“Not recommended” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 92 Specialty lodging in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“Not recommended”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

First night (or rather early morning) I got there at about 3am after an 18 hour journey - desk staff very surly and didn't seem to want to check me in - eventually things happened and I got a room.

Room looked interesting with stone shower cubicle and claw foot bath, but in the shower, the tap fell off and i couldn't get hot water. So I went to sleep on the stone-like mattress for a few hours until......the gym opened at about 6.30am!! All the gym windows wide open, directly opposite my room window which was also open!! so thumping disco music and a personal trainer shouting his head off. Had to shut the window, but could still hear the gym at high volume.

I did get moved after a few days, which was marginally better, except the the room now overlooked the carpark at the front of the hotel, so every night we had the symphony of the car alarms. Every night, from about midnight onwards, a never-ending cacophony of car alarms of many different noises. Always left for at least 5 minutes until someone bothered to disarm it or whatever, by which time sleep was suitably disturbed.

By leaving the windows open I got bitten badly by the mosquitoes - no mosquito net provided.

The bar by the poolside was ok apart from the television which seemed to be on all the time with some sport at high volume - not very relaxing.

I've saved the best bit till last - the restaurant. Put simply: avoid at all costs. The food was really very poor. Breakfast was just about passable, but the evening meals, especially the buffet was quite disgusting. In 14 days I had food poisoning three times. I once ordered a burger from room service and it was absolutely revoting - having been shipped off to boarding schools as a child, I've learnt to eat most things, but this really was horrible. Greasy stringy meat, cold soggy chips.

As someone else has commented, the staff were very unhelpful and always looked as if you were inconveniencing them by asking for something. Their website says you are treated not as a guest, but as family. All I can conclude is that it must be family who don't like you very much!

Room Tip: Insist on one of the refurbished rooms but nothing anywhere near the gym unless you want to wake at...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012 via mobile

This hotel costs a fair bit, so you'd expect a fair bit. But no, the ruins are pokey, the restaurant is complete rubbish, and the worst bit was the service. No smiles, the staff look annoyed when you ask them a question. And the worst bit is when we asked for a nearby shop, the one recommended was suggested by reception we took a taxi that cost 1000 shillings. Turns out it was a 3 minute walk away! Never again.

• Stayed December 2011
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed in this motel for three nights last month. Motel was the start and finishing point of our Kenyan tour. We were put into one of the old rooms at the front of the motel which to say the least was an interesting experience. Bed was hard as a rock, no hot water and toilet system would not flush as it was broken. Asked on numerous occassions for mainetnace to check out toilet but no assistance forthcoming.
On our last night after returning from our camping tour we were placed in one of the refurbished rooms. Much better only compalint would be again no hot water for the shower as the hot water tap when touched fell off the wall.
Reception staff need lessons in manners. A simple hello and thank you from them would not go astray. When we checked out of the motel the gentleman (if you could call him that) was rude and needs to be very aware that he is lucky he still has a job because if I was your boss you would be out.

Room Tip: For a start don't even stay there
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

If you stay here be sure to insist you stay in the new rooms which are well designed and international standards. the old rooms at the front of the hotel are dirty, poorly maintained and have inadequate security. This hotel is badly let down by its restaurant where the service is slow and the food poor. the lighting means you cannot see what you are eating after dark.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

I stayed here recently with a colleague as we were not willing to pay exorbitant amounts to stay in substandard hotels in the center of town.

The reception area left us a little frazzled as there were many people checking in and checking out on the rainy evening we arrived. However, once we were checked in and stepped into the hotel building we were pleasantly surprised. Quiet, clean, and better than we expected. My room was clean, warm, cosy, and I had piping hot water and clean sheets - perfect!

If there was a problem, if we mentioned it to the staff they were quick to accommodate us. Breakfast wasn't too great, and we didn't eat there for lunch and dinner. However, the garden area by the restaurant, in the peaceful neighborhood and with the gorgeous jacarandas made for a pleasant setting, perfect to sit with one's laptop and a cup of tea (or a glass of wine) if one wanted.

Luckily by the time the health-buffs in the gym got going in the morning I was already awake, otherwise the loud electronica beats would have woken me right up at 6:45am or so. And we were close enough to where we needed to be (right downtown) that it only ever took us about 10 minutes to get there on time.

The taxis at the hotels charged us some of the fairest prices of all the taxis we took... The taxi drivers were honest, courteous, and polite.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is in Nairobi on business and will only be spending time in the hotel to sleep. With a few changes, this place could easily become a hidden gem, for their prices, service, and location.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

Its a nice hotel, not far from downtown.

Pretty much a safe place from my experience. The rooms are nice, quite comfortable and well furnished. The price is also not much, so its a good value for money.

The staff is okayish and friendly. The food except for the breakfast is pretty bad..

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Midwest, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

I stayed 2 nights at the Hillpark as part of a group safari trip through a reputable company, one night at the beginning of the trip and one in the middle. If I ever return to Nairobi, I would not choose the Hillpark.
The first night was spent in a relatively clean two-story bunk room with extremely dated furnishing and utilities. Dinner at the hotel restaurant was decent but by no means speedy and really the only choice available since the location of the hotel is not close enough to the city center. The included buffet breakfast the next morning was the only highlight of the stay. While some of the amenities such as the state-of-the-art gym, free internet, and luggage storage were nice, the customer service was not up to par.
For the second night, I was quite looking forward to the hotel and a hot shower after 6 nights of camping in the Rift Valley. The room this time was a much nicer hotel room with a beautiful stone shower and large claw foot tub I planned to utilize later that evening. I also planned to take advantage of the laundry service offered, which later became quite the hassle. When dropping off the clothes at the front desk around 230 pm, I was told I should have them returned that evening before bed time. My travel group planned dinner at the hotel restaurant again for lack of better options and boy was it a mistake. We waited over 20 minutes just to obtain a menu after asking 4 times. After waiting another 20 minutes to order, it took 90 minutes for some pastas and burgers, and the waitress seemed to care less. Once dinner was finally complete, I returned to the front desk to check on my laundry. They instructed me to call the laundry office from my room, which I promptly did, and was told they were just sorting and should deliver it within 30 minutes. I held off on the bath assuming they would arrive soon. But then 45 minutes passes, and no laundry. I call again, and was told they were "just finishing up" and would be up in about 15 minutes. Another 30 minutes pass by, and this time I call reception asking to speak with the manager. He states he would check for me and call back. After another 20 minutes of no contact, I walked to the front desk to get answers in person. The manager finally gets involved and says he will personally go check for me and I should return to my room and he will call me with an update. After about 20 more minutes, he calls and says a housekeeper should be right up. When she did finally appear, literally 50% of the clothes were not mine, but random men's clothing. I had to write a detailed explanation of the missing items, which she fortunately was able to retrieve after another 30 minutes of waiting, which puts the time after midnight and an early 5am rising. I was not a happy camper, nor were any of my other group partners, most who did not receive any of their clothes until nearly 6am right before we were scheduled to depart. And even after complaining to management, I was still charged over $20 US for whole laundry fiasco and never received an apology or explanation. And I never did get that bath.

Hillpark needs to reconsider their customer services and improve on them greatly before I would ever consider staying there again or recommending them to anyone.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hillpark Hotel? Share your experiences!