“Close to airport, beautiful view, slow service” 4 of 5 stars

Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mombasa Road, Nairobi 00500, Kenya   |
Ranked #22 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Amstelveen, The Netherlands
“Close to airport, beautiful view, slow service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Stayed here in October 2012. Hotel is located close to the airport, so you avoid the terrible Nairobi traffic on your way in. Means that for traveling into the city you have to have a lot of patience. Traffic jams can be enormous. Hotel is nice, former US Embassy. Right next to the Nairobi National Park. Woke up with views of grazing antelopes and beautiful birds. Food in the restaurant is okay, but nothing special. Service, both in restaurant and bar, can be very slow. But hey, you've got a great view to kill time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback which will go a long way in improving our service levels.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Ole-Sereni.

493 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Oxford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I arrived at this hotel, with a group of friends, late at night after a delayed flight from England, only to be told that they had sold our rooms that had been pre booked. They clearly had an arrangement with a nearby hotel that they moved us to, but when you arrive late at night and tired it is definitely not what you want to do. We had chosen this hotel as it is close to the airport and saved us going into the centre of Nairobi after a late flight, in future we will be going back to the hotel we have used before and always had impeccable service. The manager even stood in the hall as we loaded our luggage back into the taxis without so much as uttering any apology at all.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ms. Jane,

Thank you for taking time to log your feedback.

May I profoundly apologise for the series of inconveniences you had faced during your experience with Ole-Sereni. We surely do not stand for it but obviously we failed to deliver our promise to you.

May I please request you to reconsider your decision on not choosing us. You have my personal assurance that your future travels will have my personal assurance on a far superior experience.

I really hope you will offer us this rare opportunity to make up for the recent experience.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Ole-Sereni.
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed here for one night - and were treated superbly by the reception team and restaurant team.
The rooms were not big but comfortable and more than adequate, though we would prefer to have a bit more privacy with the tolilet in the bathroom

The food in the restaurant was superb and breakfast was excellent

The views from the bar on the verandah on the first floor was fantastic, and it was a bonus to sit and watch sunset while sipping a tusker beer

The only fault I could find was the verandah bar staff were not as helpful as the rest of the team - they were a bit arrogant and slow, acting as though they were doing us a favour

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mr. Mike,

Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

I am thrilled to know you had a pleasant experince with us apart from the slow service in our Waterhole Bar.

I assure you that your future visits will witness a superior service levels.

Once again, thank you for choosing Ole-Sereni and i look forward to welcoming you back.
Neptune Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I book a room there because was close to the airport, coming back from a safari it is good to know that you don't have to go for a long drive againg the next day. We got upgrated because we where on our honeymoon trip, we needed an iron it was at our room in minutes and also a jacket that need to have clean we got it in two hours, dinner was good and we needed to leaved for the airport at 6:30 am , we had our breakfast and they made sure a taxi was at the hotel on time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ms. Patricia,

Thank you so much for logging your feedback.

I am thrilled to know you had a pleasant stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I recently stayed at the Ole Sereni for four nights while in Nairobi on business. It’s fairly close to the airport and next to a game park, but entirely self-contained; there’s nothing else in the immediate vicinity. As others have noted, the rooms, while not spacious, are equipped with all the amenities. Those on the game park side have much the better view, although animals were not often in evidence during my stay. Breakfast buffet was better than average but some items on offer one day were not there the next. The verandah, accessible from both the restaurant and the bar, is a big plus in terms of leisurely dining or hanging out. On the minus side, the business center was way below par for a luxury hotel – often there was no one in charge, and even simple tasks like printing and copying were frustratingly difficult. The front desk staff generally seemed able to handle normal routine but was flummoxed by anything out of the ordinary, while the restaurant service ranged from adequate to slow. Given the prices it charges, the hotel could do a better job overall.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor on the game park side.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Mr. Marty,

Thank you for taking time to log your feedback.

I have taken stock of your findings especially in regards to the Business Centre and the Reception and I aplogise for the inconveniences. We will ensure these lapses do not occur in future.

I sincerely hope you will consider our services in your future travels to Nairobi.

Once again, I thank you for your inputs and look forward to welcoming you back.
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I cannot express my dissatisfaction STRONGLY enough with the Ole-Sereni Hotel.

I was one of a party of six who had flown from London to arrive after midnight in Nairobi just over a week ago, to be picked up at the airport by Ole-Sereni as arranged, only to arrive at the hotel at 12.30, tired and travel weary, to be told they did not have our rooms - they had SOLD them on!!!!.

We had all the booking confirmation emails with us, they had our credit card as security and nothing - they didn't give a toss. We asked for the duty manager and to say he didn't care about leaving six tourists high and dry in Nairobi after midnight is an understatement!! he even stood in the lobby and watched us leave without as much as an apology.

One of the ladies at reception arranged rooms for us at a nearby hotel but we were not permitted to leave and go to this hotel until she had taken a copy of our passports and took payment (again) for the second hotel, plus the cost of collecting us from the airport, and plus the cost of the cars to take us there. It was quite clear to us that this was a standing arrangement with the second hotel and we were not the only tourists to be treated in this way - and there were two more groups of international travellers at the counter getting the same appalling treatment.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ms. Michelle,

Thank you for taking time to log your feedback.

May I profoundly apologise for the series of grave inconveniences you faced during your recent experience. A standard hotel surely stands for far superior levels of service and obviously we failed to make our mark.

I thoroughly understand your aggravation as you deserve far superior level of care and service levels.

I can assure you that I have taken stock of your inputs with the concerned Dep't heads and we have addressed it with outmost priority.

Should you ever happen to visit this part of the world in future, may I please request you to reconsider our services as you will have my singular attention towards it.

Once again, thank you for your inputs and hope to welcome you back.
Hallevik, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The room was great but relatively small. It was however nice decorated and it had all essential things that you could need, inclusive AC.
The food in the outside bar was very nice and tasty but the service was very slow. I had to ask quite a few times before I could order and it took at least thirty minutes before the food, I only ordered toasts, to come.
The breakfast was lovely and tasty.
If you have an early flight, choose this hotel, it only takes you 15 minutes to the airport.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi? Share your experiences!