts to find out what the trouble was, we were FINALLY met by the manager. The manager explained to us that the booking was not confirmed and the safari car was not coming. They promptly organised another car and we were told to meet the car at 9am. We were pleased that they so happily organised another safari for us, however, we were most upset that we were not advised of what was happening earlier! We could have waited in our room,very tired after traveling from Zanzibar, rather than in the foyer for over 2 hours. The manager was lovely and very apologetic and offered us a free transfer back to the airport that afternoon and a free lunch. Although, I would have preferred a discount on the safari which was the hefty price of US$150 for 2-3 hours.

The room itself was very overpriced. For US$250 I would have expected more. The hotels websitedoes not accurately reflect the rooms.

I would be hesitant to stay again.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the park facing room. For an extra $50 it is just not worth it. You look at po...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Sir / Madam,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments.

My sincerest of apologies on the series of inconveniences you had faced during your stay.

Ole-Sereni surely does not stand for these level of services as we are commited towards the comfort and convenience of our guests.

I have taken stock of the concerns you have raised and assure you that we are doing all it takes to ensure these errors do not rise in future.

Once agin, my apologies on the inconvniences you had faced and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed here for one night on and it was a wonderful place for a first-time visit to Kenya and stopover before flying out to the Maasai Mara. In terms of facilities, the rooms were spacious, comfortable, clean and well-appointed with a few nice touches (like chocolates, I didn't know people still did this?). The outdoor dining area and pool are beautiful as well and I had a fantastic meal there on the evening I stayed (great food and a lovely peaceful atmosphere).

Waking up on my first morning, I had an amazing view out on to the National Park. I wasn't expecting to see wildlife here (although there were a few animals walking around in the distance) but I think it's more the peaceful, quiet and serene atmosphere that being on the edge of the park provides that is the real highlight.

The best part for me was the wonderful staff who were some of the friendliest people I've ever encountered in a hotel anywhere. There was an issue with my room booking (at the fault of my agent), which meant they had to clean and prepare another room while I waited - for me it's how people deal with these hiccups that is the main thing, and the staff were so helpful, polite and went out of their way to make me feel welcome despite the wait for my room.

At the time I travelled to Nairobi there had been a security alert about an expected bomb threat, which made me a little anxious to say the least, but arriving at Ole Sereni I could see we were in good hands as it was gated and security staff were checking all vehicles entering the grounds - immediately putting my mind at ease.

I would highly recommend this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again if (or when, hopefully) I return to Kenya one day.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Ms. Nats,

I sincerely thank you for taking time to give us your positive comments.

It is truly overwhelming to to hear from a satisfied guet and we will surely share your sentiments across with the team.

I believe you had a pleasant vacation in Masai Mara and Ole-Sereni was able to add more value to that experience.

Once again, I appreciate you for sharing your views and we look forward to wlecoming you back whenever you are in this part of the world.
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

If you want peace and tranquility then book yourself there. I liked the gym and Albert is just excellent. The hotel even organized a game drive for me for free. if next time I am coming to Nairobi, that is where I am going to stay.

Room Tip: choose the room facing the game reserve. You will think you are in the middle of wilderness whilst y...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Mr. Vinod,

Thank you for taking time to give us your positive comments.

I am glad to know that your appreciate our Health Club services and especially of Albert. The Game Drive was our token of appreciation for choosing Ole-Sereni.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Pilar, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Will be staying here regularly through work and a welcome change to the apartments normally used.
Great outside seating to have a cold beer at end of the day and very tasty snacks. Rooms are great and serve there purpose.

• Stayed January 2013
Mr. Mark,

Thank you for taking time to give us your comments.

I am glad to hear that you found Ole-Sereni a refreshing change and its our constant endeavour that every stay of yours is a pleasant one.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi? Share your experiences!