“wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kenya Road Upper Hill | PO Box 25574, Nairobi 00100, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #16 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Sydney, Australia
“wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

this was a wonderful hotel. Here for our honeymoon. Very good service. We then flew to Paris: but we loved our time in Kenya: This was a special base:

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
, Managing Director at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, February 14, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to note your comments regarding our hotel.

I am very happy that you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to welcoming you back to Kenya and the Crowne Plaza Nairobi.

managing Director

290 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

If you have choice between Intercontinental and Crowne Plaza, it should be an easy decision. CP is much newer with a great fitness center. One draw back is the location if you wish to have shopping or dinning close by, it's a good 15 min walk to the nearest supermarket (Nacumatt) if you want to stock up on juice or a pastry or two. Hotel restaurant is very expensive, we ate at the small African restaurant across the street, Gazebo. Good food, music, and reasonably priced.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your recent comments as regards our hotel.

I take you feedback extremely seriously and will review our restaurant pricing strategy within the market to see how we can better position ourselves.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Nairobi when next you are in Kenya.

managing Director
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

I'm currently staying at this hotel.

The firdt thing that you spect from a hotel is a good welcome and a bit of instructions of it. I've arrived Sunday at 22:00 PM after 9 hours traveling and when I got to the hotel, the receptionist was very dry, she didin't explain me anithing, not even the time of the breakfast. After holding a deposit I've got left with the room key and waiting for someone to take me to the room. They just took 2000$ from my card and I didn't got even a smile.
I must say I was the only customer on the front desk, the were 2 girls and one Porter. Apart from that, the room is very comfortable, now you can choose from a selection of pillows, the food is ok.
Next day during the breakfast, again I was there sitting waiting for someone to offer me some coffe. Is a bufee but you can't get the coffe yourself so I had to wait. Thank got some manager dress in a siut got there and saw the situation, then I've got my cofee.

overall is a good hotel, but they still need to polish a bit the service and train the receptionist.

1. Customer arrives and should be happy to step in your hotel. "He is bringing money to pay your salary"
2. Customer doesn't know anything about the hotel, so please explain the fundamental details.
3. a smale is free but can bring so much to both the customer and the receptionist.

Some people like me wait to the last day to give the tips and when a service like that is received , no tips and no good feedback. So les customers and lower pay.

I apologize for my english, is not my first languaje.

Regards,

Julian Forster Room 115

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
, Managing Director at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, February 4, 2011
Dear Mr. Forster.

Thank you very much for taking the time to communicate your experiences at our hotel to us. Please accept my apology for the lapses in our service.

The points which you have raised are pertinent and I have gotten personally involved to address our shortcomings and to ensure that we improve our service to our guests. I have increased service training in both the restaurant and at reception to ensure that we anticipate the needs of our guests and assure you that I will be monitoring these areas for improvement.

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

I stayed here one night while transiting Nairobi. This hotel is new, clean, well appointed. The staff are well trained and very courteous. The food (room service and breakfast) was good. High speed wireless internet is free (a rarity in hotels of this class). The hotel provided a clean car with a cautious driver to take me to the airport the next day.

The hotel is not located in the dangerous downtown area, it is out in the suburbs. Close enough to Wilson Airport (the business airport), not sure how close it is to Jomo Kenyatta airport (the main airport).

I've been coming to Nairobbery for 20 years for business, wish I had found this place before. It was recommended to me by a friend. All in all a very pleasant visit, one of the nicest stays I have ever had in Africa.

Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments as regards your recent stay at our hotel.

I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we have been able to provide the levels of service which you required.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Prague
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

Clean, calm, great club amenities, best internet in Nairobi. And surprisingly unexpensive!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback as regards your recent stay at our hotel and your impressions thereof.

I look forward to welcoming you back and assure you of our commitment to continuously working at the levels of service we offer.

Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

This is the 4th hotel I have stayed in in Nairobi in the last 2 years. It has the best fitness centre and steam bath of the lot, surpassing the sister InterContinental Hotel.

The beds are comfortable but the pillows are huge artificial fabric jobs and although there is a promise to provide you with a pillow of one's choice (5 to choose from including a medium-sized down pillow), when I tried this service another artificial pillow was sent up after 30 minutes but it was just as bad as the ones already on the bed.

The TV is flat screen and large, the internet worked and was included in the price. The buffet breakfasts were also good (nothing special by Nairobi hotel standards), but egg orders were not followed (fired egg became an omelette), and service for coffee was rather slow.

The shower was really not fantastic for a crown Plaza, in about another year the shower head will be totally blocked from the chalk build-up. I was told by other guests that this is a problem in all the showers - and the hotel is just a year old!

I had a major issue with room service who added a hidden "tray charge" of USD5 for every order. I said to the assistant manager that I expected transparency on the menu prices and would vote with my feet on this issue. The charge was dropped and I was told the matter was "on the table"but I doubt the menus will be updated with this charge.

All in all the hotel is OK in 2010, but will age very rapidly is my guess. Service is also below average (Intercon and Fairview a lot better). However if the fitness centre is important and you enjoy a steam bath (I did not try the adjacent sauna), then one can put up with the rest. (The pool is VERY small and more a feature of the patio restaurant).

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Portsmouth, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

This 3 week buisiness stay was made so much more enjoyable because the staff were friendly and interested.
Everyone from the restaurant staff with a cheery smile in the morning, the gym and pool staff and not least the lads on the door who were friendly obliging and humerous.

Thanks everyone for a good stay

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi? Share your experiences!