“Nice place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Madrid
“Nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

This is a simple and really nice hotel to stay in Nairobi out of the chaos of the city.
It is very clean. Monica, Tomas and all the people who work there are really kind and helpful. Don't forget the great dinners. Perfect place to stay if you are planning a few days in Nairobi.
No Spa but there is a place for it close by, as well a supermarket.
I would also recommend Ben, the taxi driver that Tomas called for us. He was always on time and estimated prefectly the time needed to move in the messy traffic of Nairobi

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

Very nice place to stay. Friendly staff and excellent dood and breakfast

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

We spent several nights at Ndemi Place (using it as a base when travelling to Masai Mara and Lamu). Monica was very prompt and professional when dealing with our booking via email (and very friendly in person).
Ndemi Place is located in Kilimani, away from the busy city centre (so bear in mind taxi costs; we had access to a friend's car for the most part. Incidentally, ask for Kennedy, if you need a taxi- he's reliable and negotiates reasonable prices). It's certainly a quiet, peaceful place to stay and has lovely gardens to relax in. The en-suite rooms were regularly cleaned and well-presented (though, the only criticism is that the showers are quite weak and water temperature is temperamental).
Breakfast was great (pancakes, toast, spanish omletter, various hearbal teas etc). There's also a TV in the lounge area and a computer with internet access (Thomas was very helpful in sorting out any internet problems).
I would recommend this as a good, safe mid-range option.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

I had a most excellent stay at the Ndemi Place for 2 nights in November. Although the location is a little way out, and the water supply though constant and reliable is a little weak, the stay was most comfortable. The room is spacious and there is a nice living area to watch TV or just to chit chat with others. Breakfast is great, and the staff is excellent. Very polite and very helpful, especially Monica who manages the front desk. The owner whom I met briefly is a very nice distinguished woman. Hebie (not too sure about the spelling, sorry), the owner's son is most helpful in finding out what I was interested in and arranging my itinerary for the 2 short days I had. So even though the location is not ideal, everything was arranged and made very easy with a car to bring me around. He took me, and another traveller, out on the second day to Lake Nakuru National Park. Aside from the many wildlife which we saw freely roaming in the park, especially the flamingos, the trip was really very enjoyable as Hebie is a very personable and pleasant travelling companion, sincere to give his guests the best experience in Nairobi. We ended the day with an excellent and inexpensive somalian dinner, which only the locals will know about. The B & B is very reasonably priced and most importantly, they can help tremendously in recommending the itinerary and arrangements for your stay and nearby visits. I would recommend the Ndemi Place as a home base for your long safaris or for short stays in Nairobi.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I am a 23 year old college student, and was traveling alone through Nairobi on a mission trip. I paid $60 for a single room, but my room did have 2 beds. It was easy to do reservations by email with Monica and I paid in cash when I arrived. The taxi drivers that Monica arranged for me were great, and Thomas were very nice. The layout is very comfy to a western traveler. The room had two twin beds with mosquito nets and a bathroom
and plenty of space. The shower had two temperatures. Freezing cold
and burning hot. There was a switch on the outside that turned on the
heat and during my shower I had to run back and forth a few times to
get a medium temperature. That is something that travelers might have
trouble with. But everything was very nice and clean. It is in a
locked compound up a dirt road with a night watchman. The living room
has a tv and computer with internet and wifi. Everyone was very
pleasant and it was very quiet and peaceful, not too close to a main
road. I left for an early flight so I did not have breakfast and therefore can not comment on that. I would go back for sure.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Barrie, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

My husband and I recently spent a few days at Ndemi Place while in transit from Canada to DR Congo for a month of volunteer work. We have lived in Kenya before and travelled in Africa. We do not like big touristy hotels and prefer a more local feel. Ndemi Place fulfilled all our needs. The staff ( Monica, Thomas , Cosmos and Evans taxi ) were all very helpful and really took care of us. They were gracious and arranged a luncheon meal for us to share with some Kenyan friends . This was served out of doors and everything possible was done to make our friends feel at home .
Yes the decor is basic and the shower is the typical African electric heated stream but the hotel was clean , the beds comfortable , and the interior garden was very pleasant. We had laundry done at a very reasonable cost . The breakfasts were nicely served and hot. My only criticism would be that we would prefer the coffee to not be powdered. After all, Kenya has fabulous coffee.
The location on the Karen side of Nairobi was perfect for us because we wanted to visit people near Ngong Hills and Kikuyu hospital. The airport pickup was prompt and helpful.
If you want an American style experience in Africa, go to a big hotel in downtown Nairobi, but if you want to experience a little well kept secret, give Ndemi Place a chance. It is good value for money and you will be glad you did.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

I travel to Kenya every year for Christmas vacation. Last December I wanted a change from the top hotels. I just wanted a quiet and secluded place to enjoy my vacation. The Ndemi place provided just that - privacy, quiet and serene environment, and warm and cozy feeling. They facilitated a cellphone that made my life much easier. I met professionals from Europe, US, South Africa, Pakistan and several nationalities and they all seemed at home. I kept wondering why I'd never known of this place before. I would recommend this place to anyone that's seeking peace of mind. Plus the savings were great!
George, Texas USA

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Been to The Ndemi Place? Share your experiences!