“Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The King Post

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The King Post
Rhapta Rd. | Westlands, Nairobi 00800, Kenya   |
Fareham UK and also Nairobi Kenya
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

My partner and I stayed at The King Post, in a studio apartment, for a week in July 2010. It is a beautiful place, decorated in swahili/arabic design. Security is a high priority as is comfort. All the staff members are friendly and accommodating. The only problem was that the room was extremely cold. I believe that the architectural design is suited to the warm weather at the coast - not necessarily for Nairobi. The management should consider installing some sort of heating system. The other challenge was that the website does not allow would be guests to make payment on-line or through a paypal account. having to do a bank transfer is - i feel - quite outdated. It's also annoying when people are leaving for work in the morning/coming back at night - i could hear the cars right outside my window. The living room sofa is also beautiful but not comfortable. It would also be nice to be able to see the tv from the bed. but then again, we all probably need a break from television! They also do not provide a safe, in the room or reception which was quite annoying. we had to carry our money and gadgets around with us.

Their prices are reasonable. They do not serve food but you are provided with all the utensils you would need, and there is a Chinese/Indian restaurant opposite. The cleanliness standards are also high.

King Post is also in a relatively plush area and near the sarit centre shops so it is convenient.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

12 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

We initially were going to stay at one of the more expensive hotels in Nairobi, but they were sold out ~ 2 weeks prior to our trip.

We contacted The Kings Post. They were very helpful.

We arrived on a Sunday night. They are in a convenient location (Westlands).

Overall, the place was very nice. We had 2 bedrooms. There were no screens on the window or the beds, but we only saw a few mosquitos outside. The rooms were stylish. The TV had cable. The kitchen had a fridge, microwave, stove, utensils ... . There were lockable cabinets in the rooms. The maid was fine. They only provided 2 small bars of soap, but we had packed shampoo ... with the knowledge that this was an apartment.

The next morning, the office was able to configure my laptop to obtain WiFi signal. The internet speed was good and did not cost extra.

The bathrooms were nice, not great by Western standards, but very nice and clean.

The first night picked up food from an Indian restaurant across the street Piliani's, it was ok.

This worked nice for us. It should be noted that we had a friend pick us up at the airport and had our own vehicle. If you were using taxis service, you may want to see if the office would be willing to help arrange pickup and drop off for you.

Our 2 bedroom / 2 bathroom facility cost ~$200 (usd) per night. I think that is a good value for Nairobi.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

I stayed at King's Post for three weeks (on a long-term business assignment in Nairobi and my long-term apartment wasn't quite ready when I arrived) in early November, and would highly recommend it to other travelers. The rooms are beautifully decorated (I would say quasi-Indian/Middle Eastern decor) and extremely clean - the maid/cleaning service comes in almost everyday and kept my room immaculate. The amenities/components in the room were in good working condition (fridge, stovetop, oven, toaster, microwave, TV.), and it was stocked with all kinds of dishes, cookware and kitchen utensils. The area King's Post is in is relatively quiet; I think there are some private residences right next to King's Post - for the most part, they were also quiet, except for some yard/house construction that took place one weekend but that was not the norm.

Karima was so friendly and caring - she really made me feel at home in a new place/culture. I am highly confident she would bend over backwards to make someone's stay at King's Post as pleasant as possible. The only issue I brought up to her was the poor Internet access from my building (and I think it was free access) - she acknowledged that my building has some difficulty obtaining a strong signal, and offered to move me into another building that was closer to the router. I declined to move since my stay was short, but I appreciate her willingness to solve the problem. I didn't mention that I thought the bed was a bit hard, as that seems more like a traveler preference than anything wrong with the room, but I'm sure if I would've brought it up, Karima would've been quick to offer up some solutions to solve it.

The rest of the staff I interacted with is very friendly and seemingly competent. I was really impressed with Patrick, one of the security guards, with the assistance he gave me - when I arrived late in the evening on my first night, I wasn't yet set up for Internet access or phone to let my family know I arrived safely. So Patrick ran down to the local store (there was another guard on duty) to get a cell phone calling card, and allowed me to use his cell phone to call my family.

Overall, I was very happy with my stay at King's Post - I would stay there again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Chi town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

I stayed at the King Post for almost a month while on vacation, and was absolutely satisfied with their service. They're clean, good quality and have this beautiful theme for their design... I want to call it coastal. The location worked perfectly for me...residential yet not too far from the Westlands shopping area. I just loved it, thanks to Karima and her excellent customer care.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

Hi.

I stayed at King Post for 7 months from January to July 2009 while doing a consultancy with the UNHCR.

King Post will charge you nightly, or monthly (and yearly as well I think). There is very significant savings to at least paying monthly as the charge for one night is about 3X the charge of 1/30th the monthly rate. As I said I stayed for 7 months but was not able to negotiate any discount because of my extended stay.

The compound is located on Rhapta Road (one block off Wayaki Way). It is near the western end of the road which makes it a bit quieter. At this location you are 30 minutes walk from Sarit Centre or 20 minutes walk from ABC place which I recommend for your grocery shopping needs (Zucchinis has the best vegetables I found).

Nearby there are several gyms - I used the Muscle N Motion gym at Liza Apartments which is a 10 minute walk away.

This area of Rhapta Rd. is as I said, a bit quieter. You are surrounded by other apartment complexes of the same type. Also on Rhapta Rd. there are two UNHCR offices dealing with refugees. For part of the time I stayed here refugees were sleeping in front of one of the office but near the end they were no longer there.

They say you should not walk after dark and I never did so I can not comment on the security of the area in the dark. But during the day I walked everywhere and it was never any problem. Rhapta Rd. is not the nicest for walking on due to there being no sidewalks and very agressive and bad drivers abound. But it is better than other roads because it is not as busy (and worse than others which are still quieter).

Recently they chased all the kiosks out of the area. So now there is very little roadside shopping if you find you have run out of eggs or something. But nearby on Church Rd. there is an area with fruits for sale and you can also get roasted corn on the cob (maize on the cob) and down the road at Njema there are some other necessary items (10 minute walk) such as veggies and sodas etc.

Now as per the compound itself:

This is quite a big compound and it does look like a swahili castle! In fact the landlady recently told me they have 53 units now. The compound is still under construction and during my stay several buildings opened up which were not open when I Arrived due to them being completed.

There are studio, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom,. and (I think) 3 bedroom units available. I had a tiny studio apartment which was perfect for 1 person or 2 people who are quite fond of each other.

My apartment was beautifully outfitted. I would not say the proprietors were stingy at all in this respect. I had my own little water heater so I never had cold showers. The apartment came with almost everything I could need including the dishes and silverware, cooking pots and pans, wine bottle opener, various spoons and spatulas etc. I did purchase a few things that were not in the kitchen such as a vegetable peeler and an additional mixing bowl. But you could definitely get by on what they put in there quite easily.

The kitchen had a microwave with lots of power, a medium sized fridge, an electric kettle, a toaster, an oven with stovetop elements.

Some touches are very nice - such as the enormous king sized bed (aparently not available in the bigger units but I'm not sure) with 4 posters and mosquito netting decoratively hung. Also the tv was a medium size flat screen model with a dvd player attached - nice! (And you can rent dvd's for 150ksh at ABC Plaza coincidentally).

These places are fully furnished and equipped including a large towel and a hand towel, sheets warm blankets and pillows, and dish clothes and sponges for the kitchen. Also the maids change the linens two times a week and make your bed every day (except Sunday).

Yes, the maid comes 6 days a week to do your dishes, clean your floor, dust your stuff, and make your bed. This is a very thurough service and I rarely found a speck of dust or grime in my apartment in spite of Nairobi being a generally dusty place. On Sundays you are on your own.

My apartment came with two big wardrobe cupboards with locks on them. I was advised to keep my valuables in these cupboards during the daytime to reduce the temptation for the maids. I did this. That said I left LOTS of stuff lieing around including small change and non-gold jewellery and nothing every went missing so I have very positive things to say about that.

The apartments come equipped with landline telephones and you can buy calling cards to call your loved ones. You can also use these phones to call the guards or the office if you need to on the internal free line.

My apartment had 2 decks and I think some even have 3. One deck out front was for enjoying myself - two deck chairs for sitting in. The one out back is enclosed and is more for utility and has an outdoor sink in it and a plug. Back here you can hang your laundry to dry or do other more messy activities.

I think the apartments are very secure. Nairobi has SUCH a bad reputation and I was worried as I was living alone but I never had any trouble. All windows are steel barred and the doors are locked with a strong bolt-lock in their heavy wood.

Guards are on duty 24/7 at King Post without exceptions (multiple guards). There are also cameras and electrical fencing. There is a certain system also for if you are approaching in your car to decrease your risk but I won't go into details here. As I said I had no security problems at KP but I do think there is a bit more they could do. There compound is not up to UN security standards. And I know that some buildings in Nairobi have panic buttons but KP does not. And by the way - the guards seem very good. They are friendly and welcoming while at the same time always keeping their critical eyes open for trouble. If I heard a noise in the night I would call to the guards and they would send someone to investigate - even if I didn't think the noise was necessarily a threat I still called them and they would check it out.

KP provides wireless internet at a charge. I found this to be quite low quality and I stopped using it. I think in some buildings it is better than others but in my building it rarely worked well enough for effective internet usage. Also it seemed to constantly be going offline and the management blamed the hot days for overheating the system. I don't know what the truth is about the problem with the internet but I do know that for the price they ask for for this service you can buy a lot of internet through one of the cell service providers which is (in my experience) better quality. Try Safaricom mobile internet for example.

As per cell phones - my particular unit had extremely bad service on the Safaricom network but nearly perfect service on the Zain network. Many people were suprised that I lived in westlands and couldnt' use my safaricom phone in my apartment.

I would like to say that the management at KP runs a very tight ship and I enjoyed this a lot. When there would be noisy party's (which there weren't very often) the very next day a reminder would be sent out about the noise level restrictions. The tenancy agreement lays out a lot of rules which I felt generally led to a more controlled and respectful environment for all tenants. I also credit the good management for keeping the maids so honest. I never had any trouble with the management and I got my damage deposit back in full without any difficulty a few days before my actual departure which made me very happy indeed. I definitely know other people who have had difficulty at other apartment complexes getting their deposits back at the end...

The KP provides a hotel-style laundry service where you leave your clothes in a basket and fill out a form and two days later your clothes come back clean and ironed for you to wear. This is such a good system if you can afford it but I would complain that it is a bit pricey. Even one days worth of clothes can easily add up to about 1000ksh which can add up really fast over weeks or months! This is also a bit disappointing because generally in Nairobi it should not be difficult to get your laundry done much cheaper either by hand or at the laundrette (ABC place). Most people I know were paying their cleaning ladies to do their laundry for them by hand however at KP you are not allowed to do this so you must either a) wash your laundry by hand yourself or b) pay their high priced service or c) take your laundry out to the laundrette or d) find someone who is not a KP maid to either come to your place to do your laundry or take it away.

Another unfortunate thing was that near the end of my stay KP raised the rent by 26% citing the change in exchange with the US dollar as justification. I wasn't sure (I'm not American) what the USD has to do with an apartment in Kenya but nonetheless that's the way it happened. The good news is that because I was coming to the end of my stay KP was very accomadating in not forcing me to have this rent change or move out - I got to keep my old rate for my last few weeks. Thanks KP!

At the new rental rates I think KP is not as competetive as it was previously. But you can decide that for yourself.

Another thing I will mention is that in my entire time at KP the water only ran out twice (water rationing happens all the time in Nairobi). This means that without my knowledge the KP management was doing a really good job at keeping the backup tanks full. Also a few months ago they put in an enormous generator so I no longer know when the power goes out (which I understand it does relatively frequently).

Disappointingly KP has no additional benefits on the grounds. There is no pool and no excercise room and no garden area where you can sit to relax (the small amount of grass says you should keep off it). This was especially disappointing because the website says there is a pool - but there is not. The pool has been under construction since I arrived and at first they said it would be ready to go by February but it is July and still not ready. This is part of why I think KP is not as good a price as some other buildings because for the same price at other buildings you get a pool and an excercise room.

The actual compound of KP is laid out in one big courtyard with all the cars in the middle. The many units are arranged into different buildings with about 6 units per building. Having the cars in the middle can cause quite a lot of noise especially at night when people arrive and slam their car doors or when they depart early in the morning and accidentally set off their car alarms. But overall this is a nice layout. It is also nice in that every unit has 3 sides with windows so it is very light inside the units.

Overall I highly recommend KP - I had a secure and happy visit without problems and living in comfort with no concerns.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
TheGablesGroup, Owner at The King Post, responded to this review, August 20, 2009
Dear Sir,
I speak on behalf of the family (the landlords) and thank you for your detailed review on The King Post. We are called THE GABLES GROUP, and The King Post is one of our newest properties. I was pleased to note that you had a happy visit without any problems nor concerns in general. However, I see there were some issues which you raised which concerned me, namely the back-up alarm, wireless internet, mobile reception, laundry prices, raise in rent, and additional facilities. JUust to clarify these issues...
The Back-up alarm has not been offered to tenants, as from our experience from our other property The Gables, we used to have many false alarms (pressed due to curiousity rather than an emergency), causing the security company to start charging per visit! Also if required by a tenant, a remote buzzer can always be provided to the tenant at any time. However, the guards do hold these remotes and also have certain fixed points within the compund that they could use for emergency. The guards are themselves from a UN-recommended security list.
Internet - this has been a problem directly linked to the subscriber, who have faulted our equipment ever since. However, we started to provide Safaricom Mobilephone Modems to tenants for the wireless connections, which were not great too! Finally we were advised to just wait till the 'optical cable connection' (undersea cable from South Africa which would link Kenya to many countries including UAE) arrives in Kenya. This would mean that internet service would improve, be faster, and cheaper. The cable has arrived, and testing is in progress. Hopefully, in September 2009, we would see the wonders of speed and extra bandwidth, at last!
Mobile reception from one mobile company Safaricom is a problem in this compound. We reported this to them, and they have been honest in saying that there have been many reports from Rhapta Road. They will be putting up a signal base by beginning next year. We were told this last year!! We asked again 3 months ago, and the response was to be patient!
Laundry - we have opted for this 'hotel' system rather than offering a common laundry self-service area for tenants as we found that 90% of our clientelle do not have the time to do their laundry and want us to provide the service, including pressing etc. We had intially started this service free of charge, or complimentary, to tenants. But later we found out that some tenants were sending their friends' (outsiders) laundry for us to process too! Anything FREE is always abused. The tenant has the choice to use our service, as this may be the most convenient way rather than going to a laundrette etc. The prices are reasonable, drastically less than in hotels. Dirty laundry is collected and delivered the next day or two, pressed, folded or on hangers. This ensures that our property looks presentable at all times rather than seeing the ugly sight of laundry hanging on drying lines or over the balcony railings. Our laundry is hardly a money-making scheme, but an extra responsibility which we would rather do without. But we need to serve the tenants' and their wishes....
As we were still in the process of completing the project, we had offered discounted rates to tenants. The pool area got delayed as our priority lay in completing all the accommodation part first. This has been done, and the pool area is shaping up now. Our tariffs are in the same range as those apartments around us, although we are confident, and have proved, that we have the better product, as we are one of the very few apartments in Nairobi that are managed and maintained by the owners themselves.
In regards to additonal facilities, we shall be having a Health Club next year (tenants would be paying membership fee at a special reduced rate), a mini market, and a salon. We had plans for a restaurant, but this seems to be not a good idea as it will increase traffic in the compound, reduce security drastically and increase the noise levels - all points against the tenants. Instead we shall improve relations with outside caterers, take-outs and restaurants to assist in providing great cuisine to our tenants (with discounts). We have noticed that 90% of our tenants cook themselves, or order takeaway. Great food joints are 5 minutes away by car or motor bikes.
I hope some issues have been clarified in this response. Our aim is to make a determined effort to provide quality in both the accommodation and service to anyone who stays at THE KING POST & THE GABLES. We are working hard at it and, yes, without your support and feedback, we cannot improve ourselves.
Meanwhile we hope you well, and hope to meet you again at The King Post or The Gables. You are welcome - karibu sana. Thank you.
Concerned Management

Been to The King Post? Share your experiences!