“Good value for money...monkeys, flowers and breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

The Ndemi Place
Ndemi Close, off Ndemi Road | P.O. Box 76120, Nairobi 00200, Kenya   |
Ranked #24 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
New York City, New York
“Good value for money...monkeys, flowers and breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

I stayed at Ndemi Guest house for two days and I found it to be a very nice place. I am a female travelling on my own and the place was really safe as well as really clean and well maintained, The staff is very helpful tehy will help you arrange transports, transfers ...etc at reasonable costs. The Hotel is really well located near a shopping centers with many fast foods all good ( Phoenician serves good wine and sushis). The hotel is equiped with wifim has warm water, a garden, a 24hrs service and is really quiet in a good area.

If you go there talk to Thomas, Jerem or Monica they are all equally nice and will assist you with a great smile.

PS : Monica was expecting a baby when I visited the place I d be happy to know whether it is a girl or a boy ...:)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Winterthur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

Stayed there on the night before and the night after a safari. A beautiful oasis in Nairobi, we very much enjoyed our stay. Checkin-in was quick and our room was spacious and clean. The staff was very helpful and airport transfer was smooth.

Wi-Fi was very slow though.

Would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Bellerose, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

We had the pleasure of staying at the Ndemi guest house for 4 nights this fall. Although rustic, we loved the beautiful wooded grounds and the warmth and hospitality of the staff, including Monica, Thomas and Cosmos. They were most helpful in planning our Kenya adventures including arranging for Lazarus to transport us to and from the airport as well as spend a full day touring Nairobi. Monica also assisted us in booking our 3 day Safari. Each morning we filled our bellies with a delicious breakfast prepared by chef Cosmos. One day we called in the afternoon to ask Cosmos to prepare dinner for us that evening. We arrived back at Ndemi in the evening to find a beautiful candlelit table awaiting us with the best meal we had eaten in Kenya. We had a wonderful time and were sad to leave our new friends, the sweet smelling blossoms and this lovely spot.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

I stayed at Ndemi Place for two weeks recently on a work trip and really enjoyed my stay. Monica, the excellent manageress, and her team made me feel very welcome.

Ndemi Place is located in Kilimani, a short taxi ride away from Yaya Centre and Nakumatt Junction, two shopping centres with a variety of restaurants. I found it a very convenient base from which to get around Nairobi.

The guest house is situated in its own compound on large grounds with lots of trees and every morning birds would be washing in the birdbath outside the breakfast room. There is a nice space outside the back where you can also sit at a table under a tree and where I would watch monkeys sneak across the walls. It's a very peaceful relaxing space in a busy city.

There are various types of rooms available with most situated in the main house. When travelling on work I was happy to stay in the main house but when I returned later with my wife, I found the rooms in the annex section preferable. Room 11 was my favourite and perhaps offers the most privacy and has satellite TV in the room. Room 10 is also a good option and is more spacious than some of the other doubles. Rooms are cleaned daily and are secure.

There is no restaurant at the guest house but chef Cosmus prepared a lovely cooked breakfast every morning with tea and fresh fruit. He can also prepare dinner in the evenings if provided with some notice. Otherwise Thomas is able to order takeaways from a nearby restaurant that provides free deliveries.

Ndemi Place provides free wireless internet at a decent speed and there is easy access to transport as Monica and Thomas can link you with Lazarus and his taxi firm. I found Lazarus and his team an excellent resource as they were reliable, punctual, safe drivers and offered good rates. They helped me get all over Nairobi as well as provided transport to and from Nakuru.

Ndemi is a lovely guest house but it was the Monica and her staff who make it particularly special.

Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Kazan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 5 nights in September. The hotel is a little bit outside of Nairobi, but quite close to the center. You just have to ask your driver what time you should go out to places, as some specific hours are horrible due to the Nairobi traffic. We got a very spacious room, the bed had a mosquito net, and the toilet was good. The only problem for me personally was that they didn't have a hairdryer and my long hair had to be wet for a couple of hours (and it was cold at night in Nairobi and early morning).
The chef Cosmos was outstanding, prepared great meals for dinner and a nice ginger tea for me when I got a sore throat. I am really grateful to him for that.
Thomas and Monica can arrange a taxi for you and give you some useful info. Thank you for that!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

We held our daughter's wedding at Ndemi and stayed there for a few days. The place is beautiful, the staff is great, the food was delicious, and the price was very affordable. We couldn't ask for anything more.
Bill Locke
Canada

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

Nairobi has very limited options for middle range lodging. Ndemi was reliable and consistent across my several stays there. The staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are generally okay and clean. And grounds are a really pleasant break from hectic Nairobi. Beds are comfortable and the place is usually quiet. However, it's basically a modified house so if you have loud guests, or the hotel staff decide to watch some late night Kenyan television (and the kitchen is the same building too), it can be a bit noisy. But again, options are limited in this price range.

Room Tip: Ask for 1 of the 2 rooms near the reception.