“Good location and nice people” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Khweza Bed & Breakfast

You added Khweza Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Khweza Bed & Breakfast
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Ngara Road | Opposite Administration Police Post, Nairobi 00200, Kenya   |
Announcement
Tours and Safaris
Ranked #28 of 178 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Good location and nice people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

The airport pickup was very convenient and the staff at the hotel was absolutely lovely. We thought our room was clean and we were warm, it was a bit noisy but not enough to deter me from steering people away from staying. We were able to walk downtown easy enough. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Wow. I have stayed at Khweza for over a week (truthfully, I can't remember exactly how many days) and was extremely satisfied with their offerings. The five star rating is not because you can compare it to the Intercontinental or something in that caliber, but the five stars are for the amazing value that Khweza offers.

If you've done research on Nairobi hotels, they are through the roof, so finding a nice clean budget hotel is not easy (trust me I've looked), but Khweza exceeds all expectations. The rooms have either one, two or 3 beds depending on your request, I had a twin which was quite comfortable and I had a great sleep throughout my stay. Rooms were cleaned EVERYDAY, you have your OWN bathroom (keep looking you'll find many are shared) with warm to hot water with some having a balcony (having stayed in the balcony rooms they can be quite loud from the traffic).
Location, you might be sketched out at first but don't be alarmed! A very easy 15 to 20 minute walk from the hotel and you're in the city center (conference center and all downtown) so no real need for a taxi. Be sure to grab a card from the front desk to show Taxi's as they all do not know where Khweza is, and remember Ngara Road and Fig Tree commercial as a reference for them. Speaking of taxi's, Khweza has their own dedicated drivers that offer reasonable and I believe set rates for the most part and are in line with most taxi's give or take 1-200 shillings.
Safety! You have nothing to worry about, which is nice. A guest had left his jacket upstairs for the night to find it the next day. I have yet to hear one complaint from anyone and I would feel comfortable leaving money open in my room and not worrying. It is a huge relief!
Breakfast, it's included! Fresh fruit, toast, eggs (omelette or scrambled) coffee and juice! w00t.
The Bar, though, I don't understand why, it's completely infrequently used. Maybe one of the few ROOFTOP bar/restaurants in Nairobi with views of downtown, breezy and very cheap prices on Beer and food, it should be more popular. However it's great to meet other travelers and eat your breakfast up there!
I haven't used them, but there is a booking office beside the front desk with two helpful ladies that I believe offer great rates on tours/safaris.
Just to tell you how good it is, I'm one of those unplanned travelers so I would reserve my room one or two days at a time or sometimes when I wake up. However this morning I was told they were full so now staying in another budget hotel across town for the same price and it is HORRIBLE! I can't wait to go back to Khweza!

Room Tip: Rooms downstairs are large and may be at a premium, balcony rooms although nice (good for smokers) c...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were in Kenya in November, 2011. Hotels are very expensive in Nairobi, so on the last few days of our trip, we booked this B&B. The price was very competitive, hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, they could also book you daily trips, safari trips and car service. The first night we were in a room facing the street, it was extremely noisy, as the windows are single paned, room is right on a busy street, there were trucks going by all night, it quieted down a bit after mid-night and got busy again in the early morning, it was as if we were sleeping on the freeway. We requested a quieter room for the second night, which the staff happily helped, he took us to a room in the back, which as windowless but noiseless. We stayed for a couple of minutes to make sure we didn't hear street noise. So keep in mind that rooms might be noisy and you absolutely need ear plugs. The hotel is located in a not-so-nice area, but convenient to get around, rooms are clean, there is restaurant on the roof top, food is decent. We really liked the staff there, very friendly and warm, eager to talk with us, willing to help. While we were waiting for car service to go to the airport at night, 2 nice young men kept us company and chatted with us warmly. Overall, we had a good stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room away from the street side.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Khweza is a budget hotel that gives you everything you need at a good price.
The staff are friendly, happy & helpful & the rooms are clean & tidy.
Nairobi hotels are expensive for what you get so keep in mind this is a simple well priced hotel for Nairobi.
It's not the best part of town but it is well situated to get into the city. If you haven't been to Nairobi before keep in mind the traffic is really bad. Meaning that it takes a long time to travel only short distances, therefore if you need to be close to the city & are on a budget then Khweza is the way to go. Otherwise you will literally be spending hours travelling!
They do offer a pickup & drop-off airport service, which I always like. There is nothing worst than getting hassled by taxi drivers or getting ripped off because you are tired from a flight & don't understand the currency yet. Simpler & stress free to arrange a pickup.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Forli, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I booked a room in this hotel in June and when I arrived in August they told me the room was still busy as people who were supposed to depart lost their passport and could not leave. They moved us to another hotel, when I complained asking for some refounding they offered us the dinner in the hotel restaurant but everything in the menu was finished! Everything but chicken...that has been our dinner! Anyway the restaurant in the terrace on the top floor is not ad fashinating as it seemed to be...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My mum was in Nairobi after almost 10yrs of being away on business and loved the food and helpful staff at Khweza. The room was bigger than expected, very clean, very clean towels and toilet paper never lacked.

Immeadiately from her check in day of arrival the staff was very helpful, helped her with everything, ensuring her phone worked, had airtime, ensured her daily visits to town were on time and had someone to accompany her as she went to town at a reasonable fee.

The promptness of the staff with regards to her pick up and drop offs was amazing.

Extra initiative was outstanding, as they even reccomended places she should go to collect business items and even went the extra step to ensure that she had an itenerary done. Ensuring she got all she needed from areas they reccomended.

With regards to security, all was safe and Khweza even went the extra step to keep all my mums documents in their safety deposit box as she did her rounds and came back in the evening. All was well.

The staff, were friendly, always smiling and very courteous and ensured my mums very early breakfast was always served at 6.30am before she left for her rounds in town.

The team also made an extra effort to ensure they helped her negotiate for items she was to buy and provided cost indications.

Sally the manager, was very prompt. Took time to meet my mum and ensure all was well and was happy to negotiate any costs she queried.

The food was very homely and felt like food that was just like our food back at home.

I'd definitely suggest Khweza to any business traveller who requires a home away from home and affordable rates accessible to the greater CBD.

Kudos Khweza, keep it up!

• Stayed August 2013
Usa, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Likes: Proximity to CBD is good. Staff is friendly

Dislikes: Where to begin...
1. Cold cement rooms
2. Meals are less than adequate. Eggs is the main staple for breakfast which even when offered different preparations is not good. Limited availability of menu selections. Maybe seven if you're lucky. Soups are powdered soups so if you think you are ordering chicken soup the traditional way..think again. A thick glutaneous bowl of yellow stuff which is strange because everywhere you look in Nairobi is a chicken place.
3. Cockroaches in room.
4. Towels tend to be dirty so check them first before using.
5. Did I say very cold rooms?
6. Wifi is out most of the time and you will have difficulties connecting after 10:00pm because Wifi is nonexistent. I at bed and breakfast now and it's taking me 20 minutes to send this review because the wifi keeps going out.
7. Extremely noisey. The cleaning staff starts off the noise at 6:30am. If you're on the second floor across from kitchen you will hear them join in which sounds like a full fledge ruckus. Staff and guests are loud at night. Things finally die down about 12:00am/1:00am. No need for an alarm clock-the noise will suffice.

Really lower your expectations. I would advice you to save a bit more for a quality hotel. If you stay, eat out.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Khweza Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!