“Not a very good wellcome but a good hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kenya Road Upper Hill | PO Box 25574, Nairobi 00100, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #16 of 91 hotels in Nairobi
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Not a very good wellcome but a good hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

I'm currently staying at this hotel.

The firdt thing that you spect from a hotel is a good welcome and a bit of instructions of it. I've arrived Sunday at 22:00 PM after 9 hours traveling and when I got to the hotel, the receptionist was very dry, she didin't explain me anithing, not even the time of the breakfast. After holding a deposit I've got left with the room key and waiting for someone to take me to the room. They just took 2000$ from my card and I didn't got even a smile.
I must say I was the only customer on the front desk, the were 2 girls and one Porter. Apart from that, the room is very comfortable, now you can choose from a selection of pillows, the food is ok.
Next day during the breakfast, again I was there sitting waiting for someone to offer me some coffe. Is a bufee but you can't get the coffe yourself so I had to wait. Thank got some manager dress in a siut got there and saw the situation, then I've got my cofee.

overall is a good hotel, but they still need to polish a bit the service and train the receptionist.

1. Customer arrives and should be happy to step in your hotel. "He is bringing money to pay your salary"
2. Customer doesn't know anything about the hotel, so please explain the fundamental details.
3. a smale is free but can bring so much to both the customer and the receptionist.

Some people like me wait to the last day to give the tips and when a service like that is received , no tips and no good feedback. So les customers and lower pay.

I apologize for my english, is not my first languaje.

Regards,

Julian Forster Room 115

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
, Managing Director at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, February 4, 2011
Dear Mr. Forster.

Thank you very much for taking the time to communicate your experiences at our hotel to us. Please accept my apology for the lapses in our service.

The points which you have raised are pertinent and I have gotten personally involved to address our shortcomings and to ensure that we improve our service to our guests. I have increased service training in both the restaurant and at reception to ensure that we anticipate the needs of our guests and assure you that I will be monitoring these areas for improvement.

279 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

I stayed here one night while transiting Nairobi. This hotel is new, clean, well appointed. The staff are well trained and very courteous. The food (room service and breakfast) was good. High speed wireless internet is free (a rarity in hotels of this class). The hotel provided a clean car with a cautious driver to take me to the airport the next day.

The hotel is not located in the dangerous downtown area, it is out in the suburbs. Close enough to Wilson Airport (the business airport), not sure how close it is to Jomo Kenyatta airport (the main airport).

I've been coming to Nairobbery for 20 years for business, wish I had found this place before. It was recommended to me by a friend. All in all a very pleasant visit, one of the nicest stays I have ever had in Africa.

Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments as regards your recent stay at our hotel.

I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we have been able to provide the levels of service which you required.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Kind regards

Prague
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

Clean, calm, great club amenities, best internet in Nairobi. And surprisingly unexpensive!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback as regards your recent stay at our hotel and your impressions thereof.

I look forward to welcoming you back and assure you of our commitment to continuously working at the levels of service we offer.

Kind regards

Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

This is the 4th hotel I have stayed in in Nairobi in the last 2 years. It has the best fitness centre and steam bath of the lot, surpassing the sister InterContinental Hotel.

The beds are comfortable but the pillows are huge artificial fabric jobs and although there is a promise to provide you with a pillow of one's choice (5 to choose from including a medium-sized down pillow), when I tried this service another artificial pillow was sent up after 30 minutes but it was just as bad as the ones already on the bed.

The TV is flat screen and large, the internet worked and was included in the price. The buffet breakfasts were also good (nothing special by Nairobi hotel standards), but egg orders were not followed (fired egg became an omelette), and service for coffee was rather slow.

The shower was really not fantastic for a crown Plaza, in about another year the shower head will be totally blocked from the chalk build-up. I was told by other guests that this is a problem in all the showers - and the hotel is just a year old!

I had a major issue with room service who added a hidden "tray charge" of USD5 for every order. I said to the assistant manager that I expected transparency on the menu prices and would vote with my feet on this issue. The charge was dropped and I was told the matter was "on the table"but I doubt the menus will be updated with this charge.

All in all the hotel is OK in 2010, but will age very rapidly is my guess. Service is also below average (Intercon and Fairview a lot better). However if the fitness centre is important and you enjoy a steam bath (I did not try the adjacent sauna), then one can put up with the rest. (The pool is VERY small and more a feature of the patio restaurant).

Portsmouth, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

This 3 week buisiness stay was made so much more enjoyable because the staff were friendly and interested.
Everyone from the restaurant staff with a cheery smile in the morning, the gym and pool staff and not least the lads on the door who were friendly obliging and humerous.

Thanks everyone for a good stay

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

I spent a single night at the new Crowne Plaza in Nairobi and if cost is not a factor, would certainly recommend it. I arranged an airport pick up through the conceirge which went very smoothly, and the driver was exceptionally helpful. I tried the nicer of the two restaurants on site and found the dinner to be superb, though like the rest of the hotel, expensive. The entire place is very well appointed and the room was very comfortable. The trip to/from the airport during rush hour is at least 45 minutes. A very nice stay, but if I was traveling on pleasure, I'd find a much less expensive option.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

well it started nice ; arriving too early for a biz conference we were, as priority members i guess, upgraded to the club floor. nothing to do in the area by the way, it is located in the middle of nowhere. Arrived in the room we decide to make us some tea, but then i was electrocuted by the water heater ... that happens when you put made in china stuff in a 4 star hotel i guess. next day, if you use the fridge for keeping chocolates in it for friends (and belgian beer for me), they lock your fridge. checking your bill you see the airport hotel taxi is per person, not per taxi as we do in civilised western countries .... then after some days when you take a hotel car for dropping off your wife at the airport, it has no working seatbelts in the back, and yes indeed, we get involved in a car crash 500 metres further so we suffer both from a whiplash ... the replacement car, organised quickly and efficiently by john the driver, but also without working seatbelts again ... is not of the hotel and of course on returning the new guy, wilson, wants to charge two times the fixed 25 usd fee, plus a 7 usd tip ... none of the ladies at reception cares ... asking an hour later if the problem has been solved #amongst kenyans# nobody at reception seems to remember ... will check my bill i guess, also you pay usd 30 more for the second person being my wife, but if she leaves, the rate goes not down anymore, a one way elevator .... dear god, it is 1 am in the morning and i have to survive here another two days, can you please teleport me to the serena during my sleep ???

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Crowneplazanairobi, Owner at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
Dear guest, thank you for highlighting your comments expressing disappointment during your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Nairobi.

We have taken note with regards to the water kettle malfunction and it has given us an opportunity to review all of them and ensure the safety measures are in place to avoid such an incident.

Kindly note the mini bar fridges have to be sealed in order for us to keep inventory controls and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

We have investigated your transportation concerns and note that the taxi that you utilised for your transport means was not our selected hotel taxi service. Please note we are not in control of other taxi operators within the vicinity thus we highly recommend use of our selected transportaion company to our guests.

We look forward to welcome you back and offer you a memorable experience next time you are in Nairobi. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on juan.uribe@cpnairobi.com.

Yours sincerely

Juan Uribe

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi? Share your experiences!