“Not a bad option in Nairobi” 4 of 5 stars

Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mombasa Road, Nairobi 00500, Kenya   |
Ranked #23 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
Bolivia
“Not a bad option in Nairobi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

Stayed one night at this hotel on my journey to Juba. Staff is very friendly and attentive. The building is new and rooms have good light and are well preserved. Upon arrival, the reservation I made through the website of the hotel and for which I got confirmation was not registered. Fortunately the manager in charge solved the situation and offered me a better room with park view -the "better room" at least I presume was his intention. Advice: never take room 252!!. The window is just upside an outdoor kiosk of the first floor restaurant. There was a group of people drinking and laughing there until 2am, you can imagine my dissappointment! After a 26 hour journey from Bolivia through Brazil and South Africa, just wanted to get some good sleep!! Windows are not sound proof, so you end up listening even what you don't want from people talking just below your window.

Towels are a bit wornout but clean and smelling fresh. Bed was comfortable and the room was clean.

The hotel is quite close to the airport and away from downtown, making it adequate for a overnight stop. The view of the National Park is quite nice, and breakfast buffet is good enough. Considering the prices in Nairobi, is not a bad option.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms directly over the opean areas of the restaurant. If weather is good, people mig...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Nairobi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

I am a frequent traveler around Africa and usually when I visit Kenya I stay at the Intercontinental hotel, I am also a freak of good scenaries or rather views from my guest rooms, I mentioned to a colleague about this and she told me that she once stayed at ole-sereni and if I did I will love the view of the Kenya National park from the comfort of my room so I have just checked out of the hotel and true to her words the view was beautiful, I would have loved to come back but on principle I guess I will not return to this Hotel, being a people's person I engage a lot the staff who serve me in every hotel that I go to, in most of the hotels that I have stayed in staff have been very happy and if not satisfied with their pay they have always appreciated the much they get, and their leadership too, for those fellow travelers who watch CNN you might have seen the advert on bringing to a stop modern slavery! according to what I heard at ole-sereni, this is a case of modern slavery, Kenyans have been very polite and hospitable people just like where I come from in Zanzibar, but some investors who own ole-sereni seem to be taking advantage of this nature of Kenyans, All guests pay service charge, which is 10% of their bill fellow travelers if you are not aware of this check on your hotel bill, in Kenya it is 10% of the total bill, this money is equally shared among all staff who are not in management, it is considered as a tip to them, this hotel never gives all this money to the staff! what even makes it sad is that the staff know this, and have addressed this with their management with unwillingness of the management to help in this, compared to other hotel this staff told me that he communicates she communicates to staff who work else where and they receive service charge of over 25,000 Kenya shillings about 300 us dollars per month while they were only being given 10,000 Kenya shillings about 100 us dollars, dear travelers I was speaking to a very frustrated employee of this hotel but passionate about her job, that was the only thing that she said was keeping her going, though given a chance elsewhere she would run and never turn back, so my dear travelers as an effort to put to a stop modern slavery, we need to black out this hotel; as even the enormous amount of money you pay as 10% of your bill as service charge never gets to it's rightful owners but in the pockets of the owners plus plus the profits! HELP STOP MODERN SLAVERY AT OLE SERENI.

Room Tip: If the slavery is stopped, ask for a room facing the wildlife park.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Llandeilo, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We usually stay at the Serena in Nairobi but last time we had faulty airconditioning, which was not great in January and the a la carte evening meal was again below par, so wanting a quick overnight stop, minus Nairobi morning traffic, we gave this hotel a go.
We were late in from LHR due to Greek traffic control strike but check in was handled smoothly and with a smile. Travelling with my elderly parents, we had requested a twin for them and a double for ourselves, both overlooking the park. Both requests taken care of and checked on arrival. None of the problems mentioned in previous posts, although our agent did mention that perhaps the hotel sometimes favours regular guests/large conventions in favour of one off guests.
Porterage extremely good on arrival and departure.
Rooms were a good size, clean with a few nice touches. Beds are hard - we like a firm mattress but I think a few nights would have taken their toll on our backs - this needs to be addressed.
This is the old US Embassy; my only real down point would be that the doors are very heavy and noise echoes into the rooms at night. As the hotel is close to the airport, there are people checking in and out at various hours. In fact, it appeared that vacating rooms were serviced during the night (01 30 hrs +); as for about 45 mins we could here doors opening & shutting and bins being emptied etc ...However, I have to say that all staff were most concerned as to the quality of our stay and as we were questioned as to the quality of our night's sleep, we mentioned this. Consequently, the manager came to see us before we left to make a note of this issue.
Excellent breakfast.
I liked the hotel, would probably not want to stay for more than 2 nights cos of the hard beds and some noise issues but proximity to airport and quality otherwise rate this ok for a quick and convenient pre or post Kenya stay.
HB

Room Tip: Pay for room overlooking park - although far enough away from main road not to cause any problems
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011 via mobile

We used this hotel for conferencing, but also to host our large international party. The facilities were impecable, catering excellent, staff very helpful and forthcoming, the hotel tidy and nice, yet not a typical chain option. Our guests were completely satisfed and spent a great time there. Food was good, excellent buffet choice, as were freshly squeezed juices. The prices were appropriate. The location is unique: national park on one side, the key motorway on the other. City centre isn't very close and the traffic may be horrific, so it's great for the parties flying in, not as a retreat place for Nairobi folks.

• Stayed September 2011
Holland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

Spend our first night of our honeymoon in this hotel.
Its absolutely a first class hotel, clean corridors, nicely furbished bar and sitting area.
The room we had (214) was very nice aswell. It was covered from top till bottom with rose petals. Complimentary bottle of wine and a delicious chocolate cake and I almost forget the chocolate covered strawberries, absolutely wonderful.
The bed is nice and big and the shower, in the bathtub was very nice aswell.
Breakfast was plenty of choices.
We just stayed here one night but if I ever come back to Kenia this hotel is on the top of my list of places to stay at in Nairobi.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Clean, convenient location (near airport). Restaurant is OK. A little pricey for Africa. Not much to look out of the windows. Recommend if staying for overnight between the flights.

Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Great location, 10 mn from airport. Food OK, nice buffet breakfast, for Dinner a various (african) menu.
Room: Superiour room a bit small for couples, ok for singles. View though of superiour room is lousy so please order deluxe room and have national park view!
Be sure to specificically order a room ready at your preferred arrival time becasue my room was ready at 1130 PM!!! Not nice, waiting 3 1/2 hours in the Hotel after an 8 hour flight!

Room Tip: Deluxe room has national park view!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Ole - Sereni Hotel, Nairobi? Share your experiences!