“courteous helpful staff , quiet, good location, good value” 4 of 5 stars

The Ndemi Place
Ndemi Close, off Ndemi Road | P.O. Box 76120, Nairobi 00508, Kenya   |
Ranked #27 of 131 Hotels in Nairobi
Barrie, Ontario
“courteous helpful staff , quiet, good location, good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

My husband and I recently spent a few days at Ndemi Place while in transit from Canada to DR Congo for a month of volunteer work. We have lived in Kenya before and travelled in Africa. We do not like big touristy hotels and prefer a more local feel. Ndemi Place fulfilled all our needs. The staff ( Monica, Thomas , Cosmos and Evans taxi ) were all very helpful and really took care of us. They were gracious and arranged a luncheon meal for us to share with some Kenyan friends . This was served out of doors and everything possible was done to make our friends feel at home .
Yes the decor is basic and the shower is the typical African electric heated stream but the hotel was clean , the beds comfortable , and the interior garden was very pleasant. We had laundry done at a very reasonable cost . The breakfasts were nicely served and hot. My only criticism would be that we would prefer the coffee to not be powdered. After all, Kenya has fabulous coffee.
The location on the Karen side of Nairobi was perfect for us because we wanted to visit people near Ngong Hills and Kikuyu hospital. The airport pickup was prompt and helpful.
If you want an American style experience in Africa, go to a big hotel in downtown Nairobi, but if you want to experience a little well kept secret, give Ndemi Place a chance. It is good value for money and you will be glad you did.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

I travel to Kenya every year for Christmas vacation. Last December I wanted a change from the top hotels. I just wanted a quiet and secluded place to enjoy my vacation. The Ndemi place provided just that - privacy, quiet and serene environment, and warm and cozy feeling. They facilitated a cellphone that made my life much easier. I met professionals from Europe, US, South Africa, Pakistan and several nationalities and they all seemed at home. I kept wondering why I'd never known of this place before. I would recommend this place to anyone that's seeking peace of mind. Plus the savings were great!
George, Texas USA

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

I stayed here based on reviews from TripAdvisor - happy to report it met expectations. The staff were very friendly and made us feel at home, bring a thermos of hot water for tea to our room when we arrived at night and they noticed my cough. Breakfast was tasty and included and again the chef made us feel right at home. We had two nights then off to the Mara. Overall a great value and I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

Found this place when waiting in Nairobi for a friend to arrive. I had spent a night in The Country Lodge but needed somewhere cheaper to hold up for a few days. It is a nice quiet B&B with really friendly staff. I stayed in a single room first which wasn't amazing but was clean and did the job. Then moved in to a twin when my friend arrived which was really nice. It is in a quite area and has a big garden doesn't feel like your in Nairobi at times. There is a nice front room with an open fire giving a nice homely atmosphere. They serve a good breakfast and all in all for the price I would recommend it. If you want something up market and willing to pay a bit more go to the Fairview.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

Our first choice of hotel was full so decided to stay here based on the positive reviews. In general we were pleased with our choice, the personal touch was nice and Monica and Thomas were very helpful with directions, advice & arranging excursions. Monica could only recommend one restaurant which was within walking distance, DiVino, which was very nice but according to the guidebook there were others close by too. But she was very kind to arrange a taxi to pick us up after the meals at the restaurant.

Downside was that it was difficult to sleep, the first evening which was a Saturday, other guests came back very late and were really noisy so got woken up. When breakfast is being prepared, which is about 6am, you can hear the footsteps on the wooden floors of someone going in and out of the kitchen. Since our room was next to reception, you could hear all the conversations through the wall. If we had a different room, perhaps it would have been quieter.

The second night was even noiser, with some American guests who arrived in the middle of the night, shouting something about hot water. Another guest left at around 4.30am presumably for an early flight so was woken with all the noise of the discussion with the taxi driver, the car and the suitcase being rolled through the guest lounge. With the thought of being woken again when it was time for breakfast to be prepared we got up and left early for the airport and missed breakfast.

The breakfast was disappointing, the fruit was very nice but had some mud on the skin of the watermelon so did not want to eat it, then we were asked if we would like bacon or sausage, to which we replied bacon, but then got sausage plus 2 pieces of cold toast. It just was not a nice breakfast - based on this we decided not to have an evening meal prepared but to go out both evenings to a restaurant.

The bathroom also was a problem, since there was no power in the shower at all, it was just a trickle of water.

The gardens were lovely though and the building really nice too, Steve one of the drivers was particularly helpful and took us on all the excursions within Nairobi which was great plus to and from the airport (our arrival flight was delayed by about 2 hours but he waited there for us all that time). It was nice to come back to the guesthouse after the excursions but missed the facilities of a hotel, where you could take a drink at the bar or simply have a cup of tea in the lovely gardens, so it was boring, but then again, it is only a guesthouse.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

My first time in Kenya. Spent a few days in Nairobi before traveling to Kisumu. Then back again to Nairobi before flying back home. Stayed at Ndemi place both times I was in Nairobi.
- Monica: Reservations handled very well by Monica. I called once, then exchanged a few emails with her to get payment and airport transfer arrangements. She was very clear and prompt with her responses, and very kind and cheerful too.
- Thomas: Took care of my every need in the evening and early morning. Thomas gave me his mobile number, helped me buy a local sim card from Safaricom, and anticipated my every need. He was always there even before I needed him.
- Cosmos: He would wait on me each morning, to prepare breakfast for me and the other guests. He had a ready smile and a genuine desire to please. He also prepared dinner for me one evening. It was an excellent meal of asparagus soup and chicken curry, with fruit salad for desert. Set up by candle light. I totally enjoyed that.
- Evans - Was the taxi driver that Thomas assigned to me. His car was a 90s era Toyota. A bit old but comfortable enough and still reliable. Since this was a business trip, I had to make frequent trips into town. Evans was always available to me wherever I needed to go. With my Safaricom number, I could call him on my mobile phone each time I needed him. He knows the streets of Nairobi very well and brought me to the exact places I wanted to go. Never got lost. The fare was also very reasonable.
- My room was simple, but very comfortable. Hot shower. Comfortable bed. No TV in the room, though. Had WiFi access from my room and decent connection speed.
- The place was very quiet and felt very safe. The living room has a TV and a PC with internet connection for free use of the guests. When the place is full, the living room is a good place in the early evenings to meet the other guests and swap travel stories.
- Location: is very convenient. Very close to Adam's Arcade and Junction Mall, both of which have a Java House where you can have dinner. Junction Mall has a large Supermarket. Adam's Arcade is walking distance, but walking alone at night is not encouraged.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

Ndemi is a rare thing in Nairobi, being in tranquil and leafy Kilimani and relatively cheap, though doubles are not nearly as good value as singles or twins. The staff are discrete and very nice, especially Chef Cosmos. The WiFi is free and first rate - by far the fastest I've found in Kenya. The rooms are pleasant and clean, if a bit noisy - there is nothing but birdsong to mask the sound of heavy footsteps on gravel or floorboards.
The trouble for me is that it is very much a guest house rather than a hotel. They make no secret of that. But when you are lounging in the garden you'll probably want a G&T but you can't order one. And when you decide to head out for a drink or dinner, you'll need a taxi and maybe to track down the manager to order you one, and maybe it will take half an hour for him to find one. Maybe he'll give up. After about 9pm they lock the house doors from the inside so you'll have to rouse the manager to get back in.
In summary, it's a great place to stay if you want a haven of peace in Nairobi and you believe the Nairobbery stories of the city after dark. If you're in a hurry or you want to hit the town, you'll probably find it's not trying to compete with the hotels.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple