“Did not feel like 'family'” 2 of 5 stars

Hillpark Hotel
Lower Hill Road | P. O. Box 46037, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #43 of 94 Specialty lodging in Nairobi
Canberra, Australia
“Did not feel like 'family'”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

A very difficult day for everyone; the day after the Westgate Mall seige. Our hearts go out to the Kenyan people at this time. I hope the hotel staff realised this and that it is also difficult for foreigners - some of whom were killed at Westgate. We had emails from our country's Foreign Affairs department warning Australian tourists not to go to public places; Emails of concern from our loved ones. We arrived Sunday morning to meet up with an Exodus Tour. We'd come from Sarova Panafric where the staff were very concerned about our safety (as foreigners). of course they were all affected by this terrible tragedy yet they remained 100% professional. Sadly staff at this hotel did not seem to have the same outlook. we felt like intruders. Watching the news for updates we understood, but the alternative was soccer at loud volumes - even in the salon where staff also laughed at me while I got my hair braided. No price list in the salon so had to pay whatever they asked. Very limited
facilities. Lots of people/staff not in uniform so very hard to know who were staff. Not sure why, if this is normal, but it was very disconcerting. Yes, there is free WIFI. Our rooms had beautiful baths. Beds are very firm. I can forgive anything if there is good service. Previous reviews lead me to believe our experience was not just because of Westgate.

• Stayed September 2013

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Lusaka
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Well Well, as a trained customer service specialist I found myself faced with a very cold reception from the front office staff and the room attendants for the duration of my stay at the hotel ( seven days). The staff need urgent customer service training before they loss customers who value good customer service delivery. I was rarely greeted each time I passed by the reception. Only the lady that helped me with my check out on 31st July, 2013 was very friendly, the rest were very cold.
The cleaning of the rooms is done as the room attendants please - it appears they are either understaffed or have some attitude issues - though most of the time I would find them in the corridors chatting or is it gossiping and would never greet a guest.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Hillpark Hotel is a good alternative to downtown Nairobi. We stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment that would be perfect for a family. It could use an upgrade but the space was good. Excellent service, staff, and security. The food was good and the business center helped me accomplish a few tasks.

Room Tip: The new wing is the best but the apartment was good if you need more room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Usa, Tanzania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I Would never reccomend this hotel to any1 , the phones in rooms dnt work the stuff members are rude the female workers love men they serve men 1st and female last its the worst hotel ever the food was horrible , i was booked at this hotel by kenya airways coz they delayed our flight ,

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
El Fondo de les Neus, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

A good stay if , like us , you arrive late and leave early .Good rooms , no air con though , super big bath but cleanliness and detail not the first priority . Reception is cold and impersonal , both human and building .
Good breakfast but no personal touches at all. Us eit if you have to but don't make a big effort to book.

Room Tip: Find a hotel with Aircon !!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
mombasa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel twice and stayed in the new wing which was great and would recommend this to anyone however please do NOT accept to stay in the old wing or the apartments as they are very run down and not pleasant.

The location of this hotel is very good if on business in Nairobi as it is located between the industrial area and the CBD.

Room Tip: rooms on the upper floor are better
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Abidjan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I had a weekend stay recently at Hillpark. The first time I went there, it was Kenya Airways that took me there, when the messed up my flight. This time around, I was in for a weekend meeting. The place might have been a personal residence turned into a hotel but hey.. what I need is that stuff work.

I could not get to print anything for the meeting. The business center has not been in use for ages. Plus the restaurant area is in another building from the rooms and it was funny that staff could protect themselves with umbrellas while their guests had to run under the rain to get to the restaurant.

I had an evening flight but I left the hotel in the morning.. and told them I'd rather stay at the airport. It is the first time ever that I spend 3 nights in a hotel and I did not see a single smile on the face of any worker there..

As I told Simon (the porter who tried to force a smile) this can only be due to bad treatment from the hotel owner/management.

Room Tip: If you are in town for business, check out other places!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hillpark Hotel? Share your experiences!