“Great food, excellent setting, pricy wine” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Good for: Doing business, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Great food, excellent setting, pricy wine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

If you are in need of a Chinese or Japanese fix in Nairobi, this is the place to come. The setting is very relaxed with excellent service, and very well put together food. The only gotcha is that the wine is really expensive and not that good. Stick to the tea or Tusker!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
“Delightful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I will always remember my dining experience at Zen Garden, the courses, the service ware, the flavours, the ambiance and the wonderful chef! she gave each of us a lovely rose flower - excellent personal touch. I will be back!....

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, USA
“Good Food, Good service, very kid friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I went there a week ago for a late sunday lunch. I had heard a lot about the place prior to my visit so I wasn't surprised to see that it was very crowded. We were seated at table 15, right by the patisserie which was great. I was able to see my toddler run all around the garden from a good vantage point.

The food was delicious, although, it did get a little cold by the time it reached our table. We were a group of 5 adults and one child. There were no high-chairs available but that didn't matter so much since my son barely sat at all. We started off with a couple of beers, the pineapple-mint juice (absolutely amazing!) and the lime with ginger juice. Our appetizers were: chicken in green pesto on crostini, vegetable rolls and the garlic/rosemary pizza bread. The bread was extremely good but once again, it took rather long for the food to get to the table and it was a little cold. My main course was the vegetable pie which I thoroughly enjoyed. I know the rest in my party enjoyed their meals too.

This place is great for kids. There is a good kids menu of course but most importantly, there is plenty of safe, green space for them to run around. There is a bouncing castle, a trampoline (securely fenced and padded) and a restaurant employee who enthusiastically made balloon animals and painted faces. My son kept on going to the patisserie and the people working there would continuously give him chocolate fingers. They were very sweet to him. For this alone, I would go back.

All in all, it was a good experience. I would only suggest that the service be hastened.

• Visited November 2013
nairobi
“Great Food, Even Greater Prices!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Jade burger is something one has to try if they are keen burger fans. I have also tried the pancakes (which they no longer serve!), they were fine, but the portion was small.
The roasted chicken sandwich is also outstanding.
Great view and place for teh kids to play, only issue is we find the play way too pricey and they keep escalating since the last visit.

400 Ksh for a portion of plain chips? 300 Ksh for a house coffee? Come on! Other than that, service we found was good, depending on the waiter assigned to you!

• Visited July 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“love the range”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Had dinner with four friends at Zen. Service was excellent, food was good, wine was 'meh' and somewhat pricey. I really appreciated the diverse menu and the fact that each of us was able to get exactly what we wanted. The thai chicken wraps were fantastic, sushi was great (finished it off for breakfast), the sashimi was fresh and tastefully presented, the beef, lamb and chicken dishes seemed well enjoyed. Sorry I didn't remember my camera until the plates were cleared. Thanks to the staff for the quick save for the birthday girls--the roses were appreciated.

• Visited November 2013