“The Staff wont smile” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 90 Specialty lodging in Nairobi
Abidjan
“The Staff wont smile”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I had a weekend stay recently at Hillpark. The first time I went there, it was Kenya Airways that took me there, when the messed up my flight. This time around, I was in for a weekend meeting. The place might have been a personal residence turned into a hotel but hey.. what I need is that stuff work.

I could not get to print anything for the meeting. The business center has not been in use for ages. Plus the restaurant area is in another building from the rooms and it was funny that staff could protect themselves with umbrellas while their guests had to run under the rain to get to the restaurant.

I had an evening flight but I left the hotel in the morning.. and told them I'd rather stay at the airport. It is the first time ever that I spend 3 nights in a hotel and I did not see a single smile on the face of any worker there..

As I told Simon (the porter who tried to force a smile) this can only be due to bad treatment from the hotel owner/management.

Room Tip: If you are in town for business, check out other places!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Residents have everything cheaper here, not fair on tourists. My room was $220 for non-residents but KSH 12,000 for residents (about $150). Lovely hotel though, good value for money. Complimentary breakfast and was a feast!
I will be back.

• Stayed November 2012
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed here on three occasions, on all three we got a free bump up to the premium rooms. Amazing rooms, including a free standing claw foot tub.

Positives:
brand new rooms with claw foot tubs and safes
helpful staff, we did not load a bag and the reception was quite helpful (they have a mobile # too)
nice lounge area if you are need to work as a group or have a business meeting
great haircuts at the salon!
great location, at the heart of things but very quiet and leafy
helpful for room service -- you can get plates/cutlery from the restaurant
nice friendly cats!

Negatives:
breakfast and generally the restaurant
gym noise if you are facing that side
exorbitant fee to add my partner to the room

I will definitely be back however.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

when I was in my city I was wondering where I could spend my holidays, fortunately I met a pal who suggested this Hotel to me, I had to search for the Hotel through the website and managed to do an online booking, arranged for my trip and when I reached the Hotel I felt as if I was back home in my city, what I enjoyed most was the design of the rooms in the new wing of the Hotel together with the free internet not forgetting free gym and sauna. keep it up since you made my Holiday to be the best in Africa.

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I too came here after being booked into the hotel as part of a tour and after reading the reviews had mixed feelings.

On the positive:

-The staff were very helpful
-The room I was shown into was much better than I expected and relatively comfortable. I requested to b put into a room in the new wing which I think helped and I would definitely suggest doing.

On the negative:

-Despite calling twice and emailing three times to arrange an airport pickup I arrived and there was no one there to meet me. Mini drama ensued and I eventually was collected an hour and five dollars later after having to make various calls to the hotel.
- the guy who helped me with my bag and taking it to the room scoffed and the two dollar tip I offered and demanded 5 dollars making it extremely uncomfortable, I paid him the money to just get him out of the room.
- The music from the gym was unrelenting.

So in conclusion okay for a night if you have to.

Katie

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

I came here after 2 nights at the Fairview (great hotel - highly recommended) I only moved because I was meeting an Exodus tour and this was the pre departure accommodation, rooms are tatty, fell over the cleaners bucket as I was shown into the third attempt at a room, no hot water, blaring music from the gym all day/night long, staff are rude and very unhelpful, porter hovered for ages trying to get a tip after I'd carried my own bags, had to ask him to leave in the end, to make matters worse it's £95 a night - same price as the Fairview! I've never written a review before but this place was do bad I felt abliged to warn other unsuspecting travellers.

• Stayed July 2012
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Well my first stay here was rather miserable, but this time round I managed to get a room as far away as possible from the Gym and the car park. This made quite a difference.

As someone who is always hot and likes to sleep with the windows open, bringing my own mosquito net improved things no end, because I could leave the windows wide open and stay free of insect bites.

The staff seemed more friendly and the food seemed an improvement over the previous trip.

There still seemed to be things not working in the room, but overall this trip was a lot more enjoyable than the last.

Room Tip: Get something as far as possible away from the carpark and the gym
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hillpark Hotel? Share your experiences!