“Baby elephants, come on......” 5 of 5 stars
Review of David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust
Mbagathi Road | Kws Workshop Entrance - Nairobi National Park, Nairobi 00503 , Kenya
+254 733 891996
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 78 things to do in Nairobi
More attraction details
Owner description: The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust (DSWT) Elephant Nursery in Nairobi National Park provides a safe haven to orphaned baby elephants rescued by the DSWT. The Nursery provides the first stage in the hand-rearing and development of milk dependent baby elephants. Once they graduate from the Nursery, aged 2-3 years, the elephants move to one of the DSWT's Reintegration Centres in Tsavo East National Park, from where they will ultimately return to the wild.
Wisconsin
13 attraction reviews
“Baby elephants, come on......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

A must see in Nairobi. A bit touristy and crowded at times, but seeing these animals is very worth it. And your fee goes to a great cause. Don't miss this.

• Polish first
Albany, New York
3 attraction reviews
“Beautiful baby elephants!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

What a wonderful place this is! It's only open for an hour or so during the elephants feeding time so make sure to get there early, but it is so worth it! The baby elephants are so beautiful! Thank goodness there is a place like this that will take care of them. I could have stayed all day!

Visited November 2012
Alesund, Norway
12 attraction reviews
“Not as exciting as I was hoping for...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I visited the elephant orphanage together with a group in January. We had heard positive things about it, and we were really looking forward to the visit. It might have been just us who didn't know what it really was, but nevertheless, most of us where disappointed. Since we had heard "elephant orphanage" we didn't expect just to see baby elephants get fed inside fences with loads of tourists around. For me, I was more reminded of a zoo (of course I understand that the project is not like that, but I'm thinking about the experience as a tourist). I don't know if it's worth the visit - if you'd really like to see baby elephants, go check it out, but there are many other things in Nairobi that should be higher on your "attractions to visit"-list.

Visited January 2013
Santa Ana, California
3 attraction reviews
“Unforgettable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My first choice for sightseeing, observing the orphan baby elephants was educational, and motivational. Seeing the care they're receiving after the tragic loss of a mother, shows what CAN be done, not just what can go wrong. Elephants and staff are each amazing. I will continue to support these efforts in the years to come.

Wisconsin
21 attraction reviews
“There is a reason this is # 1”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This place is often referred to as the elephant orphange by the locals.
I just returned from my third visit to Nairobi and my third visit to this
place. This is the only so-called tourist attraction that I felt warranted
a return visit. Don't miss it!