“Good security” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 130 Hotels in Nairobi
Nairobi, Kenya
“Good security”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I have been in this hotel twice, the first time was a Marketers Night event and yesterday I was attending Pivoteast event. One thing that I like about Ole Sereni is their security & safety measures; When the event started we were taken through a safety drill.
Then I left behind my bag that had my stuff as we left for lunch, security team collected all paraphernalia left on seats and kept them safe - some people had actually abandoned their laptops. I found my bag safe at the security desk and was very pleased........I can't forget to mention that the meal was very delicious. Keep up!

Mkulima

Room Tip: ideal for meeting outside town and have ample space
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Stayed at this hotel recently as a day room prior to a late evening flight out of Nairobi. The positive was that it was close to the airport. The size of the room was nice (and I was told I was upgraded to a deluxe??). The bed, although good in size, was hard as a board. The shower and toilet area are within the same area, so it is not possible to take a shower without getting water all over the floor in the toilet area. The towels (photo attached) were worse that I use for bathing my dogs at home. I was tempted to put them in the waste basket.

I ate an early dinner in the restaurant. Although the portions are generous (overly so), the prices are extremely high. But the worst part was, it took 55 minutes from the time we ordered our food until it arrived and the restaurant was not that crowded (it was a Sunday). We tried to catch the waiter's attention to inquire when the food might be coming, but he never looked our way. After he brought the food, he never once came back to ask if we needed anything or how the food was. I had had enough and just wanted the bill to pay. I finally had to go and get him from the opposite end. I have never had such poor service at any hotel I have ever been to.

I could have just as easily gotten a hotel room in downtown Nairobi for a lower price and just spent a little longer time traveling to the airport. I think I would have been less frustrated. Never again would I stay at this place!

Room Tip: The only good room would be a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

We stayed here for one night at the beginning of our trip.The hotel was very convenient as we arrived late,and left after lunch the next day, it is close to the airport.Our room had a small internal balcony area with an opening door, overlooking the park.The room was quiet and clean, the food was good. The management was helpful, on request our check out time was extended to after we had lunch.Free wifi in the lobby.
An ideal short stopover.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Wichita Falls, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I have stayed at the Ole four times. I like it because of the proximity to the airport. Nairobi is expensive period---but I request a rate directly with the hotel and since all my stays have been weekend, I always get it for under $200 double occupancy. Good for Nairobi. The hotel is nice. The rooms are great. Park rooms offer a great view of the vast expanse. City view and side rooms are not view appealing. But if that does not matter,opt for one of those and save a lot. Rooms are somewhat cramped, but A/C, TV. Wifi, Hot water all good. Honor bar etc exist. The problem is that they are stingy and cheap with amenities. Cant get even a second towel with two people in the room. They are ridiculous on that score. Breakfast is totally first class however. Four star quality. Lots of choices. Surroundings etc beautiful. Service reasonable. Very good options for Nairobi if ur prepared to fight for amenities.

Room Tip: Pick park view if price is no object, if not, pick city view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Basel, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

It seems more or less ok... but....
The bed is as hard as rock, the wall seem paper thin, and my room seemed to be right next to some sort of cleaning room, where the cleaning staff congegate of a morning to talk and clatter about as loudly as possible at, say 7.30 in the morning. On Saturday. The management managed to fail to organise vehicles as required meaning we missed an activity. And how a hotel in Nairobi can serve bad mangos, bad pineapple and bad watermelon is beyond me. Apart from that, it was lovely. :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Kampala
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

A hotel at this price should provide service, which in Nairobi is not hard to find. Have these waiters had any training whatsoever? Service would make all the difference but I felt ignored.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Port Elizabeth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Stayed on business trip for a week in this hotel. I was worried when the company booked this hotel due to all the bad reviews on tripadvisor.com. Honestly I do not know what the problem is I have nothing to complain about. The walls are not any thinner than the last Hilton I stayed in. Furthermore any noise is normally fellow travellers, either enjoying themselves or having enjoyed themselves int he bar to much, the hotel cannot be held responsible for this. The only slow service was when the waiter went out of his way to find extra cold beer. Outlook of the hotel is lovley, gym superb, and the aircon works no problem (you have to close the window for the aircon to work). The hotel is not close to town centre but is close to airport.
I am not sure why there have been so many bad reviews other than a lot people are either whiners or don't realise that you need to relax a little in Africa.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business