“love the range” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Nairobi, Kenya
“love the range”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Had dinner with four friends at Zen. Service was excellent, food was good, wine was 'meh' and somewhat pricey. I really appreciated the diverse menu and the fact that each of us was able to get exactly what we wanted. The thai chicken wraps were fantastic, sushi was great (finished it off for breakfast), the sashimi was fresh and tastefully presented, the beef, lamb and chicken dishes seemed well enjoyed. Sorry I didn't remember my camera until the plates were cleared. Thanks to the staff for the quick save for the birthday girls--the roses were appreciated.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Kiev
“Zen Garden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

A very relaxing and quite environment for a very nice lunch or dinner. Spacious outside area with large tables makes dining very enjoyable. Has a good and diverse menu to choose from. I was with a group and we had a selection of Asian dishes, chicken, fish, beef prepared in Asian style along with Tempura vegetables. All were well prepared and very tasty. I suggest to go with the Asian dishes and not the western style dishes of burgers, pasta, pizza, etc. These are not as tasty or well prepared. There is a lunch special that is often very good. Also, there is a pastry bar as well, so for a breakfast or afternoon tea, this would be very good. Service is a bit slow in some cases, but overall good. Worth a trip to the restaurant even though it is some distance from the center, so go when the traffic going and coming might not be so congested.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Datchet, United Kingdom
“Authentic Asian”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Six months after arriving in Nairobi, was able to finally dine in to this restaurant. On first arrival to Nairobi, a write up on this establishment was brilliantly published in a local magazine (I think). Write up was impressive, so one evening my husband & I decided to try it out.

As in any restaurant in Nairobi, Zen menu is pricey. Still looking forward to a good Chinese or Pan-Asian dinner.

Not bad, but there are better restaurant serving this type of cuisine. Should have listened to friends' comments, but stubborn I am, I insisted to try.

Next time I should listen to friends specially if one is a well known head chef of an international five star hotel.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
“Ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

U want a chilled out no noise kind of place with friends or hubby, this a nice joint, but if your pocket isn't deep better look the other way. I like the tree tomatoe cocktail. A nice hidden join in lower kabete. MUST visit.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nairobi, Kenya
“Baby Cockroaches”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We usually have a great time at Zen Gardens for a Sunday Brunch, so we decided to visit it once again towards mid Sept.
When we got there they sat us at a table that was too small for 7 pax, despite prior reservation. After complaining they moved us to a larger table inside.
Half way through our meal I got a baby Cockroach in my plate and thought it came from the food, but when we complained the only thing the waiter did was take my plate away and kill the Cockroach which was on the plate. As the meal progressed we saw a few more Cockroaches on the table and discovered they were coming out from within the table since the table had not been cleaned properly for a long time. We complained again and they moved us to sofa set and cleared out table away. We asked to see the manager to complain, but he refused to come see us and sent his assistant to deal with us. We booked through Eatout and we ever entitled to a 10% food discount which they did not give us when our bill was presented, we had to ask for the discount and they only gave us 10% we were already entitled to with no compensation for the ruined meal. We left the assistant manager with our contact details asking them to ask the owners to call us and till date we have never heard back.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
shivradia, Owner at Zen Garden Restaurant, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Khilan,

We are extremely sorry to hear you had such a poor experience at Zen Garden. We apologise again for this bad experience. We have looked into the issue and we can guarantee that this will definitely not happen again. I apologise on behalf of the staff and manager on the way the matter was handled. Please can you send us your details to info@zengarden.co.ke and the bill amount as we would like to refund the full amount to you.

Our sincere apologies.