“Excellent fitness centre and steam bath” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kenya Road Upper Hill | PO Box 25574, Nairobi 00100, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #16 of 92 hotels in Nairobi
Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
“Excellent fitness centre and steam bath”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

This is the 4th hotel I have stayed in in Nairobi in the last 2 years. It has the best fitness centre and steam bath of the lot, surpassing the sister InterContinental Hotel.

The beds are comfortable but the pillows are huge artificial fabric jobs and although there is a promise to provide you with a pillow of one's choice (5 to choose from including a medium-sized down pillow), when I tried this service another artificial pillow was sent up after 30 minutes but it was just as bad as the ones already on the bed.

The TV is flat screen and large, the internet worked and was included in the price. The buffet breakfasts were also good (nothing special by Nairobi hotel standards), but egg orders were not followed (fired egg became an omelette), and service for coffee was rather slow.

The shower was really not fantastic for a crown Plaza, in about another year the shower head will be totally blocked from the chalk build-up. I was told by other guests that this is a problem in all the showers - and the hotel is just a year old!

I had a major issue with room service who added a hidden "tray charge" of USD5 for every order. I said to the assistant manager that I expected transparency on the menu prices and would vote with my feet on this issue. The charge was dropped and I was told the matter was "on the table"but I doubt the menus will be updated with this charge.

All in all the hotel is OK in 2010, but will age very rapidly is my guess. Service is also below average (Intercon and Fairview a lot better). However if the fitness centre is important and you enjoy a steam bath (I did not try the adjacent sauna), then one can put up with the rest. (The pool is VERY small and more a feature of the patio restaurant).

279 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Portsmouth, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

This 3 week buisiness stay was made so much more enjoyable because the staff were friendly and interested.
Everyone from the restaurant staff with a cheery smile in the morning, the gym and pool staff and not least the lads on the door who were friendly obliging and humerous.

Thanks everyone for a good stay

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

I spent a single night at the new Crowne Plaza in Nairobi and if cost is not a factor, would certainly recommend it. I arranged an airport pick up through the conceirge which went very smoothly, and the driver was exceptionally helpful. I tried the nicer of the two restaurants on site and found the dinner to be superb, though like the rest of the hotel, expensive. The entire place is very well appointed and the room was very comfortable. The trip to/from the airport during rush hour is at least 45 minutes. A very nice stay, but if I was traveling on pleasure, I'd find a much less expensive option.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

well it started nice ; arriving too early for a biz conference we were, as priority members i guess, upgraded to the club floor. nothing to do in the area by the way, it is located in the middle of nowhere. Arrived in the room we decide to make us some tea, but then i was electrocuted by the water heater ... that happens when you put made in china stuff in a 4 star hotel i guess. next day, if you use the fridge for keeping chocolates in it for friends (and belgian beer for me), they lock your fridge. checking your bill you see the airport hotel taxi is per person, not per taxi as we do in civilised western countries .... then after some days when you take a hotel car for dropping off your wife at the airport, it has no working seatbelts in the back, and yes indeed, we get involved in a car crash 500 metres further so we suffer both from a whiplash ... the replacement car, organised quickly and efficiently by john the driver, but also without working seatbelts again ... is not of the hotel and of course on returning the new guy, wilson, wants to charge two times the fixed 25 usd fee, plus a 7 usd tip ... none of the ladies at reception cares ... asking an hour later if the problem has been solved #amongst kenyans# nobody at reception seems to remember ... will check my bill i guess, also you pay usd 30 more for the second person being my wife, but if she leaves, the rate goes not down anymore, a one way elevator .... dear god, it is 1 am in the morning and i have to survive here another two days, can you please teleport me to the serena during my sleep ???

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Crowneplazanairobi, Owner at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
Dear guest, thank you for highlighting your comments expressing disappointment during your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Nairobi.

We have taken note with regards to the water kettle malfunction and it has given us an opportunity to review all of them and ensure the safety measures are in place to avoid such an incident.

Kindly note the mini bar fridges have to be sealed in order for us to keep inventory controls and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

We have investigated your transportation concerns and note that the taxi that you utilised for your transport means was not our selected hotel taxi service. Please note we are not in control of other taxi operators within the vicinity thus we highly recommend use of our selected transportaion company to our guests.

We look forward to welcome you back and offer you a memorable experience next time you are in Nairobi. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on juan.uribe@cpnairobi.com.

Yours sincerely

Juan Uribe
Dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

The Crowne Plaza is a good hotel as i have stayed there before. however, it is probably against all "hospitality" standards to have a booking at a hotel but approach the front desk to discover that they do not have rooms to give out.
nothing to say other than disappointing!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
mjameson, Managing Director at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, November 11, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to highlight your unhappiness with the manner in which you were treated upon arrival at our hotel. You are absolutely correct in your comments as we had overbooked our hotel and I am truly sorry for any frustration and inconvenience that you were caused.

Please contact me when you next intend traveling to Nairobi as I would like to personally ensure that we look after you. I can be contacted via email on jamesonmjj@gmail.com.

Kind regards

Mike Jameson
Managing Director
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

This is a brand new hotel with some excellent facilities, and very friendly staff. However, much as I appreciated their friendliness, a few of them had little understanding of what 'customer service' is actually about. This was apparent at reception, where invariably one member of staff was left to deal with large numbers of guests (Trixie was particularly helpful and patient, but must ask for help - customers should not have to wait 20 - 25 minutes to check out).

The above said, the hotel is modern, airy and pleasant. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, with a good sized bed, mini bar, wifi access, flat screen TV, safe, etc. Chamber service was overall very good, although occasionally inconsistent (e.g. missing towels, complimentary water forgotten, tea biscuits not replaced). However, the room was otherwise well serviced with clean and comfortable bedding, and nightly 'turn-downs'.

The hotel has the usual facilities such as bar, restaurant, gym, spa, pool, business centre, etc. I particularly liked the well equipped gym, sauna and steam room. There is also a 'centre court' swimming pool next to the main restaurant, although its location and design mean the sun is limited to a few hours each day.

The restaurant provided some excellent food, and the buffet was particularly good value for money with a great selection. The 'A La Carte' food prices were reasonable to high, although some were better value than others, however, the wine prices were exorbitant - the cheapest being about $30. I also saw a bottle of 'Jacob's Creek' at $100 (you're having a laugh). Try dropping the prices, or another wine supplier, and you might actually sell some wine!

Service was also a problem in the restaurant, where a large number of staff stood smiling and interacting with guests on arrival - excellent, but do you think you could bring me tea/take my order/clear my table please? Don't get me wrong, I really liked the restaurant staff - they were very friendly and accommodating. However, their training and/or supervision was clearly lacking, and guests had to continually 'ask' for service (a cynic might suggest it is because service charge is included on the bill, and they don't have to try?). On three mornings I arrived at 6am for breakfast only to find no waiting staff or chefs, and a lot of breakfast items missing (e.g. no tea, toaster off, egg station unmanned and hotplate off). Guests in any hotel, let alone a five star, should not have to chase staff to have such fundamentals in place.

Despite my comments regarding some pockets of poor service, my stay at this hotel was overall very pleasant, and I would certainly return.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Following receipt of your review, I have involved myself personally in rectifying the areas where we have fallen short and I will ensure that we improve our service levels. The delay experienced at reception has been corrected and there will be a greater and ongoing management presence in the area. Our not being ready for our guests breakfast needs is not acceptable and I have addressed this and the training need within all our dining facilities and feel confident that this will improve significantly.

We are also reviewing the supply chain for wines with a view to having wines more affordable and reasonable.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

Mike Jameson
Managing Director
sunshineandlaughter
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

Currently staying at the Crowne Plaza for a 2 day business trip and feel i ought to leave an objective overview of my experience thus far.

In short i am a very unhappy customer who is sick of the sacfricice the IHG make in quality by allowing inexperienced and incapable local 'company's' to franchise thier name and offer a substandard service and product.

Less than 3 hours after checking in the list of issues is quite remarkable. I should also note that the check in desk for this 162 room hotel is manned by one person who appeared to be permanently on the phone. So check in itself took 20 minutes even though there was only one customer in front of me.

The room has a leaking minibar which is just producing a steady trickle of water across the tiled floor and nearly caused me to end up on my backside the moment i walked in. The room has an ipod docking station which doesnt work, a tray full of sweets/condoms etc but no price list. Is it even worth asking the question why a regular double room in a supposedly upmarket hotel would contain a tray of condoms??!! I think i will be using the ear plugs tonight. The room service menu tells you prices are all inclusive and each item is more expensive than its identical twin in the hotel restuarant menu but yet when ordered they try to add a further 'tray charge' on top. The phone permanently blinks that you have a message but yet when you check there is no message.

Laundry service inlcudes a 2% 'Training levy'. Apparently guest are expected to pay more because the staff are untranined..... Genius....

Oh, did i mention the location of the hotel is in the middle of a building site? In fact right outside the hotel is a foundation trench 30 x 30 ft filled with stagnant water, malaria anyone?

Seriously IHG, it may enable you to have more hotels in more locations than Hilton or Marriot but the moment you stop managing your hotels and delegate to those who could care less about your brand image, thats when gold priority card holders such as myself ditch the brand permanently and switch to the competition.

As a regular visitor to this city there is much much better value out there, serena, hilton etc. The Crowne plaza may be new but i guess the old saying is true, all that glitters is not always gold.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Crowneplazanairobi, Owner at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, November 3, 2010
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza Nairobi and for taking time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Crowne Plaza Nairobi has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guest's expectations.

We have noted your comments concerning the slow check in and have addressed this issue with the Front Office Manager to ensure high quality of service delivery.

We have also noted your comment in regard to the leaking mini bar and faulty Ipod docking station and wish to confirm that these comments have been shared with our Chief Engineer to ensure that they have been rectified.

Thank you for your comments with regards to the rooms service menu and will be looking into this to be able to review your observations.

With regards to your comment on the training levy for the laundry service please note this is as stipulated in accordance to the Kenya Taxation Law.

We are fully aware of the construction behind our building and have contacted the construction company to ensure high levels of sanitation are kept and currently Nairobi is experiencing short rainfalls.

We highly appreciate your feedback and it will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests. It is such ratings as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Nairobi and any of our IHG Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Juan Uribe

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi? Share your experiences!